What are Your Fondest High School Memories? 5/9/09

Though I was not a joiner in High School,I always had a great time in my French classes.

Seems like everyone really cut-up in those classes(much to our fragile teacher's

dismay) and we really had FUN!! But my fave memory was access to the BOOKSTORE!

I still love to read and back then('64-68) to be able to buy all my fave classics at a low price was heaven to me! Hmmm,still is!! I do remember having a tearful moment just

before the graduation march-thinking that for 12 years I had had a place to be each day and now I would be "cut loose" and have to make my own way.It scared me.....

but I lived through it and have had a very nice and interesting life so far!! :D

Art class was my favorite memory. I dropped Spanish as a senior and took Art as an alternative class. I also took art class instead of all my study halls. I had art class 9 times a week as a result. I loved being able to draw, paint, and sculpt. Funny how all these years later I still enjoy creating something.

My best memory of high school was meeting my husband(he was a senior and I was a junior)...it was love at first sight...I remember what he was wearing and what he first said to me, I remember looking at him for the very first time and knowing that I loved him at that moment...

• Like 1

I graduated in 1955. Ages ago. My favorite thing was girls glee club. We were always putting on shows for the school and we were really quite good. I designed our outfits one year and we all made them ourselves. We were on TV in Phoenix. My senior year my family moved to California and the new school was not at all what I was used to. it wasn't much fun. Senior ditch day we took water taxis to Catalina Island for the day. It's a wonder we didn't all drown in those boats. I haven't been on a boat since. :yes:

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Oh I was in band also! Went to college for music after High school because of my great band director.

I guess that would be one of my best memories also. You jogged my poor memory! It was so long ago and considering my age I need help remembering! :D

High school wasn't too terribly long ago for me, 6 years, but I have to say senior year was very memorable. I finally started dating my best friend, who is now my husband. We did everything together that year, even though there were hard times (his father passing away and some problems at my house) when I think about it I remember all the good times first. Next month is our 4 year anniversary.

Thinking about it, not only do I have no fond memories of high school, I have hardly any memories of it all, except for a couple of girls who went out of their way to make me miserable for a couple of years. Boy, was I glad when they graduated!

In my yearbook, there are faces that look familiar, but I can't put names to more than a couple of them. Joe Biden's wife and I were in the same class. i don't remember her at all.

• 2 weeks later...
is this topic pg rated?
The entire forum is PG.

Marching Band :popcorn: And my couple of good friends I had then, I still am in contact with 20 years later even without Facebook.
I'm on my way home from my 50th HS class reunion. None of us talked about what we were or were doing in HS (at least in the groups I found myself). The first words out of everyones' mouths were "Where are you now?" and referred both to what we are now doing and where we are living. And the firends I have since 2nd grade and I simply take right up wherever we left off from the last time.

One high school memory which always makes me smile was how my friends and I would hang out after school was over and start traipsing arm in arm down the empty hall singing "We're off to see the wizard", then someone suddenly turned the corner and surprised us!

We also sent Valentine flowers to our 11nth grade English teacher. Our lockers were just outside his door, so we were always hanging out in his room. He was a sweet old guy who looked like Mickey Rooney in his later years.

I do have fond memories.

In my class there were only 8 kids and we had so much fun.

Because the class was so small we were allowed much more then kids in other classes.

After school we hung out together, going to the beach in summer and sitting on the beach around a fire.

That is forbidden now, making fires at the beach, but not back then.

After graduating I really missed school and my classmates.

Years later I went to a reunion.

What a disseapointment. They all had changed in really boring grownups with lots of blabla and boring lives.

Gerda, go back for your 50th reunion. By then the survivors are so glad to see each other we're back to going to the beach and sitting around playing guitars and singing old folk songs.

• Like 2

I remember the art teachers trying to convince me to take an art class, but I always refused. After failing art in 8th grade I decided I wasn't going to waste my time trying to please some burned out ex-hippie who only considered psychadelic nonsense to pass as "art." Marching band was easily the source of my fondest memories. Practicing from 7 a.m. to 10 p.m. Monday throught Friday on a hot parking lot for two months every summer. The many football games (which our team almost always lost) and about a hundred of us band guys going to our across-town rival's parking lot for three nights in a row, painting every line blue and painting the wheelchair symbol in every single parking spot in time for Monday morning after they lost to us. :wave: It seemed like there was always a party or some practical joke going on.

Unfortunately I moved to Florida at the end of my Junior year, so my last year of high school I didn't know anyone very well. I did attend the 10 year reunion in 2004, but less than 30 of the 400 members of my graduating class showed up.

• Like 1

My Senior English Lit teacher. She was awesome! Before I was in her class I would see her in the hallways dressed up in various costumes at different times during the year. I thought she was bonkers but brave. I am all about the theatrics! When my senior year rolled around and I was placed in her class, I finally realized she was not bonkers and was totally awesome! She was dressing as various characters in the different literary classics. You know, to this day, I can remember most of them! Awesome times!

Ah, I shall never forget my Senior English teacher, a bitter, sadistic woman whose greatest lesson to me was that people with personal issues and in positions of power delight in inflicting pain on those they perceive as subservient to them. Wherever she is now, she was well-remembered by her students at our 50th reunion...

Freshman year I had a teacher go out of his way for me. He noticed my artistic talent, went to the dean and had me pulled out of drama o be placed into a Independent Study class of all things art. I was skipped over all the prerequisites and got a lot of one on one time with him. I learned a lot from him and to this day, totally appreciate the lengths he went to to get me in to that program. The result got me into a few galleries in ID, auctions for charity and even published in magazines.

I also liked the few teachers I had that were more like friends than authority figures. They always made school more enjoyable, and therefor easier to get good grades. :hug: Hard to get the "A" when you are bored to tears.

• Like 1