Cats and New Carpets!!!

SallyG

What is it about a cat and a new carpet? 

A few days ago, my sister-in-law gave me a gorgeous 10'x12' handmade needlepoint rug for my living room. Her boss had given it to her. His wife is always redecorating and he brings in things for his staff. Since she is the senior member, she gets first choice of the stash. Since the boss is very well off, the items are always of the best quality. 

She wanted to put it in her formal living room, but it was just too big, so she knew I was looking for a carpet for our living room and called me to come over and look at it. It was perfect..a nice sienna brown shade, with a rose pattern of pinkish red and cream roses, with green vines. It had also been quite expensive. So, I lug it home, set it up, which was no easy task, since we have a large sectional which had to be taken apart and moved. My husband was on his way to work so I had to do it alone...but I was anxious to get it set up and see how it looked.

Finally...everything was in place and the carpet looked absolutely beautiful..like it was made for that room. I admired it for awhile, then decided to go back to doing some work on my genealogy in my office. I was working steadily along when I heard...

"a-hack, A-Hack...A-HACK...!!!!"

If you have cats, you know what that signifies. I rushed into the livingroom...but the deed had been done! Kitty was strolling away, with a backward glance over his shoulder at me. 

Why, why, why does a cat have to upchuck on whatever carpet is obviously the nicest and most expensive in the house? The carpet remnants in front of the doors he ignores. The wall to wall carpet in the bedrooms he also avoids. His preference is the fringe on the oriental carpet in the entry, the nice fluffy large bath rug in the master bath, or NOW the beautiful needlepoint rug in the livingroom. 

Argggghhhh!

Well if it isn't upchuck on the most expensive carpet it will be done at night, right where you step when you are wandering the house at 2am heading to the bathroom..Never over in the corner out of the way. Itis done to retaliate for something you did that displeaased them earlier n the day.

Ours left a gift for us on the couch, on 2 cushions, mind you. Even after cleaning and Zorbex-ing it still smelled terrible! So I took the covers off, washed them with dish detergent, and they are in the sun out back. I hope they dry ok.

Yeah, they do that. We have lots of easy-to-clean tile in our house..but they choose the carpet every time...or the bed, or the pillow, or the comfortor, or the.... whatever is soft and nice underfoot, while they go akk-akkk-akkk. Gotta love 'em. :)

One of our Shih-Tzus does the same kind of thing, only on my king size quilt on our bed. It won't fit in the washing machine, so everytime he does it, it means a trip to the laundromat and the industrial size washers and dryers. I finally started laying an old white ambulance blanket over the bed-looks real attractive, but usually I remember to take it off before guests come over. And I swear, before they leave, he will have thrown up on it!

how come they NEVER throw up on easy to clean surfaces. Always on carpet. one time i was fast enough and shoved a paper plate under him. now if it was always that easy....

how come they NEVER throw up on easy to clean surfaces. Always on carpet. one time i was fast enough and shoved a paper plate under him. now if it was always that easy....

Ewwww! Creative but still Ewww!

When they start hacking I try to nudge them closer to the floor instead of the carpet. Chingy was notorious for puking on my bed! Never failed. Right in the middle of the comforter then I would have to take the whole thing to the laundramat. I miss him terribly but I do not miss THAT. LOL

If puke grosses you out, the pet store actually sells this stuff you can shake on it and it dries it up so it is easier to clean up.

After raising 4 boys, and the accompanying diapers, upchuck, blood, etc., nothing really fazes me. I learned pretty quickly that poo will not kill you if it gets on your hands, and I lost count of the number of times a son upchucked down the front of me. 

Cats, however, are different. I do believe they can vomit at will. This little buzzard has not thrown up for weeks and weeks...and 5 mins after a new carpet goes down, he throws up his breakfast??? Not to mention the smug look he gave me as he sauntered away. 

Oh, well...regardless....they are my furry little angels and it's hard to get upset at those little cat faces!!!

I have one room with carpet. It is ruined. The tile and wood floors - pristine. I am working on paint colors, then I will redo the room and the carpet is going to go. I am putting in tile. I have one room with wool aubusson rugs and I keep the door shut.

I think another reason that a cat will choose either carpet or bed linen for their favourite throw up spot, is absorbability. If they throw up on hard flooring, some of the vomit will riccochet back into their faces. The carpet and soft throws will absorb. That's my thoughts. As we all know, cats think about their own comfort and convenience above all else.

-Susanne

As for tile, grout stains terribly, cat puke, worst thing, may as well drop a black stain on it.

I upgraded to stain proof carpeting, let it dry, vacuum it up. QED.

The day I bought my new expensive comforter for the bed I put it on the bed, stepped back and looked at how nice it looked. in the meantime a couple of the cats jumped up on the bed....you know how snoopy they are....well one started trying to hack up a hairball immediately. i moved him into the bathroom (linoleum)....and he ran back up and jumped onto the bed!!!! i moved him again. he did manage to get the deed done on my carpet. glad it wasn't on my new comforter.

i sometimes find surprise landmines on the carpet when i get up in the middle of the night to use the bathroom. what a yuck feeling.

we finally found a food that didnt make Shadow throw up all the time but then my dads fiance moved in, brought her cat Fatty and he cant keep the food that agrees with Shadow down! so theres still barf everywhere! i have no problem with the litter box but i cant clean up the puke... bleh!

Our furbaby Trixie had a habit of standing on the carpet and turning so that she would hit the floor instead, she was sooo good at this, I think she wanted to stand "safe" while hacking so to speak...

Hugs

Trixie was amazingly thoughtful! :groucho:

I clean up the throw-up by lifting it very gently off the carpet, in a paper towel - then sprinkle baking soda on the "remains". Let it dry, and brush it up. A little spot cleaning to make sure it's all gone - sprinkle a little more baking soda, and then a good vacuum when that's dry.