4/23/06 Safest Way To Shop

14 members have voted

1. 1. Which way do you think is the safest way to shop?

• By Phone
    • By Internet
    • In Person
    • All are about the same

I voted for in person only because you seem to have some control over your credit card numbers. That does not stop me from shopping over the internet though. It is so convenient to shop from home, and the variety out there is too good to pass up.

I voted "in person" because really and truly you can pick stuff up and look at it for flaws etc....you can look things over and over before you buy. For the most part i have had good experiences buying online and on ebay, but i have been ripped off before. It doesn't deter me tho, i shop ALOT online and have done so for about 4-5 years with very few problems. It's the chance i take. I do prefer to shop and buy things in person, but the internet has so many more choices available and it's convenient. :lol:

I voted for there all about the same. I've been very lucky in my internet shopping so far and haven't had a bad experience. True you can feel and look things over in person, but I think the chance of your credit card being lost or stolen (or in some cases forgotten to get back from the cashier), can make it just as unsafe. I would recommend checking out the history of the site you may order from and no matter which method you use be very careful in giving information out. But I've been guilty of being accused of being to trusting so I may not be a good example.

I voted for in person only because you seem to have some control over your credit card numbers. That does not stop me from shopping over the internet though. It is so convenient to shop from home, and the variety out there is too good to pass up.

Ditto for me.

Because of the disonances between my accent (I do NOT have a strong

southern accent, BTW) and what the person on the phone is used to I have given up on shopping on the phone (except HBS, THEY understand me when I'm talking to them, but the 'puter's actually faster), otherwise I like both "in person" & "online". We only use one credit card for all online purchases, so if there's ever a problem there's just one number to report and stop.

I voted the safest being in person but I do most of my shopping online if I can. I love the convenience especially when it comes to grocery shopping in the winter. I also shop for a couple of older women friends who aren't able to get out and about and I'm teaching them to shop online as well. It's great fun.

I voted in person. Safest with credit or debit . Now if you were to mean bodily.. lately people have become desperate in my neck of the woods and it is SAFEST to clutch your purse as close as you can in the local grocery store parking lot!

I voted for in person as well!! The only shopping I do online is for mini's seeing that the closet craft store is about 45 minutes away and with the price of gas. I never had a bad experience yet shopping online but I try to be very careful with my credit card/debit card seeing it is the only one I have.

I voted in person too. Mainly because I can pay cash if I want to in person. Also I can look items over first hand to make sure they're not damaged etc, but lots of times things I want or need just arent' available locally and for those I have to go with internet or mail order but I always preffer to buy things in person if possible. I always feel safer buying things in person.

-David

Okay so I have to different. I said over the internet. Here is the reason... they have done studies ( who I really don't know) and it takes a person 7 seconds to memorize all the info off your checks. It was a little longer for debit cards. So unless you pay cash it really is not any safer. Of course then you have to worry about being robbed in the parking lot or car. ( happens way to much!)

I won't say much about the phone except they can be heard through baby moniters. This is the worst in my opinion and don't do it at all.

Most sites now a days have secure checkouts and I won't use one that doesn't.

As for how I would rather shop. That would definatly be in person but as there is just about nothing near me that does not happen very often.

I like in person too, because I can actually see the item I'm interested in. And there's, hopefully, a salesperson there who can answer some questions. One thing I WILL NOT do is go to a store, get the info, and then buy online to save money. There's an Indian saying I think is very appropriate:

It is forbidden to ask the price of something you know you are not going to buy.

When you go to a store yes you pay a little more, but you have the salespeoples' information, which is what you are buying.