Shout out to Beacon Hill builders!

WyckedWood

I spent about an hour studying the BH rooms and making notes of the changes I want to make in them. I'm at the point that I need to make decisions before many more steps forward. I've decided this will be lived in by a modern family who have bought it and are restoring it sort of shabby chic-ish. Rooms will be redesigned for their own hobbies and needs, not necessarily the way the house was originally designed. The top floor will be a small guest bedroom/art studio/library area. Downstairs I'm moving the door into the dining/living room to the back of the house near where I've moved the kitchen entrance. Can't quite decide if L/D entrance will be in the middle of the funny angled wall, or farther back (probably) so that angle will be left as a cozy spot for a settee.

The second floor: bedroom door will be moved back toward the spots the kitchen and L/D room doors are located so I have a roomier space near the fancy picture window for a chair and writing desk. Since the stairway won't take up most of this space after the redesign, this will add some nice real estate to this floor. The bathroom won't change much other than about an inch bump out and windows that may move up from the kitchen if I join on the greenhouse down there.

The staircase up to third floor will be simple and straight. I'm debating about removing one of the room walls up here. The tiny room would make a nice art studio and wouldn't need much privacy.The other side could have a murphy bed.

Haven't worked out the details for the steps up to the roof and into the tower room. Keeping all the stairways simpler will give me more space to work this out.

I'm not creative about 'creating' a story to surround the house, but I'm thinking that this house was in poor shape and bought cheap by a couple of college professors and their family. The kids are already in college and only home on weekends and holidays. The dad is an artist, mom gardens and writes. The rooms have been restored to meet there needs in these hobbies: space to get messy with paint, privacy to write, a greenhouse for puttering. Kids camp out on the upper floor when they come home with friends. The tower could hold a writing desk.

My photos of the downstairs mock-up aren't very clear, but you can get an idea of the placement. The other two photos are really hard to make out, but I was trying to show the two choices for the entrance into the downstairs L/D room

post-2290-1243795026_thumb.jpg

post-2290-1243795040_thumb.jpg

post-2290-1243795054_thumb.jpg

I think I can see where youre going with that. I like the story and the ideas. What are your thoughts for the exterior? I know you said you werent using the siding.

Today Im finishing the last two dormers and I did some siding and trim work. The siding leaves a lot to be desired,Im seeing a lot of overgrown vines,moss for this house,to cover bad spots. I still havent decided on colors for the exterior,but think I will keep it in the browns/neutrals/mocha arena. Goes with the solemn,abandoned feel Im going for.Then again part of me wants to do distressed mint.

Karin and Gayle, I like the ideas you have for your houses! I didn't do too much bashing on mine---I'd built 1 other dollhouse at the time I started the BH---a Heritage by Duracraft--so until I joined this forum, I didn't know it was an option to do such cool things :giggle: I did extend my kitchen, and put french doors in the parlor which will lead to the conservatory. (I'm still working on the foundation though...still can't get it right...)

I have so many "irons in the fire" right now, just not sure what to do next....I am really the type of person who likes to finish one project before starting on another....but I don't think that applies to minis,lol

OOOOOooooo, I love this thread. I'm working on my Beacon right now (after time off for the job). I started a blog on here but haven't added to it in a long time. I am currently working on my bash of the first floor stairs. They have been a little bit of a pill so far. I think my ideas sometimes outweigh my abilities. I look forward to reading and seeing more about what you are doing with your Beacons. I will post some updated photos soon. Thanks for the thread.

Cindi,Im looking forward to seeing your pictures.

Cathy,so are you changing the bay window in the living room (side one) into a doorway to a conservatory? Thats a really cool idea,you got me thinking there,cause I havent done the bay windows yet,so still have options. I normally dont deviate from the kit much,but Gayle has me inspired :doh:

I finished my dormers (except for a little trim)last night. By the time I finished the fourth one I was really enjoying it,by that time I knew excatly how much to cut and where everything went. Found that it is much easier if you paint the pieces for the windows while they are still in the sheets. BUT you have to be very careful when you punch the sheet out,bcause the paint makes it a little harder to get them out. Then you can easily do touch up paint after its in place. I find it much easier and more enjoyable to paint something after its glued in place rather than dealing with painting a thousand little flat pieces of trim individually.

I also have a tip for the dormers, the top of the dormers are made up of slats (I had to trim mine abut 1/2 in.)you glue each one around in the half circle and try to defy gravity until the glue dries. So I found that after you have the slats up,shove a wadded up paper towel in the window opening and it will hold the slats in place until the glue dries. Just be careful not to get glue on the papertowel. The papertowel only has to barely touch the boards to keep them in place.

Thanks for the tips on the dormers, I just about gave up on them, I was on the verge of tears, than I remebered it was a hobby. I got them in, but would rather not do it again!

when I get up to the roof someday, I'd like to change that tiny tower window to one like the others in the roof area. I could use the leftover round parts from the tower window to make a tower clock...maybe

I wonder if that's the reason I haven't gotten to those silly dormers yet,lol....just not looking forward to the tears :birthday: I have a micro BH too, and that's the point I stopped...lol

Yes, I put the french doors where the bay window would have gone in the living room (side wall). It fit almost perfectly too :)

I love this thread, but it is making me want to get back to my BH soooo much, and I just haven't had the time :hiya:

I'm going to be off while I have knee "surgery"--well just arthroscopy...maybe if I can finish my Gazebo contest project, I can get back to the BH---oh, but she's being soooo patient! Maybe at least the micro BH anyway !

Cathy,good luck with your surgery. Hope you get to work on your BH soon.

By french doors do you mean the front door or the second floor front window? Just wanted to clarify because Ive heard both of those refered to as the french door. The front door(to me)is more of a french door,since I dont plan a door/porch on the second floor,just a window.

I worked on the stairs a little more last night. How you guys get your houses done in what seems no time at all AMAZES me! It takes me forever to get anything done.

The front door(to me)is more of a french door,since I dont plan a door/porch on the second floor,just a window.

i'm planning to put the 'M' shaped door/window where the front door is and the front door which will be the back door, where the kitchen window is :congrats: confused yet? :happydance:

Karin,

I was talking about the first floor --right side of the house if you are in the back of the house-- and I put a Houseworks french door in there...I added some cute gold handles (to open the doors) I think I might have a picture in my gallery---in the pictures with the living room.

Cindi, don't worry, I have been working on mine 2.5 yrs---on and off---and I know it's going to take a while longer....I just figure, it's not a race, work at your own pace...it'll be there... I guess if you put all the little work sessions together, it might only be 8 or 9 months, but between my DH and 3 kids, work, etc, there just isn't always a lot of time for anything else ....

Linda,

I gotta think on that one,lol...but sounds great:)

I see Cathy,its a Houseworks french door,that clarifies it for me,that sounds like a great idea.

Linda,I was working on the kitchen today, I thought the same thing about the kitchen window,would make a good spot for a door. OR I was kind of thinking of covering the window so there isnt an opening there at all and it would give me more wall space,something that kitchen desperately needs.

Cindi,The stairs took me a long time too, I called them a puzzle within a puzzle within a riddle.

Im working on the kitchen again today, I covered up that front window and it looks good. I think from the outside you wouldnt think there should be a window there. Just waitin for the paint to dry on the windows,hope I can finito this room by tonight. I went with cream painted floor boards,I like em. I think its going to be more of a dining room than kitchen,although now that I have a full wall, one of those new awesome Ruetter kitchen wall units,with either the sink or oven built into them,would be sweet!

I need to stop thinking of bashes, and get working again. The upstairs bedroom isn't big enough for me, so I thought about making bays over the lower bays, but I'm trying to get over that.

I need to make an 'Ernie' order for some flooring. It will be much easier to put down at this stage.

I finally got my Ernie order today,Ive been waiting weeks for more door trim and they accidently sent me floor trim....grrrrrrrrrrrrr....now I have to wait again and hope they compensate me for the price difference,since what I got was way less expensive then what I ordered and payed for. :congrats:

On the plus side...I finished the kitchen today,more of an abandoned dining room....but its one more room down:)

I like the sound of bedroom bays....place for a little reading nook, sounds really neat.

Called HBS this morning and they are sending the door casings,and I get to keep the baseboards they accidently sent...for free :D I recant my desire to do them bodily harm.

Also, I think I discovered why their wallpaper is so expensive,almost 9 bucks for 3 measly sheets....I can copy it and make my own! Ive never been successful at printing wallpaper from the free printie sites,dont understand how to do it,but I stuck my big sheet in the printer,used matte photo paper to copy and it looks better than the originals that are printed on the cheapest paper ever made. Now Im trying the pattern I chose,Blue Du Barry in Black and White and it looks so fab I could cry :)Its faded shades of gray. Oh,also, when I got my wallpaper it was all smooshed in the box :yes: ,so,I thought well it probably wont print that well,but its printing with an aged look,because there are shades of light and dark since it was smooshed up!

Disclaimer:this paper is for my own use,I dont know if its copyrighted,but I would not try to sell or distribute it illegaly.

Cathy,I decided I am 99% sure Im going to do the french doors off the side too,hope you dont mind my borrowing your idea.

Everyone is at a different stage on their BH! Its good to know I'm not the only one with some troubles putting it together :yes: ! I have been working on mine for about a year now, between work and kids etc. This is only my third house, and its a doozy :D . I have the exterior pretty much finished, and have the interior primed so far. I am now working on doing some of the windows in stained glass, which I am using thick plastic sheets, and painting them with stained glass paint I got from Hobby Lobby, it looks great! I'm using a thin permanant marker to draw the leading lines, and found that drawing the lines on first and then painting it works best. I'm probably only going to do the front doors, french doors, tower window and maybe the dormer windows, just to highlight those areas, otherwise it would take me forever. I have been collecting furniture, carpet and wallpaper over the past year, so I'm excited to start doing the interior. I love all the ideas I'm getting from this site! I keep writing them on sticky notes, and now have decided to consolodate my pile of scribbled notes into a notepad.

That's pretty much how I painted my first "stained glass" window (exccept I didn't have the Gallery Glass paints so I used a gel medium with the acrylic paints to make them transparent), and then I used black acrylic paint straight from the paint tube with a liner brush to go over the marker lines before I filled in the colors.