Off the Wall (but effective) ways we de-stress!

miniwendy

I go through the Miscellaneous/Collectible section on the goodwill website and try to find the weirdest thing newly listed for the day. And believe me, there have been some truly bizarre finds.

Yesterdays winner was a bronzed baby bootie....made into an ashtray...

Todays is probably either the 18" wild'n'hairy looking Elvis doll with his shirt unbuttoned to the waist, or the mini ceramic sculpture of a baby going bowling with a giant black ball. I'm not done looking though.

Unusual way to de-stress, I know. But the bizarre donations they put up for sale on that site completely distract me from whatever is bothering me for a little while. :groucho:

Anyone else do something off the wall like that? :rofl:

Sometimes when I'm really frustrated I go into the yard and weed, but most satisfying is attacking all the suckers on my 20+ trees and lopping off ill placed branches! It gives me some harmless primal activity, makes the yard nicer, and the physical exertion gets the endorphins (?) flowing!

I do not know if this is off the wall but it really helps.

I clean but not just any kind of cleaning. I do a really detailed clean. Like I could take apart the food processer. I would clean it so clean that it would look brand new. Every crease, every cranny. I would use toothpicks and q-tips to get into hard to reach areas.

So it is kind of like the yard work idea..I have done that too. I hate those lil helicopter things that fall off the trees. If you do not get them all, they root in the ground to make new trees. Then you have to walk around and pull every single one! That can make an hour go by really quickly..and you will forget any troubles during that time.

there have been some truly bizarre finds.

Yesterdays winner was a bronzed baby bootie....made into an ashtray...

So, you think the set of bookends with my bronzed baby shoes is weird? I think it's rather dear that my mother had my first shoes captured for history! :groucho:

PS: I relax with minis, gardening, a good book, meditation, and visiting the Greenleaf Forum. :rofl:

I polish....wood, glass, odd bits of silver or brass, even the chrome rings around the stove burners. If the weather's nice, I pull grass from the patches of moss in the yard. This time of year I can lose a few hours digging birdseed out from between the deck boards. :groucho:

Hmm, de-stress??? I usually just curl up with a good book, normally one I've read about 10 or 12 times! My favorite go-to is 'Girl in Hyacinth Blue' by Susan Vreeland.

Unusual way to de-stress? I give the truck a tune-up! Clean the spark-plugs (Platinum +4's, you're supposed to just clean, not replace them), clean the air filter (K&N, another clean, don't replace item), check all the fluids, change the oil, etc.

My most effective way to de-stress is to rearrange or tidy up my canned food cupboards. Weird I know, but when I'm really stressed out I will pull everything out and put all the cans back in nice & orderly. Seeing as how my husband & son don't seem to know how to grab a can out of the cupboard without messing everything up, the cupboards frequently need tidying up.

If the cupboards are already tidy, I'll throw on a movie, usually a scary one, and that takes my mind off of what ever is stressful for a little while.

How do I de-stress? In order: walk/ hike or other physical activity, minis or other craft activity, watch a movie or TV with mindless violence (like "Lethal Weapon") or total escapist fantasy ("LOR") or just plain featuring eye candy, read a book (similar content as movie).

and today's winner...

http://www.shopgoodwill.com/auctions/Jet-B...659241.html#des

eeeeek!! its a crow/weasel/? cross...

My mom used to have one of those. It is a fur stole. Okay, this is gross.. the mouths were made into clips. You could clip the mouths together over your shoulders so that it would not fall off.

Hers came from the 1940s, do not have it anymore..sis probably has it. I used to play with it when I was a kid.

I do not know if this is off the wall but it really helps.

I clean but not just any kind of cleaning. I do a really detailed clean. Like I could take apart the food processer. I would clean it so clean that it would look brand new. Every crease, every cranny. I would use toothpicks and q-tips to get into hard to reach areas.

I do that too! That is my destresser! Weeding is good too though....waiting for it to get warm, grr.....how come the weeds are up but my flowers aren't? arg.

S