No longer the hair color virgin

ilovecats

Well so i've always planned on coloring my hair after the gray started taking over and i knew i'd do a hint of red to add a slight change...i don't like boring black....so now that i'm at that place and need to start coloring my hair I really wanted this really intense shade of red like the chickie singer from Paramore or even the chickie singer from Angelzoom (hers is a little darker red in color which i really like)....but I decided that it may not suit me (my complexion etc)....so I decided to go with a less intense red color for now and build my way up if I like the look. So I figure burgundy is a good place to start but after i get to the salon i find a color that is somewhere in the middle of burgundy and vibrant red. So I'm anticipating this intense pretty shade of burgundyish red that is eye catching to look at. Unfortunately it's not as extreme of a change as I was hoping for. How do I tell them next time that I want an intense change??? like i want the color to POP??? i have almost black hair as a base. would i have to get my hair bleached first then have a color applied? how do you get that extreme color change???? please give me some advice!!!!!

Call it my midlife crisis hair color change if you want....but i'm tired of admiring other peoples awesome eye catching hair colors, I don't want to be the boring person who wants to do things but holds myself back all my life.

I'm pretty excited about having my hair colored tho! It was fun. I'm ready to do it again right this moment! :D:D

Good for you. I'm guessing that since it was your very first time, your hairdresser leaned towards being a little more conservative. Give it a few weeks and then go and talk to her/him again. Let him/her know what you'd like and they'll explain it to you.

A few weeks back, my hairdresser did use some peroxide to lighten my streaks. I've usually got very dark brown hair, but now its a much lighter, softer shade of brown with blonde highlights. While I'm still not totally sure about the lighter hair colour, I do like the blonde streaks. With the right hair cut, it also emphasizes the colour variances.

I'd love to see a photo of your new look.

Hugs

-Susanne

Lucky you for just now having to color your hair! I started getting gray at 18 and it only got worse

I am 39 now and almost totally white headed if I let my hair go...

One of my bosses calls me the old gray mare lol he is crazy we joke all the time..

But I love doing stuff my hair.. About five months ago when I lost the 100 lbs I cut all my hair off! :D

My mom freaked out cause she always loved long hair on me and never wants me to cut it lol

I donated it to locks of love so it was a good cause...

Now I am letting it grow back out but it is taking forever lol...

My hair has been dirty blonde, blonde, brown, Red, strawberry blonde

I wanted a purple streak through it.... but I would have had to hide it

underneath cause we are not aloud to have anything that doesn't seem natural at work sigh!

They don't know how to have fun hehehe

Marg,

I had done burgundy for many years. It looks really nice and it gives a real POW when it hits the light. I think you will like it very much. Subtle in normal everyday instances but when you go out in the sun, you will sparkle!

I lost my virginity when I was 12 years old and got hold of a bottle of Sun in. Remember that stuff? I never looked back after that. I have been every color under the rainbow..literally.

Blonde, black, chestnut, red, Ronald Mcdonald red, purple, blue, streaks, foils, hennas, etc etc etc. I am surprised I still have hair on my head. Now I color it to my *natural* shade of chestnut brown. I do not know what I will do when the real greys start to come in. My mom was a salt and pepper. Maybe in ten years I will just let it go.

Heidi, I guess I wasn't really the virgin I thought...hehe...I forgot about sun in. We used it all the time when we were teenagers. I've had red hair before. i forgot about that.

I guess I was the going to the salon for hair color virgin...lol.

wow, you really have had alot of colors!

my sis in law did the ronald mcdonald red. she was quite startling. it was flattering on her tho.

Lucky you for just now having to color your hair! I started getting gray at 18 and it only got worse

I am 39 now and almost totally white headed if I let my hair go...

One of my bosses calls me the old gray mare lol he is crazy we joke all the time..

But I love doing stuff my hair.. About five months ago when I lost the 100 lbs I cut all my hair off! :groucho:

My mom freaked out cause she always loved long hair on me and never wants me to cut it lol

I donated it to locks of love so it was a good cause...

Now I am letting it grow back out but it is taking forever lol...

My hair has been dirty blonde, blonde, brown, Red, strawberry blonde

I wanted a purple streak through it.... but I would have had to hide it

underneath cause we are not aloud to have anything that doesn't seem natural at work sigh!

They don't know how to have fun hehehe

Congrats on the weight loss!!!!!!!!!!

It is fun to do some alterations isn't it? Got so inspired so I plonked a bottle of colouring in my own hair a little wile ago and have just rinsed it...

Hugs

Back in the day, for several years, I had my blonde hair rinsed and streaked. Wish I could recover what I paid for all of that. Anyway, when the gray began to show, the beautician asked if I wanted to color my hair. Nope. I looked at it as Mother Nature's Free Streaking. Today it's a platinum silver, but, strangely enough, when I look in the mirror I see ash blonde. If I could figure out how to get out of the mirror ... :groucho:

i have never had my hair colored before my were are planinng s huge family get together at disneyworld in november and have decided to surprise my hubby with a hair do and some nice high lights i have never got my hair done like that before just a trim here and there but im 26 and decided itsabout time to have some fun :groucho: just have not decided what colr high lights i want yet i want some thing pretty but not really crazy i have dark brown hair i was thinking aubern

Good for you Marg! It's such fun to color your hair and make changes when the mood strikes you. I'm a natural blonde, so when I lost my hair color virginity I used L'Oreal's temporary dyes that only lasted for 7 days. That was fun! I was changing my color every week! I ran thru most of the red spectrum with great glee.

I finally settled on nutmeg which is a black with red tones and went semi-permanent with that for about 15 years. Lately it's been too difficult for me to dye 4 feet of hair on a regular basis so I'm letting it fade out. (The good thing about semi-permanent is that it fades out without lines). I was interested in seeing what color my hair would be when I quit dying it.......blonde or grey. Turns out to be more of a white than grey so that's good. I know that life would be easier if I didn't have to comb and braid 4 feet of hair every day but I just can't bring myself to cut it off.

Deb

I've done my hair off and on since I was 15! I don't like the fact my hair got darker as I got older: my first color photo shows me with a hint of strwaberry blonde, I remember having golden blonde locks as a kid. Who wants to be dishwater blonde? Have you looked at dishwater? Its ugly! So its back to golden blonde, occasionally a little darker, sometimes a hint of strawberry. A friend thinks I should go true brunette. The best part is, only I know when the gray started making an appearance!

i have never had my hair colored before my were are planning s huge family get together at Disney world in November and have decided to surprise my hubby with a hair do and some nice high lights i have never got my hair done like that before just a trim here and there but im 26 and decided its about time to have some fun :giggle: just have not decided what colr high lights i want yet i want some thing pretty but not really crazy i have dark brown hair i was thinking auburn

Traci, go to a great salon that has a good colorist. They can steer you in the right direction. You may want to have your new highlights (and maybe some lowlights) be as natural looking as possible. Meaning..you do not want to shock YOURSELF when you look in the mirror. That would be a great first time color. Once you have dived into the world of hair color, you can experiment with other things.

I had my whole head done in blonde. Every time I looked in the mirror I shocked myself. That was a bad sign. I waited a week, put a ballcap on my head, and went straight to the store to color it back to normal..LOL

Blonde streaks are fine with me (on me) but the whole head does not go with my complexion.

It is sad really. My Dad was Swedish/Norwegian. Blonde hair and ice blue eyes. We all took after my Mom..Chestnutty red hair and hazel eyes.

My hair went darker as I got older, and it apparently killed my DM, who apparently wanted a blonde daughter with curly hair; every year without fail throughout elementary school I was dragged to the hair dresser for a tight perm so I looked like a poodle the first three months of school. The summer between 6th & 7th grades she would grab me in a hammerlock and comb "Lighter & Brighter" through my hair; that stopped the day I came home from 7th grade in tears because everyone called me "Bleachie" (I was the kind of kid people left alone, and I liked it that way; DM wanted me to be "popular")' I got a wonderful haircut!

When we lived in Hawaii the sun did another bleach job on my hair, turning it a dark auburn, so when we got back I hit it with Clairol's dark auburn to match (streaky color wasn't in vogue in N GA at the time) and gradually went darker until I saw back to the normal color, which it still is! When my parents & grandma went gray it was a dark salt & pepper, but according to family lore my paternal grandfather died in his 80s without turning gray...

I dyed my hair for years, until I realized I no longer really remembered what color it was, only that I hadn't liked it so much. That was back when I was also getting perms, which lightened and fried it. So, when I let it grow out, I was surprised to find that it was actually a really beautiful glossy chestnut color. Shock of my life! Haven't dyed it since. :yes:

After fighting my gray hair for too many years to count - mine is almost pure white now - though my hair cutting expert tells me that the proper color is silver-white. Whatever it is, I can tell you I'm glad I stopped coloring my hair. But do it if it makes you feel good. I did that for about 11 years.....now I'm happy in my "silver-white" tresses.....

Marg, I've been every color and the one I loved the most was very very dark brown. I developed an allergy to dyes and had to give up coloring it besides the fact that it was falling out badly. Now it's almost all grey and I'm still not liking it.

I agree, be shocking, be eye popping. It's fun!

I used to color my own (I did it at 26, 36, 46) and in my 30's I had gotten tired of doing the root touch up and tried to put it back to my natural color - which is a medium brown. So I bought the color and applied it. When I rinsed it out it was black!! Quite a shock. I wrapped a towel on my head and drove in a panic to my hairdressers. When I told him what I had done, he said I was lucky I didn't make it GREEN!! He fixed my hair and I let him do my colors from then on.

I was born with blonde that turned to a dishwater blonde for a while and then into a light brown. Now I'm 32 and it's a medium brown with no gray. I've dyed it with semi-permanent in shades of red and darker brown. My sister's natural color is a dark brown auburn and looks great, which she doesn't like, so one day I decided to dye my light-medium brown hair really dark, thinking that if it looks good on her then it will on me. Not so. It looked terrible. Luckily is was semi-permanent and I washed it about 5 times that night with dish liquid (recommended from internet) because darker semi dye often goes permanent. Luckily for me it came out.

They say if you want a change to take a baby picture in to your hair dresser so they can get a shade that matches your skin tone. My sister inherited my mom's thick dark hair while I inherited my dad's baby fine light hair. I love really dark hair, but since it looks terrible on me I might go back to blonde for awhile. Right now it's 100% dye free and while I don't need to dye it I'm not going to worry about it. I'm going to enjoy my natural color while I can.

As for length, I go from long to short and back again. It gets to below my shoulders and I get the urge to chop it all off. It grows back so I'm not afraid of cutting it all off. I'd love a pixie, but because it's baby fine with cowl licks all over it it would not lay right. I'm thinking of getting a short bob for summer.

Started off nice and light blond... it is getting darker, and I don't want it to!! I am nearly 28 though, so have enjoyed quite a few years of it. Very, very occastionally I've done the 'at home' lightening thing and liked it, but don't think you've ever been able to see a dye line when it has grown out, so hasn't been that much lighter! I had some henna dye put in when I was about 11 - a summer holiday treat if I remember correctly. It did seem to stick around for much longer than the few washes it was supposed to last though.

I go through phases of wanting to do stuff with my hair. I've always had long hair - the shortest it was ever cut was chin length. It is fine and rather thin hair. I keep thinking I might cut it again, but then it does take years and years to grow back, so end up not daring. Have also on occasion wanted redder hair, but Chris has resisted, and haven't felt the need to strongly enough to do it anyway.

Now thinking i might cut it again so it grows back a bit more before the wedding in 14 months or so.... or maybe not... :D

I wish sometimes I'd never started coloring my hair. It had a much nicer texture back before. Still, Jim told me my hair was much older than my face probably 8 years ago, so I started then.

I do not regret coloring my hair when I was young. It was the 80s. That is what we girls did. We colored it, curled it, teased it, and sprayed it into submission with a big old can of Aqua net. There may be a hurricane blowing outside but our hair was picture perfect.

And NO I will not share a picture. The girls love to laugh at the photos from high school. I can say that I never did the asymmetrical hairdo..LOL

I used to have naturally wavy hair. That disappeared. It had gone really thin for awhile (you all probably heard me complain). I thought I was going to have to invest in a wiglet. But it has thickened up some. That is why I decided to grow my hair out again. It is past my shoulders already. I am thinking it was either stress or some past medication that I was taking that made it thin out so much.

• 2 weeks later...

I couldn't wait any longer. I really wanted a more intense color change, so i stopped today after work and got my hair done again. i went to a different place this time. i *really* like it. it looks like i have multiple shades of red. She took sections of top of my head and bleached them then did my whole head the same color of red and the bleached areas came out an attention grabbing shade of red. i am a brunette naturally...my original color is almost black. so picture a shade of red and then streaks of lighter red. the under layers of my hair are dark with a red cast to them. so it looks like i have about 3 different shades of red. I love it and it's definately the "whoa" look i was going for. this time it's a noticeable shade of red as compared to the last time.

I LOVE IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!