• I Will Travel No Matter What the Price Is
    • I Will Walk/Ride Bike
    • Take Public Transportaion
    • I Will Car Pool

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They just did a special on nightline about that too April but your comments were MORE indepth. Thanks for that because I was also trying to figure out just why they have not done this yet. They say in Brazil that is what they use.

Well now. Since high school graduation is rapidly approaching, and June and July are vacation months, wouldn't you know that the gas stations that I passed on Friday that were $2.65 a gallon are now $2.74 a gallon?

We're at close to 3 bones a gallon for mid grade here. So for me it's about 10 dollars per quarter tank, and the roach gets lousy mileage around town. That being said it is unbelievably reliable. The 3.8 V6 runs like new, couple of minor niggles were worked out under warranty, except for regular maintenance I have not put a penny into repairs. It's a 99. So despite the fuel usage overall running costs have been the cheapest of any car I've ever owned, by miles.

we are paying 3.59 a gallon. my husband works about 50 miles away and commutes 4-5 days a week. we don't go Anywhere eles but to the grocery store in town! when we can afford to eat after paying for gas lol :D oh, i mean besides scouts for 2 boys, the girls weekly church activities, sports, swimming and they want to go to the beach alot this summer. uuugggghh. gas is killing us!

April, is the about-to-be-outlawed additive MBTE or something like that?

I worked for a company that was producing an ethanol-enhanced gasoline for states that didn't allow MBTE during the summer due to air quality regulations -- at least, that's what I remember happening, so there's gas and summer and regulations involved, and there was definitely corn.

I know what you mean Holly about Kids' activities and gas prices--Amanda just got inducted into the Jobies and session (alot like camp) is coming up--between the clothes she needs, the admission, AND gas to go about shopping for this stuff and taking her to meetings--it is a pain in the wallet. Going on vacation with the cost of gas isn't an option, at least not an extended vacation with long road miles involved.

Hm. It's beginning to look like we'll have a long-ish road trip coming up this summer, after all (not three months' worth), the environmental protection folks in another state are trying to coax DH out of retirement just long enough for a consultation ("for about a month").

• 1 month later...

I found out from our mechanic that maybe part of the problem with our Mass air flow going was the fact that we were changing gas stations so much.

I dont know if that can be true but I have to wonder what all these different mixes of gas mixing around in the tank can do to the engine...

Today in CT...$3.28 reg!!

$20 gives up a lil over 6 gallons

Constantly chaniging gas brands can cause lower mileage, or so I've heard, because the different additives mean your engine has to adjust to the particular brand. Where you're switching all the time the engine never get's properly adjusted. I know when I change brands it takes a few tanks for the engine to pull as strongly as usual. Here in the US I use Chevron exclusively (no endorsement-they aint paying me), Techron is essentially fuel injector cleaner, and with tuned port injection replacing two rails and six high pressure injectors will make any difference in gas price completely meaningless. In Canada I only put Sunoco in the car, no Chevron there. 10% ETOH makes for nice clean running too, and you don't need gasline antifreeze. (BTW cheap gasline antifreeze is methanol, you should let that stuff near your car unless you're trying to destroy the engine). Ethanol, the more expesnive stuff, is the only way to go.

No choice - no public transp out here in the country - but we combine all our errands to one trip to the big city - and stay home otherwise - that's why we have so many hobbies - flowers, knitting, crocheting, minis, digital photography, and on and on. Saving our gas money for major trips - still much to see and very few years left to see it all. I sat in gas lines in the 1970's and was just sure we would have a dependable alternative fuel very soon. Ah well -

I sat in gas lines in the 1970's and was just sure we would have a dependable alternative fuel very soon.

You, too? At least we're not on every-other-day rationing; THAT was going on the last vacation we took when the boys were little.