4/29/06 Your worst project ever

Ooo, that's hard, because I think EVERY project I do, especially for the first time, is my worst, but the ABSOLUTE worst was the first pair of longjohns I ever knit in 1:12, I was feeling so-o-o smart & smug, using Venus Dodge's oh-so-simple instructions. I took one look at the finished product & proceded to knit another set (n the picture); the first set went into the "round file", never to be seen again.

BTW, those are "store-bought dolls" (Reggie & Mr Petty).

funny you should ask....I just had out my 1/144th scale church

yes I have one.....it is totally messed up. I not only glued it I also used clamps...its never going to come apart...one problem.....its not pose to be glued how I did it!

and it WONT come apart...I was just debating on to toss it or try and make my own parts but the main area I dont think I can salvage so Im gonna toss it :lol:

but befor October comes and its time to take them to the Library I will have a church and school....maybe even a store. now just got to find some!

most projects I have found if you step away from them you will find a way to correct the problem before you have to toss it.

unless you do it up good!

lol

nutti :D

The most memorable one wasn't a mini. It was a full scale macrame plant hanger. Let's just say that I was never a sailor in a previous life coz I can't tie a knot. I've seen the cat hack up hair balls that looked better than that thing.

Late one night, I buried it in the desert and salted the ground.

Deb

My worst project was attempting to kitbash two of those Dee's Delights 1:48 "house" shadowbox kits into a single L-shaped loft. Aside from nothing being level, the L-shape made the rooms too deep for their height, resulting in one very dark kitchen.

No, actually, the worst project was attempting to do an elaborate paint job on the exterior of two Michael's hutches for that 1:48 house project from DHM. On highly absorbent basswood, acrylic paint leaks under the blue painter's tape. What a mess!

In both cases, I tossed the mess. The loft was recreated in a desk organizer, turned sideways so that the slots are the floors. The hotel project is still in limbo.

No -- wait! -- the WORST project was trying to paint a 1:24 Town Square white refrigerator. I ended up covering it with Mrs. Grossman's stickers when the third coat of paint peeled the first two off. That's still in progress.

The worst project was a kind of mini. I tried a scratchbuild of the U.S.S. Voyager out of foam insulation. A carving project. It actually looks pretty good, but I gave up because I couldn't stop it getting damaged. Ever used styrofoam insulation? It carves well, but everything on this (and probably many others) planet eats the stuff. Glue, paint, everything. You have to use white glue, which won't hold sheet styrene used for relief detail, eventually found acrylic contact cement that worked. The ONLY paint that would give a decent finish was Krylon spray acrylic. Just try this stuff, I dare ya. You will run out of your entire vocabulary of words heard in the South Park movie before you have the first coat on. And run is the operative word. Unless you stand 36 feet from the subject and dust a coat on. Which means you'll need about 800 coats to actually cover the thing, and this paint aint cheap.

Well I did get a decent paint job on the beast, even started some light weathering the visually create the panel lines (try scribing into foam insulation-lotsa fun), then I had to move. Pulled the model out, and found the whole front of the saucer mashed in. Well I don't find the subject appealing enough to spend 100 plus on Ebay for a model, so guess what I though about starting this thing again? The foam is just too soft, it bashes in too easily.

After this I started the sheet styrene model of The Betty. I'll not use styrene foam again.

The most memorable one wasn't a mini. It was a full scale macrame plant hanger. Let's just say that I was never a sailor in a previous life coz I can't tie a knot. I've seen the cat hack up hair balls that looked better than that thing.

Late one night, I buried it in the desert and salted the ground.

Deb

ROFLMAO!!! Thanks for that one deb.. Needed the morning laugh. You better place a gargoyle or paint your front door red just in case the ghost of macrame past comes to haunt you!

My worst project is still staring at me to fix. I have one of those chinese screens, the kind that is black w/ white fabric on back and it has gated like wood on the front. You have probably seen them in walmart.

I got it into my lil head that I was going to paint the panels. I drew a Geisha in the middle and branches on the side panels (going to be cherry blossoms) Looked Great! Until I started to paint it. That fabric sucks the paint up like crazy!!

I like it and hate it. Must be the artist in me. I am ready to rip out the fabric and start over!

A friend gave me her 85% completed Glencroft because she got stymied with it.The asphalt shingle granules fell off on the trip from NJ,and she kitbashed it in a contemporary style and I like the Tudor style so I wound up buying another Glencroft kit and doing most of it over.I replaced all the windows with stained glass casements,hand cut the timbers from strip wood,added 2 rooms, and got it about half shingled with cedar shingles because I wasn't sure where i wanted fireplaces.I never could figure out how to do the interior and it sat for years.I felt like taking it out back and burning it on days when it really frustrated me but I already had so much labor and money in it that I couldn't.I've finally decided how to do the inside.I don't think I will ever take on another project like that.It was too different to begin with from what I wanted it to be and too hard to change it into what I wanted it to look like.

Did you prime your fabric first? If you paint it with gesso first it oughtn't suck up the paint (we won't go into how I learned THAT).

No havana! That is why it is one of my worst projects!! LOL

I got all gungho about it and didnt think it thru. Now I am a lil worried if I were to prime the rest and paint, the colors will be off from what i have already done.

I guess if I was planning on scrapping the whole thing anyway, I could try it and see what happens. It is going to be for Chels room. She has an asian themed room. Red walls, black trim. Going to paint a relief on the ceiling. I want to have to whole room finished for when she comes back from Art school in July.

Thanks for support and really would love to know HOW you learned that..

Heidi

really would love to know HOW you learned that..

Since you ask... We hop into the ol' Time Machine & go 'way, 'way back to the dim & distant past to my last trimester at UF (a thankfully brief flirtation with the trimester system allowed me to finish my BA in three years) and an elementary ed art course I took because the prof was Peter Bodner. Actually he had us priming our canvases with interior latex primer and ALL our painting techniques were done by mixing our own (oils, water-based, whatever) with powdered tempera. That's where I learned that unprimed fabric will eat your paint (and sometimes spread it all over creation, to boot). Actually he was ahead of his time, preaching K.I.S.S!

That's where I learned that unprimed fabric will eat your paint

So will luan, I just tried using automotive filler/primer on the inside walls of the of the Garf. This is paint designed to fill things, and the wood sucked it up like a sponge. Did nothing to the grain, just left a bunch of runs (runs come in bunches BTW). At 6 bucks a can, NOT recommended.

Oh, I used Dupli-Color, they're stuff is good.

So will luan, I just tried using automotive filler/primer on the inside walls of the of the Garf. This is paint designed to fill things, and the wood sucked it up like a sponge. Did nothing to the grain, just left a bunch of runs (runs come in bunches BTW). At 6 bucks a can, NOT recommended.
well I'll take your word for it and not use that :lol:

I was hoping to really smooth the surface, not just seal it, so I could lay on a smooth colour coat. This stuff didn't do it. I should have tried summink like future through the gun, spray bombs are just too thinned down. On the other tentacle it was worth a try. There's evidently a primer for use in a spray gun that you lay on as thick as mud, but I've never seen in anywhere. Mr. Surfacer is supposed to be really good, but it's a laquer and the thinner is REALLY nasty. They usually recommend spraying outdoor with a respirator, I think I'll pass. I may try craft acrylic thinned with Future, evidently it works really well. I think I'm just into trying weird techniques.

The worst project I have ever done is I attempted to re paint a hutch and lets just say it turn out well. The orange color paint I used turned into peach for some reason I still have it maybe it will be just a practice piece to try different things on.