fairfield

Hi, has anyone put the upgrade window set in your fairfield?? Did they fit smoothly or did it take some work...did you have to add anything?? I ws thinking the wood for the house may be too thin for the windows. I think I have decided to paint it instead of siding although I can always go back and add siding later..I think

I used the window upgrade and the frame does protrude a little beyond the interior trim. It doesn't look bad and if you are planning on having curtains, you won't see it at all. Most of the windows fit well, although I did need to sand a couple of the openings.

With siding, the windows fit perfectly. However, the interior doors protrude a little. I am just making the trim thicker by gluing a second piece of trim to the back of each trim piece. So the whole door (and trim) will protrude a bit more on one side of the wall than on the other, but it shouldn't be too obvious.

You could do the same thing for the windows.

Other than that, the windows and doors should fit perfectly, as long as you have one of the newer kits (released in the past year or two). If you have an older kit you may need to enlarge the holes yourself.

-emily

• 3 weeks later...

Emily, I just looked at your website and I LOVE your fairfield!! The Colors you picked look PERFECT together! You did a WONDERFUL Job! Your upgraded windows really set yours apart too.

To see them everyone click here:

http://home.comcast.net/~fovlet/fairfield/roof.html

Thanks! I just started adding shingles over the weekend (you can see them in that link) and I am really happy with how everything's coming together. :D

The Fairfield is such a cute house. I love its shape and how you can see in on two sides. I wonder if Greenleaf ever considered issuing this house in 1" scale (or if not, why not?) It would be big, obviously, but I like the shape of it a lot more than the Pierce and the Garfield (which have always looked kind of bulky to me).

• 2 months later...

Hi everyone my name is Louise I had posted a few times on the old forum. I started my fairfield about 5 months ago. I have some pictures I am going to post of my progress, But I would really love to see what everyone else has done with their fairfields. I dont have much time to work on mine as I have a new 3 month old baby, but I manage to sneak a few moments here and there <_<. I also wanted to know if I can get replacement windows or a way I can make some because I didnt get any in my kit and I really cant afford an upgrade kit. If anyone has any suggestions feel free to make them.

replacement windows or a way I can make some because I didnt get any in my kit

I'm assuming you mean the clear acetate you glue ino the window frames. My Arthur kit was missing one so I made one (I blogged on it, but here it is again <_< ).

I found some old packaging that had a piece of acetate slightly larger than my window opening. It was a bit scratched/ buffed looking, so I painted a design on it to make it look like "stained glass" and installed it in the bathroom window.

I also wanted to know if I can get replacement windows or a way I can make some because I didnt get any in my kit and I really cant afford an upgrade kit. If anyone has any suggestions feel free to make them.

Are you missing just the plastic sheet, or also the window frames?

If it's the window frames, I can send you mine. I have the upgrade kit so I'm not using them. I'm pretty sure I already gave the plastic sheet away to someone else who needed it, but you can buy clear plastic sheets at a mini shop, or use a transparency sheet that you can buy at a store like Staples or Kinkos. You could also contact Greenleaf and ask for a replacement... I'm not sure if they would charge for that or not (probably not, if the kit didn't come with the pieces to begin with, but you may need to pay for shipping).

Another thing you could do is wait until next April, and if Miniatures.com has another 50% off sale on April 1, buy the upgrade kit then. That's what I did and it made the price a lot more reasonable.

You can see pictures of my Fairfield in progress here. I am almost done shingling the roof (finally!) and then will move on to the porch. Almost done! (And it's only taken me two years! <_< )

• 3 weeks later...

I finally got on to web shots and have a few pictures of my fairfield under construction up. If you want you can take a look here

pictures of my fairfield

thanks everyone for ideas for my windows. I looked around the house for something with clear acetate on it but I couldnt find any so I guess I will have to buy some transparency sheets. :rolleyes:

hey! Welcome back Islandmomma

a new baby?! congratulations!!

best mini of all!!

your fairfield is comming along nicely!!

that is the sweetest little house. I would like to do one but I already have 2 half scale houses unfinished :rolleyes:

not to worry about posting often or getting to play with your house...it will be there waiting but the little one wont be so ENJOY!!

nutti :(

• 3 months later...

I'm presently building the Fairfirld. It's my favorite right now next to the Lily, my all time love.

I'm putting in the premade windows and doors. I padded the walls with matt board and thin foamcore where needed, and with those and the siding it's working well. I'm also putting stairs up to the third froot and making that a master suite. I'm also connecting the top floor of the tower so it will be part of the suite's bathroom with a corner tub in the tower part. Wil try to get newer pix in my Picturetrail album soon.