Dollhouse Book Reviews

A book that no one has mentioned yet is The Art of the Miniature by Jane Freeman. It is the book that kept my interest in miniatures alive when I wasn't seeing much of anything. Granted I was traveling on business 100%, so my attention was elsewhere.

It isn't a how-to book as much as an inspiration book. She is an artist more than a miniaturist. She did a series of dioramas/vignettes after being inspired by the TV show Beauty and the Beast. I love the pictures in the book and while she does take you through her process, it is not intended for the reader to re-create one of her scenes. What I enjoy most is where she talks about how she used found objects and materials in the scenes. I also like her aesthetic. You can see the scenes at her website.

I recently picked up the Needlework book and the furniture book by Venus Dodge. After having it out of my library, I gave in and bought a used copy of Pamela Warner's Miniature Embroidery for the Twentieth Century Dolls House. I love the arts and crafts items and the art deco rug from a British mansion.

• Like 1

Jane Freeman used to do a column in the now-defunct Dollhouse Miniatures magazine.  I remember the series of room boxes she did for the 1987 tv "Beauty and the Beast" that included the back stage tv cameras, etc, and Catherine's apartment.

13 hours ago, zigzagpipixcan said:

You can see the scenes at her website.

3 hours ago, havanaholly said:

Jane Freeman used to do a column in the now-defunct Dollhouse Miniatures magazine.  I remember the series of room boxes she did for the 1987 tv "Beauty and the Beast" that included the back stage tv cameras, etc, and Catherine's apartment.

Holly, click the website link in Christine's entry. the "Beauty and the Beast" and many other examples of her work are there.

• 8 months later...

Dolls House Do-it-Yourself  Carpets and Rugs by Sue Hawkins.  

Step-by-step instructions for over 25 projects.  8.5x11" soft cover  First published in UK in 2003.  Copyright by Sue Hawkins 2003.ISBN 0 7153 1434 3 paperback.  Scale 1:12

Table of Contents: Introduction, Materials and Equipment, Basic Techniques, Making up Carpets and Rugs.  Project: Regency Rose Carpet, Victorian Squares, Bordered Velvet Carpet, Arts and Crafts Cross Stitch Rug, Bedside Rb, Peking Rug, Florentine Mat, Greek-style Georgian Rub, Caucasian Kelim, Lattice Rose Stair Carpet, Victorian Posy and Trellis Rug, Clarice Cliff Mat, Persian Prayer Mat, Sunflower Rag Rug, Laceby Tiles, Chinese Dragon Rug, Embroidered Felt Numnah, Art Deco Rug.  Enging with Supplies, Acknowledgments, About the author and index.  Full color.

• Like 1