Daily Exercise Journal

lmgervais

Yesterday I had a lighter workout, okay it didn't feel light. 10 minutes treadmill, 10 minutes bike, .75 mile in the pool.

Today I had to contend to with the limited bus schedule of the legal holiday to take the Tiara to dialysis. Since it neatly broke up the day I had to skip the swim. I did 15 minutes treadmill, 15 minutes bike, weights, then 30 more minutes on the treadmill.

It's nice to see that you're still going strong, Lynette! The rest of us can aspire to follow your example. I was at a friends' cottage for a few days, and we were quite active. They have two older Labrador dogs that we took for walks. The oldest dog is seventeen (!!!) years old, and couldn't go very far, or for very long ... which matched my style for now. :cry: The physiotherapist has said that I can do walking now, so that's a great "step forward". :D

Wow, Lynette, you ROCK!! I am going to join our local gym soon, but just can't afford it right now. Meantime, I'm a little restricted in how much walking I can do (foot still healing, slooooowly), but I can and am doing some stretching exercises. Have seriously gone back to the cardiac diet that lost me 80 pounds a while back and am seeing results from that - hallelujah!! It's funny how losing 15 pounds when you're ill can make you get off your can to make the changes necessary to keep on losing the remaining mumble-mumble excess pounds. :cry:

Rosalind - a 17-year-old Labrador??? Now, THAT is amazing!

Fred and I are back in the saddle again..LOL

We walked up the BIG HILL and down around and up another BIG HILL. We walked about 1 and a half. It was at 8am when we did this. Why? Because right now it is 100 deg F. It was about 80ish this morning so we got a good sweat going on.

I actually feel good. Not tired one bit.

ROFL! You are all dirty dirty minded! hahaha

I am the dirty minded one and I did not even go there.

It is almost 6pm and still not tired so that walk did some good. Not going outside though..it is over 100 deg f.

Have seriously gone back to the cardiac diet that lost me 80 pounds a while back and am seeing results from that - hallelujah!! It's funny how losing 15 pounds when you're ill can make you get off your can to make the changes necessary to keep on losing the remaining mumble-mumble excess pounds. :D

That's quite an accomplishment! It makes a huge difference on how your back and joints feel.

I once lost 40 pounds and felt so much better, unfortunately it came back in the last few years, which is why I'm working so hard. My doctor has suggested gastric bypass surgery, but I'm loathe to do something so drastic. One friend did it with great results and her daughter had less than desirable results, so it seems like a bit of a crap shoot.

I haven't lost more weight since the first week ended, but I can feel long dormant muscles making progress. Fat weighs less than muscle but takes up more space, so I could be making progress not being reflected on the scale. So I took measurements to monitor my progress, including a couple of unconventional ones on the belly and posterior which aren't reflected in the standard ones. The areas I feel most change are the the upper arms and the top 2/3rds of my ribcage (perhaps an inch).

So the pool was down to 69 degrees! :cry: There was a sign on the door saying the pool was very cold and to use at your own risk, which somewhat amused me at the disclaimer, but there is a phenomenon known as dry drowning or laryngospasm where the heart stops because of the shock of sudden immersion in water which isn't necessarily that cold (moral of the story - go in the water slowly, don't jump in!) So I did 20 minutes on my favorite treadmill in the path of the air conditioner vent, 20 minutes on the bike, weights, land based physical therapy exercises, and stretching.

I've been able to use the chest strap for constant monitoring of the heart rate for a more accurate overview of my activity (before I was doing periodic samples of my heart rate). The watch is programmed with your gender, weight, and age and calculates how much time in fat burning and aerobic ranges, percentage of total heart rate capacity, calories burned, top heart rate and average heart rate. The one drawback on this watch is that you can't reset the chronograph any time you want. Oh well... it was in my price range and the body bug wasn't. :p

Oh, yeah, at 320+ I was having trouble doing ordinary things like tying my shoes (grunt, struggle!!), not to mention just plain getting from one place to another on my own two feet. That 80 pounds made a big, big difference and I've pretty much kept it off, with the exception of putting 25 of it back on during the winter of 2008. That was my first winter here in the mountains and I just flat out hibernated that winter for lack of snow boots and warm clothing. That weight's gone again and then some, and being some years older now, I feel a real need to get rid of the rest just to feel better.

I'm a little leery of gastric surgery, too, because it does seem to have such mixed results, call me chicken.:cry: Though some years ago breast reduction surgery was recommended to me (my back was/still is killing me a lot of the time), it's something I just hate to do UNTIL I lose all that extra padding. Maybe those things will get smaller, too? One can hope!!

And you're right, Lynette - your weight may not change all that much, at least for a while, but I'll bet you are replacing fatty tissue with muscle like mad. Bet you do see some serious changes in those measurements as you keep on with your workouts - how exciting! :D

He he he, when I went out to the farmer's market on Sunday, the only clean pair of jeans I had was a pair that I was wearing just a few months ago (my largest size - like all folks with weight issues I have a range of clothes LOL). Little loose when I put them on and I thought, great! Was having to hold onto the darn things to keep from losing them by the time I got home - WHOOPEEEE!!!!

I was watching Dr. Oz on a piece on weight loss. He says "no fat clothes!", meaning if they are too big you must get rid of them, hanging on to them is preparing to fail. I do believe in hanging onto a single pair of pants so you can see how far you've come.

Oh, I agree - get rid of them! That pair of jeans was one I was wearing not long ago at all, and is my only pair in that size. Might keep them as a souvenir - I have only one shirt left from the truly huge days, and I'll never part with it. It's the last item I have that my mother made for me, years before she died and back when she still loved to sew (and could).

Good stuff happening! :cry: It's too hot and humid here to walk, so just trying to stay cool indoors. (We have one window air conditioner that has to do its best at cooling down the whole house!)

As I mentioned in Grazhe's thread, all y'all who are experiencing triple-digit heat indeces (temps + humidity), stay indoors as much as possible, wear loose, light-colored clothing and fabrics that will wick away the perspiration better than cotton, and if you must go outside, wear a big, floppy hat to shade your face & neck and wear a high-spf sunscreen. Also drink LOTS of water.

Holly, what fabric works better than cotton? I thought it was the best thing to wear, because your skin can breathe through it. I make a point of wearing all cotton if possible. I'd love to know if there is something that will keep me even cooler!

Underarmour makes teeshirts in a wonderful soft poly knit with something they call "elastane". I wear the poly/ dac fishing shirts with the vented backs, they look & breathe like cotton but if you sweat as heavily as I do they dry nearly instantly and the evaporation cools me off, to boot. I also love the "convertible" pants of the same fabrics, the lower legs zip off to become shorts, and I'm too old to care if my varicose veins and cellulite show that close to my knees, I'm comfy!

Do not worry about us Holly. I went out at 7am to water the garden at home and then the plots. It was very pleasant. Then Fred and I walked around 830am. It was overcast most of the day so it was not as bad as predicted. We have sunscreen and bottles of water for our walks.

There are a couple of other reasons to make sure you stay well-hydrated when it's hot: gout and kidney stones. Gout doesn't just happen to old men who "indulge" too much - it's a very painful condition caused by a build-up of uric acid in one or more joints, usually in a foot or a hand, and hot weather without drinking enough water can bring this on. Same with kidney stones - and NO ONE wants any of THOSE things!!

So, do drink that water, fruit juice, or iced tea, and lots of it!!

I picked up some capri and "boot cut" pants at Walmart marketed under the Danskin label for $13 and $15 respectively. They are 90% cotton and are supposed to wick moisture from the body and antimicrobial to prevent odor. I've been very pleased with them, especially after wearing an old pair of shorts to the gym and being soaked with sweat on the weight machines. They come in plus sizes too.

The trainer I talked to said I should drink a gallon of water a day, which I'm not meeting. He says drinking plenty of water is needed to stimulate weight loss (and rehydrate). I've virtually cut out the diet Mountain Dew, partially because I have more energy and partially because I'm running low. I'm taking a thermogenic diet pill, which I'm sure has caffeine; previously I had lost 40 pounds while taking it, then my source dried up but I've discovered it available at the grocery store by the gym. I'm also trying to drink green tea and have been making up pitchers of Crystal Light.

Today I went to the gym for a couple of hours (babysitting prevented pool time, I might go back later at night). I did 40 minutes on the treadmill, 20 minutes on the bike, and weights. I signed up for the alternate location's Thursday night Boot Camp class and hope I can handle a second one. :cry:

Fruit juices contain fructose, which is a CARB and tea contains caffeine, which is a DIURETIC (forces liquid OUT of the body). Your normal water output (persiration & urine) is 1.5-2 litres/quarts per day, so you should be putting at least that amount of water back in; and when you're physically active, you need at least another litre or two. When I'm not active I drink an 8-10 oz glass of water every couple of hours, and when we're physically active I go through two 1-litre bottles of water plus another litre every hour afterwards until I'm not thirsty any more. The nylon/ polyester dries more rapidly than cotton, when you live in a place with the high humidity we get in FL, and the evaporation of the drying is cooling.

Hoooo, you're right, Holly - scratch the fruit juice and iced tea (unless caffeine-free herbal). I drink very little of either, just that one necessary cuppa strong black tea in the morning (you don't wanna know me without it!). Mostly I drink gallons of water kept cold in the fridge, start out each morning with at least three glasses before the tea....Needless to say, I DO know where all the restrooms in town are! :cry:

Also forget soda of any sort, sugar-free or not. I was drinking a couple cans a day a while back - it was freely available where I was staying and very tempting - and found myself bloating up pretty badly. My doctor said cut out the soda, that that was what was doing it, and he was right.

I so totally agree about the "fat clothes"!! I got rid of mine and sheesh, I KNOW that's why I've been dying to lose the 10 pounds I had gained in April. My clothes were no longer comfortable :D Now I have lost it again and I have another 10 to go (I do it by 10 pounds each to keep me focused).

My oldest Daughter Rachel has been doing the workouts with me (Turbo Jam) Cause we both like the fast music :p I am having issues this week though. I keep getting so tiered a couple hours later. I know its cause of the Graves disease and I simply can't give in because the kids are home and I just have too much to do. Weekends I have been like a zombie though. I hope I snap out of it soon :D I have cancel my doctors appointment 4 times and I have one coming up next week... I think I better go this time. I feel tiered like you do when you are pregnant (Well, we know that ain't the cause since I took care of that one 3 years ago :cry: )

It's so encouraging to hear from everyone! Keep it up! It's inspiring to have so much in common with my friends here!