Clearing congestion-with no decongestants

Sherry

I have horrible allergies and sinus problems. Every summer I get really congested, but because of my BP, I'm not supposed to take decongestants. I use an inhaler, and Mucinex, but it's not helping much this year, so I'm so congested I can hardly breathe when I get up in the mornings. Anyone have any good home remedies for this? It keeps me so tired I can hardly get anything done, for about 2 months per year!

Can you get menthol crystals and dissolve them in a basin of hot water. You stick a towel over your head and breath in the menthol steam. I find that works well because it means that you don't have to stick things up your nose which I hate doing. We also have a product over here called "Karvol". It comes in little capsules that you squirt onto a pillow or hanky and you breath it in. It is used a lot for babies because you don't really want to squirt stuff up their noses either.

I have a neti pot, and it's great for sinus congestion. But at night, this stuff settles in my chest. I didn't know you could get menthol crystals, that's an idea! I had forgotten about eucalyptus until you mentioned that. I used to put eucalyptus oil on the collar of the sweater I wore at school...smelled peculiar, but at least I could breathe!

I thought there was a special decongestant out there for people with high blood pressure. Hold on let me look.....

There is Coricidin HBP. Does not have decongestant in it but can be used for colds and cough relief. And there is Teldrin HBP.

Do you take something for allergies like Claritin?? It might not clear the congestion you have now, but it may help with it before it gets too bad...I take it almost all year long, and have so many less sinus problems, colds, etc! The Drs told me mucinex too because of my high BP, it will just probably help "dry" things up, and move them along...good luck :wave:

I take Zirtek and Mucinex every day, a saline nasal spray and Nasalcrom spray. Mucinex is basically what the HBP meds are, so I can't take those in addition to the Mucinex. I got out my eucalyptus this morning and that seems to be helping some. I'm just tired of being stopped up all summer!

My mother used to put Vicks Vacorob in a bowl of boiling water and make my brothers and I hold towels over our head and breath in the vapors. Blech! But it worked!

I'm one for the Vicks thing. I've also gotten 'shower steamer' lozenges that I use when I'm really stuffy with a cold. How about the snore strips? They at least open the nasal passages better. If I can force myself to sleep with my head tilted more 'up', then I find my nose doesn't get as congested during the night. Make sure bedding and ceiling fans are as clean as possible. There are hypoallergenic pillows and pillow covers available.

I have horrible allergies and sinus problems. Every summer I get really congested, but because of my BP, I'm not supposed to take decongestants. I use an inhaler, and Mucinex, but it's not helping much this year, so I'm so congested I can hardly breathe when I get up in the mornings. Anyone have any good home remedies for this? It keeps me so tired I can hardly get anything done, for about 2 months per year!

I have this same problem with allergies -- at 50 have to start shots again :cucumber: -- but this works for me: Breathe Right strips with Vicks and Sea Mist. Sea Mist is a saline mist that you use to "flood" your sinus cavities and I really mean flood. My ENT recommended this and it does work to relieve the congestion and keep down the sinus infections. Hoping you get some relief!!!

They even make a vaporizer that does that now, Wolfie. I asked DH to pick one up for me, and he came home with a humidifier instead. I guess he thought they would do the same thing!

Gee, my husband did the same thing!

I've suffered from pollen allergies and sinus infections all my life, but fortunately they're much better now.

Have you tried taking echinacea? I started taking it for sinus problems years ago. Whenever the congestion started to get bad, I'd go back on echinacea and it would always start to clear up after a few days.

I did have one bad infection one year, my ear got affected and I had to see an ear nose and throat man. I told him about taking the echinacea, and although he said according to what he'd read, the authorities said it didn't really work, he'd also heard from from people that they'd had great results. He figured as long as it worked for me I should continue to take it when I felt I needed to.

The echinacea is supposed to imrove your body's ability to fight infections, etc.

I have three different nasal inhalers! They help, but not all the time. Somtimes I'm so congested nothing will get through. One thing I do is get the strongest mint gum I can find and chew it for extended periods of time. It helps and also cuts down on food cravings. I need to check into whether allergy shots are covered, alas.

I slathered the vicks all over last night. It does seem to help with the morning congestion some. I'm sorry for sounding so whiny, but when I can't breathe, it makes doing ordinary household chores a real challenge. I'm not someone who can just sit around, but I get exhausted doing yard work or moving furniture around to vacuum. It's been this way ever since we moved back to Lubbock. I swept all the dirt off the porch and patio yesterday and the dust made me so stopped up, I was through for the day!

Back in the OLDEN' days they could not treat ASTHMA like they do today. I use ADVAIR too. Now and then I do what the Old country docs would precribe.....

A deep pan of boiling vinegar and water.

With a towel surrounding my head, (like a tent). Breath in and/or inhale the vapors.....does give some temporary relief and is a safe "Holistic" treatment.

Sherry, hope some of the suggestions work for you. Most of us have no idea of what allergy sufferers go through. I had a bout with allergies in my early 20's. Of all things for me, the trigger was cat fur/dander. I took the allergy injections for about a year and haven't had a problem since. That was over 30 years ago.

How long do the allergy flare-ups last? Are there times of the year when the symptoms are not as bad? As I'm reading this thread I'm thinking that severe allergy sufferers could end up with some long term health issues as a result of the infections and breathing difficulties.

Hugs

-Susanne

Don't use steroids with high BP. My personal favorite is sterile salt water. Your pharmacist can probably give you pure sodium chloride tablets, dissolve one in a cupful of boiling water and cool it down to body temp and either put it in a small spray bottle to use as a nasal spray, or into a small glass that you can fit your nose into and snort some up through your nose and spit it out into the sink, irrigating your nasal passages and sinuses. Either one works, your body doesn't get habituated to it, like it can with the decongestant sprays, and it's not going to mess with your meds.

Hi, Holly, nice to see you back! How was the trip? What you are suggesting sounds like what I do with the neti pot. It does help!

Susanne, the chronic infections from the allergies do affect you, so does not getting enough oxygen. The asthma is due to allergies, and my doctor wants me to use Advair-but I've heard so much bad about it, that I am looking for something better!

In the bad old days I have to say I tried all the nonprescription relief methods mentioned in this thread. None of them worked well for me. As soon as I removed the mentholated whatever, or the steam, etc, I was congested in a flash, I mean within minutes.

I mentioned echinacea.

A heating pad is sometimes helpful, on face or chest, wherever the congestion is. It would often make me breathe easier for a time.

If congestion is in my head, a breeze often hits the spot and clears it up. I used to sit on my breezy front porch and read, and usually it worked well. When I didn't dare go outside because of allergies, I tried a fan. It wasn't as good as a fresh air breeze, but sometimes it made things better.

Of course there's always the pressure point on the back of the neck. There's 2 spots on the back of your neck, kind of hard to describe where they are. They're just to the sides of the muscle on the back of your neck. If you press firmy with your fingertip on just the right spot, you'll be amazed how your sinuses clear up in just a few seconds. Unfortunately, they clog again as soon as you let go. Feels fantastic while it's working though.

I forgot, another thing.

If you can suck in any air up your nose, keep at it. The cooler air will sometimes slowly cause the membranes to shrink a bit. I tried a cold pack once, but it didn't work . I recall breathing in the cold air rising from an iced drink though, that was nice.

No one in my family ever tries my remedies. They all think they're weird. I just say fine, they worked for me, you can suffer and don't come whining to me.

Cold air really does help! When it's winter and I get a bad sinus headache, I drive around with the car windows open. People with their windows rolled up and the heater going probably thought I was out of my mind, but it really does help. I have been continuing with the vicks at night and it does seem to help. yesterday was not too bad a day-good thing, since all the kids are here for the reunion and I had tons of stuff to do! I hope it holds off until everyone goes home.

Holly, that is basically what the neti pot does. Not very pleasant to do, but it does clear out the sinuses!