• I Will Walk/Ride Bike
    • Take Public Transportaion
    • I Will Car Pool

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

no public transportation here either.

only good thing about being a homebody I dont feel the need to get out much.

I would love to ride a bike but Im not sure if that would be a good idea!

I mean if ya cant get yerself outa the floor probly not a good idea to put yourself on something thats gonna Fall over! rofl.

I am hoping to get down enough to get myself a 3 wheeler(bicycle) by the end of summer. that would be fun!

so I will drive but no long trips for us either! ;)

nutti :blink:

Ours is now $2.87. I have to drive, and no one works near me that I know, so I can't car pool.

However, my "recreational" travel is out. I will only drive to and from work, and the other house.

We also live 'way out in the woods >4 miles from the closest town, we can run limited errands on the bike but for grocery trips, the doctor, the eye doctor and the dentist we have no public transportation to speak of(there's a private bus service that picks you up if you make a reservation ahead of time, at US$5/ trip each way). The nice thing about being retired is that we don't go anywhere much except to ride bike, kayak or hike (or to buy mini supplies). If gas prices get high enough I'll have to consider selling my "baby" (5-speed PT Cruiser) simply to save on gas & car insurance (rates going up even though I'm a safe & excellent driver).

In Australia we are currently paying $1.39 a litre or about $5.56 a gallon, :blink: I am very glad I sold my car recently, fortunately I live somewhere I can walk most places, or there is excellent public transport if needed ;)

I voted that I would car pool cause there is a couple of more people I work with that live close by, but it will probably be limited because we have different meeting schedules. We have some public transportation, funded partially by the state, but with state budget cut backs, the transportation providers are having to cut back on their routes, eliminating some vans/drivers in order to run within budgets thrown completely out of whack with the soaring fuel costs.

I drive approximately 27 miles one way to work, so most driving for pleasure (not that we do that much anyway) will be curtailed.

We are paying $2.79 here.

We do have a trolly service but it is so slow.

I am not working right now so that helps.

I also still take my daughter to school. She probably should ride the bus but, back in my younger years I learned way more than I needed to know when I rode the bus.

Riding a bike? Ha Ha Ha. They say you never forget how, bologna!!! I used to ride all the time then came a 18 year break. Tried to get back on scared me to death. RayAnne was making fun of me. Maybe when I lose some more weight I will try it again.

SuzyQ

Gas here jumped 25cents this week we are over $3.00 a gallon now. I don't know exactly how far over $3.00 because it changed while I was in the store paying for the gas I just put in the car. Extra driving is out forus too. I was going to buy an SUV but I think I'll keep the little 4 cylinder for a while longer.

terri

$5.56 a gallon, ;) I am very glad I sold my car recently, fortunately I live somewhere I can walk most places, or there is excellent public transport if needed :)

Well I will shut my mouth right now Dragonfly :) ! Sheesh $5.56 a gallon is a nightmare! :blink:

If gas prices get high enough I'll have to consider selling my "baby" (5-speed PT Cruiser) simply to save on gas & car insurance (rates going up even though I'm a safe & excellent driver).

I wouldn't bother, the PT's got to be one of the cheaper cars out there, 4 doors, 4 cylinder engine. I know the one I rented was pretty good on gas. And what would you replace it with? A used car? With an unkonwn history. Unless I absolutely had to I'd never buy a used car again. How often was the oil changed? A sludge filled engine will cost you 3 or 4 years insurance in 1 go, when the head cracks or it drops a valve. An engine with only 30,000 miles on it and no oil change (I've seen it) is ready for the bone yard.

Well I will shut my mouth right now Dragonfly ;) ! Sheesh $5.56 a gallon is a nightmare! :blink:

Yeah, it is pretty shocking that is for sure, given that before the war in Iraq prices were around .70cents a litre or $2.80 a gallon. I guess the hardest thing to reconcile is that Australia produces a significant proportion of it's own crude oil, so it is World Oil pricing affecting our local price, not because we import most of it. Countries like New Zealand that have no Oil and rely on imports exclusively must be really feeling it.. I will try to find out what they are paying at the bowsers currently.

edit* just found out that New Zealanders are paying around $1.68 a litre for normal unleaded, or $6.72NZ for a gallon :)

what would you replace it with?

Nothing, we'd keep DH's truck because my "baby" won't pull our Little House on the Highway when we go camping (MUCH cheaper than motels & restaurants) or carry all the bikes & boats (or let me build a dh on the road :blink: ). Actually we'll probably grit teeth & keep my car until it disintegrates into a pile of rust because, being a 5-speed manual trans, I get EXCELLENT gas mileage and we could carry the tent (neither of us likes tent-camping for more than overnight) & gear plus at least the tandem boat OR the tandem bike.

Last time I peeked it was $2.89 a gal reg.

I live in the city, so I can walk down to the convience store for things. The grocery store is too far away to walk though.

Egads! I just thought of something! Chelsea + art school + 45 min drive = $$$$$

Maybe I should teach her the ole art of hitchhiking... (LOL no I wont too dangerous)

I remember my parents getting p.oed at my brother and sister when they used to hitchhike in the 70s. Big screaming!

I take both girls to school but they get home on their own. We wont be traveling much except for the art school this summer.

I have already informed the family that the only A.C to be running will be the one downstairs (cools whole 1st floor). We cant afford to cool the bedrooms and gas and food and save for oil and and and and.

No such thing as discretionary income anymore!

Gas prices are $2.92 here in Va. And rising daily. The worst part of all this in Va. is our governor wants to promote 'clean' air and make a law passing it mandatory ethanol use. It is starting in the Va. beach and hampton roads areas, so some people are having to burn all the gas in their cars to clean out the tanks to take this cheap junk. Ethanol is a mixture of gasoline and corn.. :D cheap, burns quicker, and the prices won't be gong down. :unsure: Not looking forward to when this becomes mandatory in the state. Right now we're able to run the 'good' gas. I can fill up my little grand prix and go --it has the best gas mileage. On the other hand, our pickup and dodge we can't really get rid of, you need an suv and a pickup out in the country--can't haul wood in a car! :lol:

Tracey, our camping trips have been cut short too...gas is just too high to go anywhere in the RV, which we enjoy too! I take stuff along and build on the road--it's how I relax! That is so cool! Does your hubby like to fish too? :blink:

Sorry folks, will get off my soapbox now. :D Like dragonfly stated, the gas prices are higher in Europe because of imports. Crude oil is $70+ a barrel right now.

Yesterday, hubby tells me that gas prices were $3.03/gallon (in Orange County). This is self serve, but full serve (which no one I know gets) is over $4.00/gal. Fortunately, I work about five miles away so filling up one car only once in two weeks. But my husband commutes to LA, and fills up every five days.

OK I just paid $3.05 for gas here in Gatlinburg Tennessee!!! (was $2.84 on Thursday)

I put in $30.00 it only gave me just over a half tank. UGH!!!!

I told my daughter that starting Monday she is riding the bus to and from school. She started to complain until I told her it is that or no spring clothes can't do both. She closed her mouth fast. :D

SuzyQ

Here in NY gas is almost 3.00 a gallon my van wont be going too far anytime soon just being parked in my driveway UNLESS I have to go to town or something my van is a 6 cyclinder and costs over 40.00 to fill up.

I have to drive. I am not healthy enough to take public transportaion, I am making my son walk the 2 miles home from school. Darrell drops him off an hour ealry on his way to work. When it warms up, I will have to start picking up my son. I will not let him walk that far in 100 degree+ weather. As far as any extra driving. I am not doing any. If i need to go to the store I wait untill I really need to go. No more running to the market to pick up a few items.

I am also going to try and find a job.

Melissa

I commute 20 miles or so each way to work...probably a longer distance but i'm not sure. I have to commute so i have to pay for gas, the hours that i work and the fact that the commuter train isn't finished yet dictates that i drive. I could share rides with my coworkers (they come from a farther distance) but then i'd have to get up even earlier (4:15 - 4:30 am is to early as it is) and after spending 10-12 hours a day with them, i enjoy my "peace and quiet" driving to and from work. So ride sharing isn't something i would consider. So in the end i'll buck up the cash and do what i have to do. :D

I am in mostly the same boat. We live in the country and it's almost about ten miles to the main road. No running down the road five miles to the store for anything special, it will have to wait.

Gas topped out here at 2.99 and some places 3.00, 3.05, and 3.09! :unsure: This is not good, especially since a local gas station and little resturant we go to alot had big stickers saying 10% enthanol! :D

So it looks like one or two days a week will be for running errands, shopping, etc, and cutting back on those extras. Thank goodness I don't have my former job, where I used to commute.

OK I just paid $3.05 for gas here in Gatlinburg Tennessee!!! (was $2.84 on Thursday)

I put in $30.00 it only gave me just over a half tank. UGH!!!!

I told my daughter that starting Monday she is riding the bus to and from school. She started to complain until I told her it is that or no spring clothes can't do both. She closed her mouth fast. :D

SuzyQ

SuzyQ do you live in Gatlinburg or on vacation??? I go to Pigeon Forge for a week every year in the fall.

mini hugs

Jennifer