Dollhouse Book Reviews

ABCs of Dollhouse Finishing by Barbara Warner -- I checked this book out from the library when I first started in this hobby back in August 2009. I thought it was a wealth of information, lots of examples and techniques. I never did buy it for my own home library, though I don't buy a whole lot of books in general. I use the library system a lot! :lol: I think it's a wonderful book for someone starting out. :yes:

• Like 1

The Decorated Dollhouse by Jessica Ridley was the first dollhouse book I had, originally published in 1997. I'm not disagreeing with Karin on any points, but I will say the internet was not what it is now at that point. Today, there is no way that would be published, the one liner tips and tricks are easily accessible to a new miniaturist online, usually accompanied by detailed photos and step by step instructions. Her family name probably didn't hurt for getting published either.

It's probably still a nice book for a newcomer, but certainly not for a veteran like Karin ;) I bought about a year ago through goodwill for under $5, mostly for nostalgia reasons and to add to my dh book collection (I realize half the reason I like it is due to the nostalgia factor on my part). It does have couple of very pretty rooms to look at.

I bought my copy about a year ago also, and payed right around that price. I do think its worth picking up if you can get it for under $5 especially....just not for the chandelier lol .

• Like 1

I have discovered the joy of second-hand books on Amazon. After building 3 dollhouse kits (two for fundraisers), I have decided to try to take on building furniture and accessories, so I have been doing some research and building up a little library of books. I know I can get much of the same information on-line, but I like to have a book on hand to pick up and read for inspiration.

I think having loan trades or exchanges is a great idea. I would be happy to share my books with forum members. What about a 'Loan/Exchange' section of the forum where members can post the books they have on hand that they are willing to share?

• Like 1

Would probably b required to use the community trading section.

I'm interested in the book Dollhouse Style, but I haven't gone through my books yet to see what options I would give for a trade.

Chris, I'm also building a library...for a few years I've been buying all the .01 cent dh books on amazon I can :)

• Like 1

Does anyone know the difference in the original and the updated versions of ABCs of Dollhouse Finishng (Barbara Warner)?

The original book is less expensive than the updated version - just wonder how much information was added to the later version.

Thanks

Renea

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks Holly, did you like them? Our Pam is very kindly sending me her copy of Daughters of Painted Ladies...that picture on the cover has major wow factor. I ordered another called In the Victorian Style.

I received my copy of Painted Ladies Revisited and just want to highly recommend for anyone doing this type of painted lady Victorian. Its a big book, lots of big full page pictures and info, Ive gotten soooo much inspiration and ideas from it. Ive also learned a deal about the saga of the old Victorians in SF and what they've survived. It was published in the 80s so in that sense its a little dated with the color schemes but there is still plenty of eye candy :)

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

So happy...an affordable copy of Joann Swansons "Grannys Kitchen" showed up on amazon yesterday, can't wait to see it...it pays to keep an eye on the books that you want, even if the current prices are outrageous :)

• Like 1

Has anyone read or tried anything from the Angie Scarr miniature food books? There is another one that is available for preorder through Chapters online and I was wondering if it would be worth preordering? Any thoughts would be extremely helpful. TIA!

Well, afraid I have to disagree a bit on this one. If you've never done anything with clay in regard to making food then this is a good book with which to start. But if you're past the basics then your money would be better spent on something else. I was hoping, after reading reviews here, to get something that would give me some insight into more advanced projects, this is not the book for that. Everything that's in this book can be found online for free on sites like Garden of Imagination on You Tube. As a matter of fact you can watch step-by-step instructions for projects that are more difficult than anything found in this book there as well.

I only spent $5.95 for the book (which normally would be a great price for any book) but have to say - this was not money well spent. I should have done more research, saved the money and purchased something that promised a higher degree of difficulty, like a nice book on needlecraft (which I'll be needing soon.) Definitely a beginers book.

• 1 month later...

1.) I love the "Dollhouse To Dream House books" by Dennis Waldron and Sandy Thomas. Each booklet shows building and bashing ideas for different Greenleaf kits. They have great pictures and diagrams and easy to follow instructions. The only drawback to me is that I've heard that there is a third booklet that I've never found.

2.) "Making Dollhouse Miniatures With Polymer Clay" by Sue Heaser. This book has great instructions for making all sorts of minis. The instructions are easy to follow and has great pictures. I can't think of anything negative on this book.

3.) "Making Furniture and Accessories" by Helen Ruthberg. If you like making things yourself, this book is for you. Lots of ideas for making things from stuff around the house. This is an older book so some of the things that they used are not available anymore, but I think the ideas are very adaptable for today.

4.) "Meyer's Florist Shoppe" and "Meyer's Homemade Meals" By Barbara Meyer. These are two seperate booklets. They have great pics and instructions. They both use a bread dough (recipe is in booklet) but I think you could easily use polmer clay instead.

5.) "The Complete Book of Making Miniatures" by Thelma R. Newman and Virginia Merrill. I got this book because it was recommended. It does have great pictures in it to get inspiration from, but I am far from an advanced miniaturist, and I think that is who this book is geared toward. There are a few ideas in it that I can use, but I would recommend "Making Furniture and Accessories" by Helen Ruthberg if you are an average type of miniaturist like me.

Thanks for sharing such a good collection. I will purchase these books. Thanks for that.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hmmm.....What a great topic!

I collect books for the inspiration factor more than anything, so my ratings are not based on instructional content!

Unfortunately, I just have not tracked down many dollhouse books as of yet. This thread will definitely help!

Here is kind of an oddball that has yet to be mentioned:

A Family Dollhouse : An Introduction To Crafts In Miniature

219 pages

by Sara B. Stein

Viking

This book has instructions for 37 introductory crafts in different materials ( rag dolls, metal pots, ceramic clawfoot tub, macrame ) and features black and white photos with color pics in the middle. Very colorfully written, and I would say, mostly entertaining just to read her amusing introduction and directions.

The authors homemade dollhouse was very cute to me. I dont think its a particularly instructive book. More of a charming addition to your library. I love reading the authors complaints about having 4 male children! Hilarious! I have read it multiple times because it is funny, and reminds me of my first attempt at a dollhouse of my own.

I suppose I would give it a 3 since it isnt really going to teach you anything new.

• 3 months later...

I also just got Dollhouses in America by Flora Gill Jacobs: http://www.amazon.com/Dolls-houses-America-preservation-miniature/dp/0684135833/ref=sr_1_12?ie=UTF8&qid=1390010399&sr=8-12&keywords=Flora+gill+Jacobs

There are many black and white yet wonderful photos of old houses. I like the dollhouse history books better than the tutorial ones. :)

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I highly recommend DOLLS HOUSE NEEDLECRAFTS by Venus A. Dodge. It's packed full of great ideas, and gives clear and easy to follow instructions on making rugs, furniture, doll's clothes and even dolls! As well as miniatures of all kinds. The templates are great, the instructions very good; all in all a useful addition to the miniaturist's library.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Today I browsed in Kinokuniya Bookworld, the BIGGEST bookstore in Dubai :drool:In the architecture section, I discovered a gorgeous book called The Peranakan Chinese Home (Art and Culture in Daily Life) by Ronald G Knapp. Here's a link:

http://www.amazon.com/The-Peranakan-Chinese-Home-Culture/dp/080484142X/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1394892660&sr=8-1&keywords=the+peranakan+chinese+home

This book covers a generic group of Asian people who settled in today's Singapore, Malaysia, Indonesia and Thailand, also influenced by Western architecture in the 1800s and 1900s. The Contents read as follows:

* House Forms and Facades

* Symbols and Iconography

* The Reception Hall

* The Courtyard

* The Ancestral Hall

* The Living Areas

* The Bedroom

* The Kitchen

If you go to the link on Amazon, you can look inside the book to get an idea of the eye candy on offer. Every single page is about half text/half colour photos, definitely worth the price. A lot of the house styles could easily be adapted from GL kits. For example, on p18 of the preview, there is a row of townhouses with delightful facades in pastel colours!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I've gotten several used books from Amazon recently, one is The Miniature Costumier Removeable Clothing for Dollhouse People by Catriona Hall. Full size patterns and lots of good information. And the other has been mentioned before but is an awesome book by Jane Harrop - Thirties & Forties Miniatures in 1:12 scale .

• Like 3