Daily Exercise Journal

lmgervais

oh shy, i am sorry about the granny spotting. Are you going to be having surgery or do they want to see if it will heal itself (vertebrae)?

yes, you are using a walker and a cane...but this will pass. i had to use a walker for a little bit also. only for 2 days but it still freaked me out.

slowly you will notice you will get stronger as you heal. Stairs will be a nightmare on your back but you have to conquer them.

Mary, you are right - being thought of as a grandmother before my time was very unnerving - although I still recall the deep shock I felt the first time a young, male cashier called me "Ma'am". I was only seventeen! He couldn't have been much younger than that himself. Hmmm ... did you notice that each transgressor was male? Not that it means anything ... but it does strike me as significant ...

Heidi, it's been two months already, the actual fracture is more than likely healed already, it's the other stuff that's bothering me ... 'nuff said. (I am trying to be patient.) I'm pretty sure surgery won't be required, thank goodness.

I do appreciate how lucky I am - I could have been hurt far worse - it's just nice to be able to explain/complain here, knowing that no-one will judge me for it. :p

I realise that others (including yourself) have had a tougher time of it.

It'll just be nice to have aches from exercising myself silly - once I'm able. :chat:

It'll just be nice to have aches from exercising myself silly - once I'm able. :chat:

I long for when that will be the case again! My back injury happened a bit over six weeks ago and I'm still using a walker or my grocery cart when I leave my apartment, and keep the walker right by my bed "just in case". It's better, but brother, is it taking a long time. Now I understand why my poor mother would burst into tears when her back "grabbed" her, when she had trouble with a degenerated disk many years ago. Not funny at all.

And yes, I did notice that the "Ma'am"-er's and the "let me help you out" ones DO seem to be all male. Must be we're running into the very few still out there who actually have some training to be gentlemen! This afternoon I walked down to the hardware store with my little old lady's white wire grocery cart, got a big bag of potting soil off their lot, bought some flower pots inside, and when I came out and was pushing my cart toward home, a beautiful young man (couldn't have been 20 yet) asked was I okay and offered to haul my stuff home in his pickup! I say, there are few enough polite and caring people out there these days, and we should appreciate and praise the ones who DO offer to help!

Fred dragged me out yesterday for our mile and probably the same today. It is spring like. Not to to warm but enough to get you to sweat. He wants to venture for into other regions of the city with me...walking. I said we better do it now before it gets hot..once it gets hot, my behind will be exercising in the air conditioned gym. haha

Mary, I know just how you feel! :lol:

You're right, we should be appreciative of others when they show respect or offer help. (Although I'm not sure that assuming I'm a grandmother falls under either category.) I'm afraid that I don't always have the best attitude - but I do try my best! :p

Which reminds me of something that happened when I was younger. I took dance lessons, and was having a tough time with a particular move. The instructor was insisting that I repeat it until I got it right. I hated to disappoint her, so I said, "I'm trying." To which she replied dryly, "You certainly are!" :)

Heidi - good for you, and Fred! :flowers:

• 4 weeks later...

Some of you may have seen my spout off on FB last night. It was cryptic because the people I am angry at are also FB friends.

My two buddies (and I use that term loosely) decided to start walking for health (they both smoke) and neglected to tell me or invite me.

I was not asked because...

1. When I walk and talk (i can walk at swift pace, sweating, breathing heavy but can talk), I am wasting my air for socializing instead of exercise. It shows that I am not SERIOUS.

2. My legs are shorter then theirs. I hold up their pace. Ummm. I was walking with them yesterday and they were huffing and puffing at MY pace.

3. My back surgery. My distress and pain distracts them. I will start to get pain in the home stretch but I am not screaming in agony.

I cried. and then I got mad.

Fine you so and sos. I will show you what a serious change is.

They said all this to me yesterday after I had a not so good dr appt. He told me that I had to loose the weight gain from the surgery (and more) or I can end up with insulin shots with every meal (on top of all the other meds). My sugars are good now but I took that as a threat.

Oh and supposedly I am some sort of wimp because I cannot walk every single day. Ummm. I have not seriously walked in YEARS! and I had surgery. They have not seriously exercised in years either...It is gonna bite them in the butt.

Okay..rant is done.

I just had lunch. 3 egg white omelet with onion, garlic whips, and cherry tomatoes with a sliced pear. No toast, no cheese.

Dinner is tacos but we are using ground turkey and I am only going to have 2.

Heidi, I lost a total of 40 pounds last year. My friends would go with me sometimes to walk but I found that they always wanted to go out and eat afterward or they would plan to go and not show up and they would tell me I would not lose the weight simply by walking. I lost my 1st 15 pounds by doing just the walking. My friends teased me at first saying I will disappear or that I lost my "butt" and all of that stuff. I am still considered "overweight" by my doctors standards, and I work out at home or I go to the gym mostly alone because NO ONE and I mean just that, cares about ME and MY health the way I do and I just continue on. Keep your head up and continue on without them.

You will accomplish great things without the drama that other people can add to your life. I have been and still am cutting things and people lose who are not healthy for me. You are a Beautiful & Wonderful person. Keep your head up and chant that to yourself all while you are walking. You will become who you say you are!

Hugs to you sweetheart!! You can do it!

Thank you Tracy.

These are the two that decided to do Zumba without telling me. Guess what? They are not doing it anymore. I need an iPod. I have to do it for me but right now (i know this is wrong)..i am moving a bit with the soul motivation to say I TOLD YOU SO! ROFL

I am still going to do a dollhouse. I am going to pick up the Pomeroy and work on it finally.

Oh and Tracy...

Congratulations on the hard work. There is nothing wrong with losing a little junk in the trunk..just do not lose it all..ROFL

I have not read this thread all the way through so forgive me is this link was already posted. I am nearing 40 and finding that weight has crept on me. I used to be able to lose it so fast, but not anymore. I don't need to lose a lot - but I would rather spend my money on minis instead of clothes. I have clothes that could fit me if I just lose some weight.

Anyway - I fell across calorie count.com http://caloriecount.about.com/ I registered and put in my height/weight/frame and medical issues. It gave me my calorie allowance a day. I used to be (still am) a grazer - but now that I am using this site to log ALL my food, I plan so much better. I have lost 8lbs in 3 weeks. What is nice is that I still can have my junk, but I am learning all about moderation.

One good excercise I have found to be great is walking in the trails. I can feel it the next day. Just don't forget the bug spray!

Don't let friends get you down. they are supossed to be there for you through Thick and Thin - but just don't get thinner than they are. That means you set out to what you accomplished. My friend/co-worker will say to me 'oh, you will eat that'. little does she know but her negativity helps me. I am stubborn and will show her!

Check out the site. It really is an eye opener. Especially reading serving sizes!

"Friends" like that you can definitely do without, Heidi. Anger is a powerful force, that can be utilized in a positive way. Anger gives you energy. May the Force be with you! :pcwhack:

• 2 weeks later...

I went to the gym for the third consecutive day! :)

Friday I spent 10 minutes on the treadmill, 6 minutes rowing, 2 or 3 weight machines, then .5 miles in the pool. On the way out I signed up for the boot camp workout class which had been offered previously when I couldn't make it.

So I managed to make it to boot camp class and nearly died. My heart rate ranged between 136-176 (up to 98% capacity :banana: ). Being that the previous time it had been billed as a Biggest Loser style workout, I expected other heavy people, but I clearly outweighed the heaviest person by 50 pounds. Some things I simply couldn't do because of ankle problems, so I tried the closest approximation as I could. After the class was over the teacher selected me as the "rock star", probably because I managed to finish the hour long class. After wards I swam, but I was all over the lane, so I stuck to .25 miles.

Today I went back. I did 10 minutes on the treadmill, did some sit ups, did 20 more minutes on the treadmill, some weight machines (I'm having trouble remembering how to adjust some of them), then did .5 mile in the pool.

I decided to try some of the exercises from the class in the pool, where my weight would not be a factor and if I fell no injury would result. A lady swimmer gave me a tip on one swimming stroke to make it more efficient; I don't know how well I did the new version of the stroke, but I could feel more was going on with the abdominal muscles.

So now I'm a little sore, but not to immobility. I have an appointment set up with a trainer for Tuesday so we can try to work on setting up a workout tailored to me.

I think I'm in trouble. The trainer is already assuming I'll be back for the next boot camp class. ;) I'll survive, I just won't be able to breathe.

My ankle started bothering me while I was on the treadmill last night so I've been taking it easy. Doubtless it is very confused by what is going on. If it's still bothering me tomorrow, I'll do water walking and running, which always makes me think of the old 6 Million Dollar Man special effects. :mellow:

Today was another lighter workout. My ankle is bothering me still, but it's not getting worse. I did 15 minutes on the treadmill and a lot more time in the pool doing exercises. One muscle on the right side of my stomach protests very loudly during certain activities and a few other muscles (none of which are aching with their opposite) are aching - those pains will diminish with time as my body gets used to the increased activity.

I babysat today, so I used William or Alex as weights for three of my elements, which is much more fun than a barbell, because they smile, coo, and, unfortunately occasionally dribble. Since I'm sitting again tomorrow, we'll do it all over again.

Just finished my workout! I did Turbo Jam Cardio Party! Gosh my abs hurt so bad from yesterday that I was unsure if I would workout today but I did it and I feel so happy that I did it. I naturally hate working out but I guess I am hooked on the results. Keep it up Lynette! Even light workouts help because you are being consistent! ;)

You go, Tracy! ;)

Thank you Lynette and Tracy - you're keeping me inspired! (Although I can't do any exercising on my own yet, I am doing stretches and so forth at Physio.)

I took Thursday off to give my ankle a break and it seems to have worked. Friday I did 15 minutes on the treadmill and a half mile in the pool - I might have done more, but I wanted to do as well as I could at the boot camp exercise class Saturday.

A different person taught Boot Camp this week (sounds like they trade off between 3 teachers). This week's teacher didn't do as much running and jumping across the room, which was fine with me, she spent more time with stretching, which is great because I'm still quite flexible despite my weight.

I notice that (generally) it is taking more activity to get my heart rate past 70% with a quicker recovery time, so I think my body is starting to adjust to the idea of more activity. :hug:

You're doing so well, Lynette! :hug:

I went to a circus show yesterday - my older brother was in it. (It's an annual showcase.) He does trapeze and the "Russian bar". Watching all those strong, supple, fit bodies performing made me yearn to get back in shape! I can't wait until my physiotherapist gives me the green light!