family tree

kellee

Warning this is a vent !! you can ignore my vent if you want to!!

I have been having a horrible time trying to install my family tree software into the laptop. it just wont install it.!! called FTm and they are lost.!!

Got on the desktop to ad a date and all my info is gone!!! I busted into tears.!! found the cd with my files on it and put them back.!! today I got on the desktop to see if they were still there and they are all gone again.!!

I am going to have to resort back to the old fashioned way and use pen & paper... I have over 2,000 people in the family tree program.. so this should be rather interesting.!!

Thank You for letting me vent.!!

Kellee

Oh if I lost all the information I had on my family tree I would be lying on the floor kicking and screaming. A tantrum like no one has ever seen before. Sounds like an incompatibility with the software and your system. Is it xp of vista?

the laptop is XP and I cannot get the old software onto it.!! FTM2005.

and the desktop is vista ... wont keep my info.!!!

The whole thing is I cannot afford to do the upgrade... and that really is upsetting me.!! I have all this info in limbo and cant do anything about it.!!

kellee

Kelly, I have vista and was having problems with finding software that would work too. I am currently using My Heritage Family Tree Builder and love it It is free online, has face recognition and online presence. Check out this site:

www.myheritage.com

Elicia

LLonSSinSC

Kellee, I use Legacy, also a free program you can download (Standard Edition) and one used by many professional genealogists. You can import your FT files into it.

I started using it with Win98, moved it to XP and am now using it on Vista. All worked like a charm. :p

I had the same thing happen when I got my new computer. After discovering all my genealogy files were missing, my brother transferred the files from the old computer to a cd rom. Only the cd rom won't play on my computer.

I, too, use the family tree maker software and have probably 40k names on file. My brother will send me the files via email after I get the desc back to him (the old computer has gone away now).

I'd be totally freaked out, were it not for the fact that my data is submitted on at regular intervals to the web site. It's a subscription service, but my data is there.

It's been very frustrating not to have access to my family information at my fingertips! My 'Fling is inspired by a chapter out of an ancestor's life. I actually had to go to another site to find my family dates to confirm certain dates.

Maybe I'll stop by my brother's tomorrow, or get it to him at his work next week.

Sounds like this is a problem likely to recur with upgrades. Probably time to upgrade my software too.

As much as I love my pc-technology is only wonderful when it works. I always keep a written record of anything I don't want to loose. We got a virus or somekind of problem thingy once, that kept stealing files, moving them, or deleting them, and it was a bear to fix it! Lucky for me I'm not very trusting of my fun box!! Hope you get it worked out-I know how upsetting loosing all that research time and again must be!

My mom was a big genealogy buff. She was really into research and wouldn't include anything unless it was backed up by at least two different sources. We have visited every cemetary, library, and archives it seems there are. I have a big box filled with her research. She at one point started to put everything on computer before she passed away. I had it and then my computer got zapped by a power surge and I lost it all. I have it backed up, but on old 3.5 floppy disks and the program is no longer supported by any computer. I still have everything in a box, but my cousins want copies of the family tree and it's just overwhelming to think about redoing all of that work. Some rainy day I will start to redo everything and get it all organized.

An even more daunting task is scanning her photograph negatives. She was a photographer and I have boxes and boxes of negatives and slides. That's another rainy day project.

I am currently using My Heritage Family Tree Builder and love it It is free online, has face recognition and online presence. Check out this site:

www.myheritage.com

Elicia

LLonSSinSC

I love myheritage.com. I'm somewhat new to the whole family tree idea as well (given the fact that I inherited all of the information - both paper and cd copies) and myheritage has really helped me to put it all in some semblance of order. Family trees are sort of one of those projects that you'll never truley finish anyway - I just want to be able to pass on as much as I can. I have one question for you though - how exactly do you go about adding living relatives to your online site? I know you can set your preferences so that your particular myheritage site is for members only, but even with that security feaure I have at least one relative that I can think of that does not want any of their info put out on the web. Which I can understand - dishonest people who are looking to defraud you can do a lot with your fist, last, and maiden name and also your dob. I had thought about maybe leaving out the dob of any living relative or maybe just including their first names or initials only on the published version just as a precaution. And then of course I have a full version on my computer that could be emailed or printed or whatever to any family member who wanted a complete copy.

An even more daunting task is scanning her photograph negatives. She was a photographer and I have boxes and boxes of negatives and slides. That's another rainy day project.

Your Mom sounds like mine. She's currently got me scanning old photos b/c in her family (she's the 10th of 10 children) she was the one that was given everything to keep up with. Some of these pictures belong to my great great grandmother and they don't even feel like a photograph (or I guess what I'm used to calling a photograph). Most are thick like postcards, but worn by the years. I'd like to get them all scanned b/c the originals are definitely not going to be around forever. I've done 144 for her so far and she just sent me home the other day with 3 new bags of photos.

Jess, I haven't published online...to my knowledge, I'm the only survivor in my family with the exception of my children and some very distant cousins...my geneology research is strictly for the upcoming generations....Where in TN are you? I'm originally from Chattanooga.....

Elicia

LLonSSinSC

Most genealogy programs have a setting for reports that will change the name of living individuals to LIVING, thus concealing their identity.

On our website, casual visitors will see only LIVING. Family members can register to use the site with my permission, which then enables them to see the information about the living people.

http://www.bayoubohemia.com/genealogy

I use Legacy for my database

http://legacyfamilytree.com

and TNG (The Next Generation) of genealogy software to publish it to the internet. Once the website is set up, all I have to do is upload updated gedcoms to keep it fresh.

http://lythgoes.net/genealogy/software.php

Jess, I haven't published online...to my knowledge, I'm the only survivor in my family with the exception of my children and some very distant cousins...my geneology research is strictly for the upcoming generations....Where in TN are you? I'm originally from Chattanooga.....

Elicia

LLonSSinSC

Sorry - I haven't logged in a bit. I'm from Bristol Tennessee - so not too far from Chattanooga.

Hi Kellee,

I very much understand your frustration. I've found the FTM 16 is the most reliable of the FTM versions. I do not know how well it works with vista. We've stayed with XP because it works well for us.

What did you finally do? :lol:

Not really, although most of the family has no idea I am doing it.!!! My Mothers side of the family which is her twin Brother & a step sister dont have much to do with us anyway...

My husbands side of the family is wonderful, anything I ask they tell.!!! So far I have not uncovered any family secrets other than 1 baby that died at birth.

She was my Grandfathers sister... before he died he told me that he & Wilson had a Sister but He did not know anything about her... other than she died at birth.. so I started looking for her... 2 years ago I found her grave... and I told my Aunt, she told me there was NO baby sister.!! well, I had proof and I told her .... she got upset with me... I have no clue why... it was not her baby.!! I called my Grandfathers nephew and told him about the baby and where she was buried and he started crying.!! He remembered Nanny taking him to the grave but never knew who it was.

I know there are a few family secrets but I have kept them out of my research. Nothing became of it... no children, so I just left it out. I know it should be in there but I dont have names so it is mainly worthless to add it.!

Have you encountered family problems becuase of your research ?

Honestly, I am hoping to find something that has been kept secret for many many years... but nothing has come up yet... I only know my families must have never left Ohio !!! because I cant come up with anything from anywhere else.

Kellee

Kellee

Yes, big ones! They were mostly about my grandmother and grandfather who passed away many years ago. I looked at it as it just being their lives. "There's nothing new under the sun."

Some family members were very upset that I mentioned it, although I never put anything in writing. You'd have to know my family. Nothing bad is every mentioned. Heaven forbid!!!

(Thanks for the website!)

Not FAMILY problems so far as immediate family is concerned; DH is the one with the geneology "bug" (one of his distant cousins - paternal grandmother's first cousin - is a former President) and he was doing some online research into my father's family and found a "first" wife listed that wasn't my Mother (who was his first wife) and turned out to be his older brother's wife! Once we figured it out we contacted the site owner to correct the info and never heard back (and, to my knowledge, no changes were made), so I take a dim view of geneology sites.

Both my great grandfathers were from Ireland. On my mother's side he had to leave Ireland because of something, not sure what. He had the family come here later. They had to leave a sheep ranch in County Mayo. My grandmother was the best woman in my life. My father's family was dysfunctional at best. I never met most of them. Most of them didn't speak to each other. I never looked into it since most of the history is in Ireland. It probably explains why I'm like I am without much question. :dunno:

That is a shame that history becomes a problem... every family has secrets.

Yea, I am starting to search something that could open a big can of worms... but noone will know I am looking into it.!!

Family talks, and sometimes things get out that was not supposed to... and this slipped a few years ago... actually about 12-15 years ago...and it is something that we would like to find out but I doubt we will ever be able to prove it or even find out.

Kelly

I have Vista too, on a Dell, but I have a PC worx program that lets a technician in via internet to adjust/fix problems. I've only needed him once, but it was very worth it. I have all my family tree stuff on hard copy. I had to do it all over a few years ago when my compaq died.