What have you used?

AngieC

Hi All and thanks in advance for your help. On your built dhs have you used acrylic or regular house paint?

And for lighting is it tape wire or hard wire? I am currently building the Garfield and don't know which is better to use. I look forward to reading all your responses. Thanks

Angie

I usually use regular latex paint on the dh unless I want a specific color and then I'll use acrylic paint from the tube to mix.

I haven't wired yet, but DH wants to help me wire the McKinley and he got round wire.

DEpending on how you want the house or room to look on the paint,I find the acrylic paint is a flat paint and tends to look as if you glob it on. I like a semi-gloss that has a small shine I use a good latex that cover in one coat and use a sponge brush, that way there is less brush strokes. I also use a airbrush for finer detail I thin the paint out so it will go through the airbrush. I find with this method I need extra coats because even thou I use a primer it dose soak in and the coats are very thin.

I used the round wire, I like this method better because if I have a short I can find it faster.

Donna

Hi Angie,

I used craft acrylic paint for my houses and it seemed to work fine for me but I do like to prime the walls first with white acrylic craft paint. I also tend to like the look of flat paint better than semi-gloss - to me it looks more to scale on the walls and less like the walls are polished. Plus I've bought scale buildings with semigloss paint on them and had a dickens of a time trying to cover it up! And bright pink is just not my color :D Everyone has their own preferences. Pick the color and paint you like and go with it.

I've only wired one house and I guess it would be a combination of tape and hard wire.. not exactly but sort of - here's how it went - I used the tape wire under the house and a junction splice to hook up my power supply to it then the lights inside the house (only 2 of them) already had long wires on them (they came that way) and I just ran them down through the floor and soldered to the tapewire. I hid the wire on the wall sconce by running it down the inside of the door frame.

-David

I've only used tapewire and haven't had any problems. But I did put my carpet and flooring down with double sided tape, so if problems hit in the future, I wouldn't have to tear up my floor to check the problem. I did glue down my wallpaper though I think I've heard of some that will put it up with double sided tape also not only for the checking wiring problems, but so they can change out the wallpaper at a later date.

I used Darrell's hint to solder my wiring connections so good connections were made.

Paint, I usually use which ever kind I find that I like the color.

I like to use regular semi-gloss paints. I'm not fond of flat paints at all, which is probably why I'm don't like acrylic paints.

I like hard wiring best, since it's the one that Jimmy does--meaning he does it and I don't have to, LOL!