New pictures

uppitycats

Well, after many months of not working on my dollhouse... or only working on it in "fits and starts"....

I just posted some new pictures today -- well progressed beyond the first pictures in my album!

I also have the bay windows done...just not mounted on the house yet. And am working on some of the porch trim, and will be putting on the porch roof in the next few weeks.

This has taken MUCH longer than I anticipated...but I'm still having a grand time. My work is very amateurish, I know...but I'm enjoying it anyway, and already anticipating furnishing the insides.

It's going to be a "cathouse" -- no people, just small cats, everywhere. I've gotten about 8 of them already as gifts..along with quite a bit of furniture. But of course I have to finish the construction, first! :D

yes, regular 1" scale furniture....but cats everywhere...much like in my real house, where my four furbuddies rule the roost! :D

There are even to-scale cat poles, litter boxes, food dishes available; and boxes of food, cat carriers, all that! And I found a cute little bird-in-a-bird cage...something to amuse the inhabitants....

Anyway. A long way to go before I start furnishing it...

Here's an abbreviated version of the instructions to make inexpensive books (sounds perfect for a child's dollhouse, as the "real thing miniature books" are WAY expensive! More than I pay for REAL books!):

Buy foam board at your craft store. This is styrofoam with paper on both sides. It comes in various thicknesses, from very thin to rather thick. I bought the rather thin sheets. It comes in sheets anywhere from around a 3 x 5 postcard to large sheets.

1. Mark vertical lines on the foam core that vary from 1/2" to 5/8" apart, for different bookd widths.

2. Draw horizontal kines from 2/3" to 7/8" apart, for different heights.

3. With an x-acto knofe and a sharp blade, cut the foam board into perfect triangles. Use a steel straight edge with a cork bottom to prevent the rule from slipping.

4. Optional: Glue a 1/8" half-round piece of molding to the spine of each book (or a cut-off toothpick, to make the binding)

5. Cut book jackets to fit. Stuff you can use to make jackets: old postage stamps, wrapping paper, post cards, patterned envelope liners, old photos, labels, bits of cloth, bits of cloth tape, ticket stubs, scraps of leftover wallpaper...almost anything. Use double-sided tape, a glue stick, or white glue, to affix the jackets (remember that the foam is already sided in paper, so the paper will stick well!)

6. Optional: With a gold marker, "emboss" the spines, add titles.

7. Look for miniature books in magazine ads for book clubs. You might also find miniature pics of magazines. You can use the foam board for them, too -- just the thinnest kind. You may have to photocopy the pictures and enlarge or reduce a bit to fit the scale you need.

8. If you want firmer books, or "large portfolios" like dictionaries or "coffee-table books", thin strips of balsa wood work well, too.

I hope this helps!

I like your idea of a cat house. Your house is looking good.

Thank you for the book instructions, you're right buying the mini ones already made up can end up costing lots, so your instructions will be very helpful.

I love your house. You do some beautiful work. And the idea of a cathouse is priceless. Having 4 of the little darlings myself, I totally understand how difficult it is to build a miniature house without help. I have the cutest picture of one of my cats inside the house, but can't figure out how to resize it to post it here. Looking forward to seeing more pictures as you progress.

Cathy

I love the house! It looks so tranquil and peaceful........the perfect place for cats! I can't wait to see how you progress with it. It's such a great idea!

Thanks for the tutorial on the books. I've been looking for something like that and you just filled the need perfectly!

Deb

It's looking great! I love the idea for a cat house. When I was younger I swore I was going to be an old maid when I grew up and live in a big house with 20 cats. :D Instead I ended up with a tiny house, 2 cats, a hubby and 3 rugrats. :unsure: