• I Will Walk/Ride Bike
    • Take Public Transportaion
    • I Will Car Pool

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, I'll tell ya --- if worse comes to worse, I'll be the one on the horse!

:p

I'm hoping that after my back surgery I'll be able to ride a horse again.

(The main thing I'm hoping for after the surgery is that the pain will at least decrease.)

Horses can eat the corn just as it comes out of the ground .... corn won't have to go nowhere to get prepared for fuel. :lol:

Doe

P.S. How come I seem to be the only one who plays

around with the font colors and stuff?

You guys get to work! hehe ;) j/k

After going to Bible school in Canada for a year I don't do much complaining about gas prices. We're still about 20% less than and 30% or more below gas prices in Europe. But I'm glad to hear that everyone is cutting back. It's amazing how many people "go green" when it costs them big green to waste!

I agree with you. It used to cost very little to fill up my little pontiac, and now I schedule things when I go shopping/post office/ etc. in one trip.

Doe, I am sorry to hear about your back, I suffer back pain alot and really feel for you. I think alot of mine is the beginning of arthritis in the neck, (could minis cause us to hurt? :p ) from sitting still so long when I work on a project or my mini books.

( :lol: Corn can be fermented, I know folks who used it for their gas tanks! Old geezers in the family used to keep the 'recipe' on hand to put in their pickups! :) That was a big joke at the family reunions about ten or fifteen years ago. ;) )

Jennifer, I love Pigeon Forge! It has been so long since I have been there! I went to Dollywood and simply loved it--I remember finding great minis there too! Is it her sister Stella who has a doll shop or a hat shop? Can't remember! ;)

I read an article that the gov. is issueing distillery licenses to ppl to make their own hooch...oops I mean grain alc. for their vehicles.

They are going by an honor system that you will put poison in your mix so it isnt drinkable....Hmmm I see there might be a way to pay for the $3.09 at the gas pump after all..

How bizarre!

Now where did I hear that in France, there's such an over-abundance of wine this year that vineyards are selling their excess to be made into auto fuel? I just have this vision of little Renaults and Citroens running on cheap Bordeaux.

[Having just seen the poll, I'll add -- I usually walk or take mass transit because I can, but my work is unreachable without a car, so drive I must.]

We've now dropped to $2.66 at the I-85 interchange (that's the cheapest place I know to get gas in Charlotte). We got up to $2.89, but it didn't go above that. I guess when people quit driving to places for vacation they dropped it because they were losing money.

little Renaults

Right after AMC dropped the Renault (when they picked up Jeep & started making the Eagle) Renault-Dauphin in France began making their cars to get 120 mpg, back in the late'80s/ early 90s.

120 mpg?!?

I want one of those! It's not just the cost -- the classes I teach are a 60-mile roundtrip for one site, a 90-mile roundtrip for another, and a 180-mile roundtrip for the third. Even at 30 mpg, I get so sick of gas stations!

How bizarre!

Now where did I hear that in France, there's such an over-abundance of wine this year that vineyards are selling their excess to be made into auto fuel? I just have this vision of little Renaults and Citroens running on cheap Bordeaux.

I've run quite well on inexpensive wines myself for quite a number of years.

-Susanne

I've just looked at the poll results. It seems that the people on this site are not only addicted to miniatures, but to our cars :lol:

OK I just paid $3.05 for gas here in Gatlinburg Tennessee!!! (was $2.84 on Thursday)

Wow, glad I didn't go up to Gatlinburg last weekend! Geesh! We are paying $2.51 right now in good ole NW GA. But if you cross the border in TN its up to $2.68 this morning. They always raise it on holiday weekends. I live in the sticks so no public transportation here either and I never work the same hours so carpooling is out, what can ya do?

Amy: Your N Ga prices are better than here in middle GA, the lowest I've seen in the last two weeks has been $2.76, but some places are 2.89.

Gas topped out here at 2.99 and some places 3.00, 3.05, and 3.09! :( This is not good, especially since a local gas station and little resturant we go to alot had big stickers saying 10% enthanol! :angry:

What's the problem? Gas with ethanol is the absolute best for your car, wish I could get it here, it's all I used in Canada. Check out your owners manual, most makers recommend ethanol gas for their cars, and if it gets cold it acts as gas line antifreeze.

I live in Pa about 20 minutes from Pittsburgh and the gas prices just dropped to $2.77 at the station just down the street. I'm sure not going to many places, unless it drops more. Thankfully my hubby just got his car fixed and that's the gas saver (4 cyl. 5 speed) :angry: with his job 45 minutes away we were wasting SOOO much money with him using my truck, I'll be glad to park it and give it (and my wallet) a well deserved rest. :(

Annette

We went on vacation to Central California coast, and paid $3.49 / gallon in Buellton. When we got home to Orange County, we paid 3.29.

Had a great vacation regardless of the prices.

There is no public transportation in this area of PA. I drive about 45 minutes to work and was actually happy last night when I got gas that it dropped to $2.87 a gallon. Never did I ever think $2.87 a gollon for gas would look like a bargain.

We were out and about in the car yesterday, so I saw gas prices for the first time in a while. $3.29 a gallon is looking like the low end.

Our favorite corner is the one where the gas station on the outbound-toward-Bay-Bridge side is charging $3.29 and the inbound-toward-downtown station is charging $3.67. The only thing we can guess is that drivers figure they have just enough gas to get them to the city, then they can't make the needed left across a busy street at rush hour to go to the cheaper station.

*steps up onto soapbox*

since someone mentioned ethanol, I feel I should chime in. I'm in grad school working on my masters in business administration and last semester I took economics and guess what my topic was: How ethanol will affect the agriculture industry.

Before starting this project, it sounded all fine and dandy but what I've learned is that it takes more 'natural resources' to turn the corn into ethanol than it saves us by running cars on it. Additionally, ethanol has to be trucked because it's too corrosive for pipelines (like we have for gasoline) so you burn more fuel there. AND to meet the government mandated minimum of 7 billion gallons of production by 2012 as required by the 2005 energy act, we have to grow more corn which means more nitrogen fertilizer which means more run off which is already why we have the 100 acre dead zone every summer in the gulf. Fertilizer is killing waterborne ecosystems and since ethanol doesn't burn any cleaner than gasoline, is more expensive to transport, is being propped up by government subsidies, takes more energy to create than it gives you well, it's pretty much fools gold.

Given this plethora of info, you may be wondering why the government is all gung ho about it. That's because the US leading producer of ethanol AND corn is Archer Daniels Midland and (you better sit down for this) they are the BIGGEST political contributors to BOTH political parties. So, no matter who's in office, ADM helped get them there.

Every time I see that 'go yellow' commercial, I want to throw a shoe through the TV screen. Also, the reason gas prices are so high right now has little to do with the gas supply and more to do with the ethanol supply. Most states are in the process of outlawing a gasoline additive that I can't remember the name of off the top of my head. Anyway, gas companies are replacing it with ethanol. The increased demand is outstripping our current supply and our current production capapcity so when you go to the gas station to fill up, remember that your gas prices are rising because we don't have enough ethanol. And while production will increase in the coming years (some 90-something production facilities are planned or under construction), these companies are getting property tax breaks, subsidies, and even money to build rail systems to transport the ethanol and you're paying for it with your taxes. I read one article that estimated that americans are paying as much as 38 dollars per gallon of ethanol when you add it all up (keep in mind that ethanol currently makes up a small percentage of gasoline but for every gallon of ethanol, you're paying taxes out the ying yang).

And, if that didn't get your blood pressure up, go check archer daniels midland's stock prices over the past year (symbol: ADM). Anyway, just goes to show you how powerful public perception is.