Dollhouse Book Reviews

The Complete Dollhouse Building Book by Kathryn Falk and Edlecoe Griek, 1982, is a book I picked up at a thrift store this past week. It had an intersting Italianate house on the cover, so I picked it up without looking it over thoroughly.

It has plans for six houses: Italianate, Tudor, Colonial, Cape Cod, Victorianesque, and an East Side Townhouse. The plans struck me as inadequate, giving dimensions but instructing to add 2", presumably for exterior walls. One house was described as being over 200 pounds.

Perhaps an experienced scratch builder would find the book useful, and perhaps the plans could be adapted for a lighter wood. Some of the floor plans are interesting. The Cape Cod house was published in an issue of the McCalls craft magazine, and I believe more complete plans were published in a book of McCalls dollhouses, published in the 80's (sorry, I don't have the name at my fingertips).

Hi

There's a book called Magnificent Miniatures: Inspiration and Technique for Grand Houses on a Small Scale by Mulvany and Rogers.

They do some incredible work. The book details some of their projects and gives a real insight into their talents.

The photos look like real life interiors and the only tell tale sign that their not full size is the fact that they put in small items such as an egg into the setting. It's a real feast for the eyes!

I just picked this up from the library. Wowsers! Completely amazing!!!!

Victorian Interior Decoration, American Interiors 1830-1900 by Gail Gaskey and Roger W. Moss, 1986. This isn't a miniature book, but I've found it to be the most scholarly book on Victorian interior decoration, and I've quoted frequently from it in answer to related to the subject. It addresses decoration in terms of blocks of time, following the ebb and flow of trends. The curtains, valances, portiere, and lambrequins are something I'd love to recreate. There are even some diagrams on how to do some of the ornate curtain styles. I found it at a thrift store, and it's one book I would not be without.

There is a companion book on exterior decoration, which I didn't realize was related when I was reading it, and it mentioned the interior book. I ran to the library to find it, because the exterior one was so goo, and was chagrined to find it was the same one I already had. The exterior design book follows the same format, gives color palettes authentic to the time (not the contemporary painted ladies, most were not so bold) and talks extensively about any topic, including things like shutter, porch ceiling color, porch floor color, etc.. It's worth hunting down if you want authenticity.

Oops! It duplicated, so I'll add another.

The Making of Furniture in Miniature by Harry W. Smith has detailed instructions to make extremely authentic furniture, from Jacobean to Victorian, at varying degrees of difficulties. It uses proper cabinetry techniques. The projects are exquisite, but I'm rather intimidated by the difficulty, so I haven't tried it yet. If you are interested in learning the finer points of furniture making, then this book would be for you.

• 3 weeks later...

I just bought a book from amazon.com featuring the Thorne rooms displayed at the Art Institute of Chicago. The book is fabulous and includes great pictures that are large enough to see every detail and includes a description of the room and period. I love the American rooms which take up the second half of the book. I LOVE carved woodworking and can only dream of being able to create something like that. My favorite room is the New England Bedroom, beautiful. Anyway, just wanted to share. If any of you are like me you will enjoy studying all of the little details :ohyeah: This book is well worth the money .

I bought that book after visiting the thorne rooms at the art institute in Chicago. It is amazing isn't it? I read it cover to cover on the train ride back home to Kansas. Always good for an inspirational pick me up. Kinda changed this hobby for me..........took it to a whole different level, if you know what i mean.

• 2 weeks later...

Casey mentioned a book on her blog - Art Fibre Weaving by Grand Rapids Fibre Cord Company published in 1925. I borrowed a copy through interlibrary loan, though the one I received was published in 1927. The history of the book itself was interesting. It still has its original date due slip, which notes that a 2¢ per day fine will be levied against the delinquent borrower; the first checkout stamp precedes a note of a 4¢ fine. Tsk tsk. :angry: I found it especially interesting that the last time it had been checked out was in 1974. I liked the book so much I've been searching for a copy to buy.

post-4679-1267298385_thumb.jpg

• 2 months later...

hello everyone

the book i will review is the A REFERENCE GUIDE

TO

MINIATURE MAKERS MARKS 1996

BY Alice and Lee Frank

the pros of this book is that it has so many wonderful miniature artist from around the world! it show the labels and names of each piece that is made by the artist. i have found so many of my pieces and i had no ideal that were in the book, i found out about sonia messer from this book, what years her pieces were made i found my baby in this book she was made by Audrey Henry the doll is signed! this is such a delight and it is soemthing every miniature artist and owner must have , looking for pieces was so much fun and when i did find them i scream oh yes i am a joyful person so i do not keep it to myself, in this the Nob hill house i found many pieces in this book i would not be able to know who , or when it was made !!!!!! the joy is overwhelming. when i bought this book it was used well if this is used i wonder what in the world new is ? it was such good condition i was so shock well lol i mark it up and mark pages where i found things , i hope to one day be in this book i am a miniature painter of flowers my camrea is not the best to take pcitures that small so i must wait to place them on here for all to see the book is wonderful !!!

cons

the only thing that i can see is wrong is that it has no pcitures of signatures it has all of the marks but no pcitures to help guide someone who made be looking for an item.

all in all it is one of the greats in reading and cataloging you miniatures

that is my review of this wonderful book , a must for all dollhouse and miniature collectors

:blink:

hugs jane

• 8 months later...

Ooo, I just saw this post again...I also have the Thorne Room book...a Christmas present from my sister..but it has a wealth of pictures.Anything of Brian Long or Sue Heaser is worth getting too. :flowers:

Hey Jo!!!

If you want a copy of Making Miniature Gardens by Freida Gray, i have an extra copy and it is a lovely book.

PM me and let me know.

If anyone else is interested please PM

Dot

Holly mentioned:

The Miniature Costumier: Removable Clothing for Dolls' House People by Catriona Hall

Wonderful book. Some of the instructions needed to be read a couple of times (sometimes I can be dense!) but once I got the idea, the clothes are great. You can tell by the way she designs her patterns (mainly to eliminate seam bulk) she has a solid background in tailoring/dressmaking. She even explains how to make bound working buttonholes for the little people's clothes! My eyes just glazed over that!

:lol:

• 2 weeks later...

Dollhouses, Miniature kitchens and shops from the Abby Aldrich Rockefeller Folk Art Center

I have quite some books so i will keep it brief:

A variety of dollhouse kitchens and shops, from the 1800s-1900s are described.

i like the photos in the book for inspiration, i dislike the fact that the book has only 86 pages

Het hollands pronkpoppenhuis

Author: Jet Pijzel

447 pages.

about the historic Dutch dollhouses, a heavy book with lots of pictures, from rooms, household items dolls,you name it. Absolutely a must have for anyone who is interested in Dutch canal dollhouses in the 17th and 18th century.

my dollhouse bible and my absolute favourite in dollhousebooks.

I like this book so much because it has a lot of pictures and it also mentiones the seize of objects.

further i learned a lot about the way people lived back then, and what purpose certain objects had, objects we do not use anymore nowadays.

Mrs. Pijzel did a very thourough investigation on the dollhouses.

i cannot think of 1 thing to say against this book.

Klassiek poppenhuis (translated: classic dollhouse)

Author: Henny Staring-Egberts

out of print.

complete how-to to make your own classic dollhouse and furnish it.

building and furnishing a dollhouse in a very easy way.

i like this book because it shows that anyone can make a very nice dollhouse with little expences.

everything is explained in a very understandable way.

Miniature Rooms -The Thorn Rooms

lots of pictures of beautiful rooms.

i wont go into this book, it is mentioned in the replys earlier.

Queen Mary's Dollshouse

Author: Mary Stewart-Wilson

really beautiful book about Queen Mary's dollhouse. Real working miniatures, water from a faucet, books written especially for this dollhouse by renowned authors, art made by artists of that time, etc. even the smallest items really work as in rl.

a musthave.

i mean, if anything is eyecandy, this is.

Magnificent Miniatures by Mulvaney & Rogers.

pictures of their beautiful work and some howto's.

this book is mentioned earlier in this topic.

The Miniature House

Author: Faith Eaton

158 pages.

about dollhouses from the 17th century until the 19th century.

pictures of rooms and description.

colleen moore's castle and museum dollhouses.

Poppenhuizen verzamelgids (translated: Dollhouse collector guide)

Author: Valerie Jackson-Douet

78 pages.

a look into dollhouses from about 1600 till about 1900.

The Secret of The Dollshouse Makers

Author: Gene Nisbett

179 pages.

In this book the reader is introduced to various artisans, f.i. Barry Hipwell, David Booth, Reg Miller and others. Briefly described is their dollhouse carreer, pictures of outstanding work.

The Dollshouse Sourcebook

Author: Carolyn Clifton-Mogg

203 pages.

in this book the author writes about the history of miniature interiors, of period decorative styles, and all the rooms in the house are described.

lots of pictures.

i like this book because it really reads like a book, not as a guide.

Miniature Embroiderie for the Georgian Dollshouse

Author: Pamela Warner

I have to get used to this book, in a way.

the patterns do not speak to me as much as Anelle Fergusons, i think some patterns look vague.

Maybe i will learn to appreciate it in a while, though.

Traditional Needlework in Miniature

Author: Anelle Ferguson

embroiderybook with tips, fotoos and 54 patterns from 16th century English to 19th century American.

i like this book very much because the embroidered patterns come out very clear, for me an indication that these patterns are good. I also like the fact that it covers such a long period in time.

what i did not like: the book should be twice as thick filled with patterns :lol:

As you can see for yourselves, i like eyecandy.

what i have been missing are books that explain how to make stuff.

So last night I decided to do something about that and bought the book Making miniature furniture by John Davenport.

Out of print.

It can take up to 13 weeks until delivery so i cant give a review yet.

But from what i have heard about this book it is supposed to be a great beginners guide on how to make miniature furniture, which tools to use and how to use them.

Oops, almost forgot:

Le grand livre de la maison miniature

Author: Christine Lea Frisoni.

191 pages.

this book was a hype in Holland last summer.

Lea Frisoni describes in detail how to make a shabby chic dollhouse and the same style interior.

lots of pictures and how to's.

i like this book because it shows how to get great effect with little effort.

i also have some books about the dollhouses in museums in Holland but i didn't think you would miss those.

Gerda, one of our members stitched the Aubusson carpet from Pamela Warner's book and made matching chair seats; I had already begun to stitch the same carpet in almost the same colors and went on to do my chair seats, too (mine is in 1:24 scale):

gallery_8_34_262921.jpg

These are not dollhouse books, but valuable books for getting ideas for period houses, or houses in general. The books have lots of color pictures and lots of historical background. The books are interesting reading even if you are not building a dollhouse.

Georgian House Style by Ingrid Cranfield

Art Deco House Style by Ingrid Cranfield

Edwardian House Style by Hilary Hockman

These are British books published by David and Charles, and are probably out of print. I think they are worth finding.

:kicking:

thats beautiful work Holly! must have taken a lot of time to make that.

but in my house i think i would rather see more outspoken colours, or darker, don't know yet.

i just don't get the feeling when i see warners' embroidery.

that does not mean i can not appreciate it in someone elses house, its just not for me i guess.

or, well, maybe i will grow into it.

i'm not that experienced yet so who can tell.

hope you -and others- did not take my comment as an insult, it absolutely was not intended in that way.

Gee I don't think anyone could take what you said as an insult! I have that book as well and I love it but everyone has their own taste in style. That's a good thing or life would be very boring. :kicking:

• 2 weeks later...

I've been looking at this book and it was chosen as the About.com Reader's Choice Award winner this year. Was wondering if anyone has it and what they think of it if they do. It's expensive to order into the US but I have been considering splurging on it for the past few months now. I realize it's in french :wave: but that'll just put my 4 years of high school french class to the test LOL or at least Bable fish will get a good work out. Any opinions will be appreciated. Thanks!

I have it, i dont speek french or read it. I have been using google translate it i really want to understand something. It's a good book, she explains well how she maid here houses.

what questions do you have??

Jenn

I was wondering if there are a lot of tutorials. I read that it gives the instructions to build a house, electrify it and furnish it was just wondering if it does all of that. Are the projects really hard? Guess I just want an over all feel for it. If you like it and why etc. Trying to rationalize spending so much on a book I guess LOL

edit: oh and have you made anything from it, do you have any pictures?

i have the book and i dont read or speak frech either, exept from a sentence or two.

in the book she explaines how to make a french interior and exterior from cardstock and bits of wood.

there are quite a few tutorials.

did not use the book yet, but probably do so in the future, making my own adjustments.

the book was a hype here in Holand last summer.

and the best thing is, you dont need to read or speak french, the pictures tell it all.

the projects are from supereasy to pretty easy with maximum result

Thanks Gee. I've been looking at this book off and on for months and I finally found a place to get it from that won't cost me as much as a dollhouse kit LOL. I've seen some of her tutorials on her blog and in magazines and I love the look. If you do anything from it please post pictures I'd love to see some of what is offered in the book.