Grey Gardens starring D. Barrymore/J. Lange

heidiiiii

If you are fortunate to have HBO (i do not), you should watch this movie. I have watched the original 1975 documentary about the Beales. This movies reinacts that documentary but also goes back into their lives before they ended up in the squalor mansion in East Hampton. There was also a hit play on Broadway of the same name.

It is getting four stars across the board from many different outlets, so it is going to be something to see.

You really cannot watch just a clip of the original. When you watch the whole documentary, you get to hear some of the great stories and beautiful pictures of their past. I personally liked Lil Edie. Idiosyncrasies and all. You can catch it on Youtube by putting in Grey Gardens. I could not find number 1 but you will see 2/11, 3/11, 4/11, etc.

I started to watch it last night but was so tired from yardwork that I fell asleep on it. I'll catch it again soon. :)

Jealous!! I want to see it! I hope they put it on On Demand.

I watched it last night because I found the subject matter fascinating. I never knew there was a play or anything else about the Beales.

I found this particular movie to be somewhat lacking. I don't know how to describe it better. I would give it 2 stars.

I am definiately going to read more about the Beales. You just can't make up stuff like this!

I hope I didn't disappoint you, but you may absolutely love it, too!

Well, there's my two cents.....

I am with Mary on this. I watched it 1 1/2 times. There is nothing significant in it about Jackie O. It's just a sad story about a mother and daughter with more than a hint of madness in them. Sure made me feel better about my house (giggle). I am not sure what the fascination was about them. It seems to me they were not even major socialites.

I watched it and wasn't much impressed, either. I thought the ending (running behind the credits) in particular was a pathetically bad joke played at the expense of a delusional woman. Wait until it comes out on DVD, Heidi, and check it out for free at the library.

I hate that.

You read from different outlets that it is going to be a good one and it is not. One reviewer has the same kind of taste that I do, so when she does not or does like something, I usually feel the same way.

You can see the original on YouTube.

Okay. I watched it again last night (while I wasn't using the computer at the same time).

I liked it better this time, but even though Jessica Lange was marvelous, I believe the movie as a whole could have been made better.

I guess it's difficult to show many years of life into a small 2-hour time.

It did leave me crying knowing that there are so many people hurting in this world.