Shout out to Beacon Hill builders!

WyckedWood

My Beacon Hill is getting very impatient... Lots of work and no time to do it. But I have the downstairs room finally wallpapered, so I can glue the front wall into place... Here's a picture just to show.

I am planning on painting the floor a darker colour, but still hesitating whether the room would get too dark that way..

rgds

Ohhh I Love the Pictures so far!!

Megs, the Dormers were a Killer to put together..... 13 different prices of wood! I was really staring at them thinking to myself "Really, there is no easier way to do this??" LOL you gotta sand them perfectly too or else it shows up when you paint it :w00t:

Louise, that's is really cool what you did on the floor in the hallway!

Carin, your house is coming along quite nicely!!

I though the Lily build was difficult until I did the Beacon Hill! If I ever do another one, it will be all paperclay stones and bricks. I want to do it but then again, I will have to wait until I forget how difficult the build was :) That's why I am in Awe of Linda. She built two of those back to back. I'm very impressed!!

Very nice pictures ladies, you both have done a wonderful job so far!! I still haven't got those pictures taken yet, real life has had me so busy, I can't even breathe half the time never mind have time for my poor house. I pulled her out and set her on the kitchen table a couple of days ago to do some more work on the siding and before I had a chance to start I was called into work, one of my co-workers was sick and couldn't make it in, needless to say I didn't even have a chance to start and she is still sitting there longing for me to get back to her. I have the next couple of days off, hopefully I won't get called into work and I will actually have a chance to get some work done and pictures taken!! I'm excited to share my progress with you all!!

Progress on the Beacon Hill is coming along slowly, I worked all day yesterday, and managed to get the bay windows painted and installed. My plan for today was to remove and prepare all the pieces for the dormer windows and work on some more siding, however as I was getting started on removing those dormer pieces the phone rang, I contemplated ignoring it but I am to honest and couldn't do it, so once again I have been called into work on my day off!! I really shouldn't complain as I can so use the extra hours right now, January has been a slow month so my hours have been cut back considerably. I was just excited to use the extra time to go full force on my house and get some serious work done. So as far as I can tell, it will be a while before I can get at those dormers, as one of my co-workers is having some major struggles at home and I will be covering her shifts for the next while until she is able to come back to work. I will keep chipping away at it bit by bit, there is no rush, I'm just really excited to see what it's going to look like when the exterior is completed!!

• 2 months later...

Long time no see ladies (and a few gents!) Work has been keeping me SUPER busy, so no time really to play till recently! So, odd question. When putting in doors... the, um... walls aren't thick enough. How does one go about fixing that? Didn't think about that till I got one in! ^_^'

I gather you're using upgraded premade doors, like Houseworks? I used scrapwood from the kit to shim the frames. Otherwise I just go ahead and make new doors from scratch that fit with the GL kit walls.

There are days and there are days..... I just finished putting the roof panelling on the roof of the Beacon Hill.. What a nightmare. At the moment it is drying, fixed with nails, tape, glue clamps, anything I could possibly get my hands on to keep it in place.. Still.. it starts to look better and better.. I have the small part of the roof still to fit. Any tips?

Rgds

Louise

• 2 weeks later...

All that I remember about the small section of roof (on the left side) is that I couldnt get to it to shingle after it was in place,because of the angle. Not sure if thats the section youre referring to. I had a really hard time with my roof too, because my kit was an older one. Reading your post wytchy, brought back a lot of memories,lol :)

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Wyckedwood,We are also doing a Beacon Hill. I'm not liking the staircase too much. We ordered some staircase railings to possibly run down the sides. We ran out of baseboards and had to order more and we're waiting for those to come in. We don't live near an A.C. Moore's or any dollhouse stores so we end up ordering from places on the internet. Its coming out great though. Kitchen is done. We are working on the entrance hall/diningroom now. The floor is in, wallpaper is up andchair rails and other trim. Except for the door trim, thats where we ran out. Well I knew this was going to take awhile so I guess I just need patience. Can we post pictures of our progress?

Thought I would report some progress on my Beacon Hill... Here's a picture of the 1st floor landing with wallpaper and doors... not quite finished but just to give you an idea...

Thanks.. It is DH wallpaper in a french i think what they call toile du jouy design, I bought it at a dollhouse fair a couple of years ago and decided it would look good in the beacon hill since this is going to be a "past elegance" style.. I am sure whether to leave it like this or age it.. it's too nice to do that.

Here's another one, that shows the design a bit closer up.

rgds

louise

If you have any scraps try gently tapping a used teabag on it and let it dry and see how you like it. I rather think that lovely paper in a Beacon Hill would suggest current elegance!

I love that term wytchy...'past elegance' lol....your stairwell looks beautiful even though Im squinting at it since I cant enlarge the picture to see it very well. I love the wallpaper also.

• 2 months later...

Just pulled my Becon Hill back out after several years. Lots of great ideas and amazing photos. Getting ready to work on my addition to the kitchen side which will include a wrap around porch. Any ideas to make it easier?

• 1 month later...