Ever Wonder Where the Socks Really Go?

Lynette Smith

It never fails to happen. I need something, search high and low -nothing! Come back an hour, day, or week later and its right where you already checked a dozen times!

It's called the Wormhole Effect.

I began to understand this scientific phenomenon after years of watching Star Trek: the New Generation.

:lol: .

There are stable wormholes and unstable wormholes.

A stable wormhole opens up in one spot and deposits the item at another spot; after some time goes by, the stable wormhole will spit out the item in the exact spot from which it was at originally. Which is why the item sought is exactly where you left it, despite an interval of being not there.

An unstable wormhole, however, will take an item from one spot and deposit it at another spot. Due to it's instability, the wormhole cannot return the item to its original location. An unstable wormhole only moves from one location to another and another after you have already searched the spot. This is why object is eventually found in the most unlikely of locations.

Also, wormholes are a strange distortion of time and space. So while you've been searching for days, weeks, or months, the item has only been in the other location for a split second!

The wormhole effect is especially prevalent around dryers. It has to do with the rotation of the drum creating artificial gravity, centrifugal force, and other little understood scientific principles which require further study.

:) :lol: yet how true!

Did you ever notice that it seems to happen to those of the male gender more often. They can't find something, hollar for mom or wife, she comes in and finds it right away where she said it would be. Happens at our house a lot sometimes. :)

Wasn't there a Carol Burnett episode where she was reaching into the dryer to try and find that mysteriously disappearing sock and got sucked in herself? I may be remembering the wrong show, but I used to watch a lot of Nick at Night. Maybe that was a wormhole too?

Apparently wormholes are influenced by magnetic forces. Some people have more magnetic strength than others. And some magnets repel other magnets - which is probably why some people are more prone to losing items while others are better at finding them.

Furbabies are another clever disguise a wormhole might assume. When my cat was a kitten the strangest things kept showing up under my bed - chewed up cobs of corn and potatoes were the most unusual. The corncob also materialized in the living room, on the stairway, and in the kitchen - definitely an unstable wormhole. Once I actually caught the wormhole in it's kitten guise with a potato in its mouth.

We have several of those wormholes in our house! The last thing to be sucked in were two dishtowels.....can't find them anywhere.....but the reverse wormhole did spit out three of my dishrags I had been looking for. I'll just stand around iuntil it spits out the dishtowels I guess......

Wormhole, yeah, I believe it.

There's the usual missing socks or keys thing. Then there's the case of the vanished accounting book.

I'm pulling this particular case from the several eerie instances I've had of vanishing items over the last 30 years, because it's the most vivid in my memory, and the most important.

Years ago I started a small arts and crafts business. I made house boxes, tiny log cabins out of scraps of 2x4's, Christmas ornaments, house portraits, etc.

I used to keep my accounts in a little blue book, that was about the size of a thinnish paperback. It was small enough to tuck into a drawer, but not small enough to easily misplace.

One day I went to get it out of the drawer, but it was gone. I retraced all the places I could have put it, nothing. I started searching for it methodically throughout the whole house, nothing. I kept my eye out for it for the next two weeks, but it didn't turn up. For months I looked for it, behind furniture, under storage boxes, in all kinds of places, even in places it couldn't possibly be. I mean I really turned the house upside down.

Eventually I gave up and bought a new accounting book, and started going through all the receipts and records I could find.

A few months later, while cleaning my bedroom, I found it, behind a wicker trunk. I know absolutely positively that I looked behind that trunk for it over and over again, because things often tended to slide down back there.

So, where was my little blue book all that time? Was it back there and I just didn't see it although I looked straight at it? Or did it make a mysterious trip into another dimension, then got sent back again?

It could have gone around the world or been inside the wormhole the entire time.

There is something about buying a replacement for the displaced item and losing the receipt that always seems to cause the wormhole to cough up the original item. Somehow it operates as an interspatial emetic!

The closet steals stuff on DH all the time. He can go through it 4 times, and swear his favorite shirt/whatever isn't there. It just seems to appear, when I go look. Socks always end up in the couch-not sure how, and like holly's my wash machine will covet the odd sock, and spit it back out at a later date. Anyone have trouble with clothes hangers multiplying? LOL

Gee, Suzanne, I wish your washing machine could teach MY washing machine how to spit the odd sock back out! However, I have that problem licked; the last time our washer & dryer died we repoaced them with front-loading stacking units. No wormholes!

I am really glad to know about worm holes, stable or unstable. It explains so much. For instance last Sunday John was looking for a band aide. I was busy, couldn't get in the bathroom to search. He was fussing about something so simple as a band aide should be in plain sight. I shouted, "they are on the shelf with all the first aide items." He shouted back "There is everything else but band aides." We do lots out outside work and work with tools so I have a supply on hand at all times, in case of slivers, scratches and cuts. I quickly went to the bathroom to show him the shelf. No band aides there. Told him he would have to search for himself as I was busy gluing the stairs in the Willow and had glue on parts and couldn't quit. He never did find a band aide. When I got to a part where I could take a break I went to the bathroom and looked. On the shelf with cold remedies 2 boxes of band aides where hiding behind the bottle of cough syrup and a box of throat lozenges. I swear the cough syrup actually grinned when I pulled it aside. Now neither of us would put the band aides in that spot. John, because it is too orderly ( he has a habit of just tossing) and me because it wouldn't go with the other items. Now I know why it happened. Thanks for the explanation. Rita

thats why someone needs to create GoogleHouse so you can just hop on your computer punch in car keys and it will tell you that they are in the couch cushions.

Um, guys, the wormhole spits them out into those spaces between the wall and the washer or dryer and into the space behind the washer and dryer.

I'm one of those people who is good at finding things for hubby/kids, unless it was a sippy cup, but bad at finding things for myself. Go figure!

Terri

Sometimes when a wormhole spits out the object the molecules are assembled slightly differently, it takes time, dependent on the half-life of the object, for it to decay back to its original form.

This happened to me last night - I was looking for a large knife and it had been ejected by a wormhole as a spatula, by this morning however it had decayed back into the large knife.

Lisa R.

:idiot:

:lol: Ditto.

I just say the ghost took it. I ask for it back and eventually it turns up..that is the New Englander in me I guess..Really old house..Whaling City..they must get cold feet too.