What are Your Fondest High School Memories? 5/9/09

I have several people I know who graduate this year from high school this year and it made me start thinking about High School when I was young. It made me wonder, What are Your Fondest High School Memories?

Okay -- I'll take the plunge and answer this one. I guess the most exciting/memorable event in my High School was when a new boy stepped off the bus and joined our freshman class for the second semester. I liked everything about him, and fortunately for me, he reciprocated.

This summer we will celebrate our 45th wedding anniversary. :lol:

• Like 3

I had few friends in high school,was never asked to any dances and did not go to my senior prom as did not want to go alone.Did not even have a boyfriend.So high school was not that memorable

I graduated in 1955. My favorite part of high school was the glee club, an all girl choir. I was second alto and usually sang the tenor parts. We had fantastic Christmas chorals with the other high school group the a capella choir. Not sure how to spell it. We sang the Hallelujah Chourus one year and went on KPHO TV once. I designed our outfits one year and we all made them ourselves, grey straight skirts, white blouses and a kind of checkered vest with grey and red weave pattern and black flat shoes popular back then. This was at North Phoenix High School in Phoenix, AZ. Joanne Goldwater, Barry Goldwaters daughter was a year ahead of me. From what I hear, North Phoenix is gone now. Anyone on the board from Phoenix may know for sure. It was on Thomas Rd., right across from the Country Club. We actually had sororities and Fraternities when I went there. I was kind of nerdy so was never in one. My whole time there is one of my fondest memories. :lol:

Ditto - leaving......in 1959. Best day of my life! Although I did meet my first husband in my senior year homeroom. We went together 7 years and weremarried for 15 - so that has to count for a little bit.

I have pretty good memories. I was not social and had a small group of quirky friends. We loved to go out to eat, usher at the local theater where we got to see plays for free, and go to movies. We would take turns attending the Sunday evening teen programs at the Episcopal and Lutheran churches. We really were an odd group and decided one year to take up square dance sessions a Senior group held at the rec center. Seems like we went through an ice skating binge for awhile, which is almighty strange for SC, but a rink existed at a country club where one friend's family was a member. We didn't pair off until our jr/sr years, and then re-paired a few times before going different directions for college. My friend Susan and I were each others bridesmaids. Our city didn't have many high schools then, but ours had a real theater that the community used for dance and piano recitals. The foreign languages taught were French/Spanish/German/Latin/Russian. I took Latin and Russian. I feel like I finally grew wings in high school, though there were plenty of rocky times. I hated elem/mid schools!

Met Jim in college and we have our 29th aniv coming this summer.

I did so enjoy my junior and senior proms.....they were a lot of fun. My father picked out my gowns for me and brought them home. One made me look like a pale green wedding cake...a short Scarlett O'Hara type of strapless gown with 8 flounces decorated with schiffli embroidery. I swear I looked like a monstrous cake! The other one pink and frothy with bundles of lace. I wanted to look chic and sexy, and wound up looking like a bottle of pepto Bismal!!!!!

LOL Oh yes, I remember the proms well. I was a pretty good dancer back then! I had to be or I would have sat in the coat room all night crying into my scarf! I looked very festive though!

Funny to come home to this topic, as our trip this time was to attend DH's HS class's 50th reunion (his first). My 50th will be next year. I remember a lot from my Senior Year, nothing really sticks out; I was on the yearbook staff and in the mixed choir (another second alto, here) & NHS; the usual stuff. Graduation night was an all-night party and after it was over I broke up with my then-BF.

My 50th reunion is this year in August. I won't be able to attend. I remember the 25th only too well. Most of the guys were not "hunks" anymore, and many of my friends were changed....plus some of them had 8 or more kids! And this was before Angelina and the other mom ....... I was still the skinny one at that reunion.....LOL

Boys and dances. I loved all the social activities and interactions. We also had cabarets and coffee houses. Always lots of fun stuff and friends. I also really enjoyed all the after school trips to the A & W and places like that. Each day one of the first questions was "who's got a car today?" Back then not everybody had a driver's license or car - especially when we were 15. By grades 11 and 12 there were lots more cars. Drive In movies were also fun.

-Susanne

I loathed high school...all I wanted to do was graduate and get out of there. I was about 40 pounds overweight all through high school, and my mother made me dress in knee length skirts, blouses with peter pan collars, and sweaters to match those atrocious pleated skirts. Also, knee socks and penny loafers. I probably would have been fine if it was the 1950's, but this was the early 1970's. Need I say more? You can imagine my popularity.

The summer before my senior year I "rebelled" and lost 40 lbs, got a part-time job, and bought a new wardrobe of short skirts and cute tops, slacks, and several pairs of those chunky heeled shoes popular then. I sashayed into school the first day of my senior year and the boys enthusiastically took note. The girls also took note, but not as enthusiastically. 

However, in general, I did not like school at all. I saw no reason for structured learning...I learned more on my own and was an avid reader and loved learning new things.

I still hate the thought of school. However, my elementary school years were very happy and even though our teachers were 95 year old spinsters (at least they seemed that old) and were extremely strict, I still look back with nostalgia on those days.

• Like 1

Oy, High School memories are tucked deeply AWAY! Hated it! I don't think I have a fond memory of them. People were nasty and cruel, and I never seemed to find a place that I fit. Too clicky for me...I wasn't the cheerleader type, or the nerd...and I smoked, so it seemed the only people I semi-fit with were the "druggies"<which I really didn't fit with either> as we would all meet up outside in smoking area <yup, way back then they had those>

• Like 1

my mother made me dress in knee length skirts, blouses with peter pan collars, and sweaters to match those atrocious pleated skirts. Also, knee socks and penny loafers. I probably would have been fine if it was the 1950's, but this was the early 1970's. Need I say more? You can imagine my popularity.

I graduated from grade 12 in 1983. I didn't have peter pan collars, but the outfit was basically the same, with the addition of a knitted vest. You see, I went to an all-girls Catholic high school and that was our uniform. Colours were maroon and white, and the skirt was plaid. Still have it, in fact.

My best memories of high school are not of the other girls - I never fit in anywhere - but of a few of the teachers. One was Sister Cranston in grade 10 (religion), one was Miss Naunheimer in grade 10 (English), and the last was Mr Nicholas in grade 12 geography. I even named my first son Nicholas after him!

The rest was forgettable and depressing for the most part.

• Like 1

• 11 months later...

That's how I felt, Kathleen; then I got talked into attending my 30th reunion and SWORE I'd never go back! Never say "never"; DH wants to take me (he knows some of my oldest friends, who have been nagging at me to attend) and because he had fun at HIS reunion, we're going. Oh, well, there are plenty of paddling and hiking and biking opportunities.

I was in one of the earliest "alternative" high school programs in Seattle, so my high school experience was a little different. I only actually went to high school my sophomore and junior years - the next year funding for program was cut, ending it and I went off to college instead of finishing high school. There were only 30 or so of us, stuck off in a portable and we just never interacted with the "Big House" kids except to take one or two regular classes like English or math, just us and our three teachers and one counselor. Our schoolwork, if you want to call it that, was mostly done individually and on contract, and mainly we just hung around the portable when we weren't off working or whatever. And since this was 1970-71, there was a lot of pot smoking and just general fooling around, it's a wonder any of us went on to anything else. Some didn't - the drugs got them big time, but then some of us went on to graduate high school and "sell out to the system" and have regular jobs, careers, and families. I remember those supposedly "bad kids" as being some of the gentlest, most caring people I've run into; frankly, from what I've seen of high schools since then, we were pretty nice people, just sad and out of place with ourselves and the world, which is so often true for teenagers. Similar kids now are packing guns and making their high schools terrifying places.

• Like 1

A sad note - just found out that the counselor of my alternative high school program passed away on March 10 at the age of 83. Bless his heart, Thomas J. Cooney was a wonderful man, caring yet down to earth. He was much loved, and rightly so, in the Seattle school district. He was one of those very rare grown-ups that a kid could really talk to, and I miss him to this day.

I was one that never fit in as well.. I tried to fit in with the smokers...

I was overweight and never had a boyfriend and was told I couldn't do any activities cause

I was fat.. and yes they called my mother and told her that...

awwwwwwwww gotta love the 70s-80s lol

A-a-a-a-r-r-r-g-g-h-h-h-h

Elementary was horrible - high school(s) (went to more than one) were even worse - first try at college even worse than that - by the time I was doing a later try at college I was then the "old lady" with that stigma. I've never gone to any reunions - why bother inflicting more torture on myself?

After reading thru this, I wonder if artsy/creative types live more on the loner side of things thus creating the more difficult scenarios to occur? Don't know but it might play into it.

A lot of the time I was so absorbed in my art and music passions that I didn't care that I was an outcast but other times it really hurt to be ridiculed and left out of everything "cool".

• Like 1

Can't say I have any memories of my high school days. I worked a lot so had no time for after school activities and the only classes I really enjoyed was choir and drama. Funny I never did anything in that direction after graduation. Absolutely loathed math and English. Was a voratious reader though.

Spending time with my friends was the best part. We were all fringe people, not part of the dedicated cliques, and no interest in being a part of them. Just a bunch of silly girls with crushes on the hot guys who never paid us any attention, not really into "partying"--not drinkers or smokers, but liked to go to the mall, and movies and such. Looking back, I don't think I was emotionally ready for a steady boyfriend at that age, so it is a good thing to have had time to just be a kid!

Tappy