Dollhouse Book Reviews

Thank you for the great references! I just requested from the library 3 of the books mentioned above.

Last weekend I picked up McCall's Big Book of Dollhouses and Miniatures. They have detailed templates for a few houses. The Victorian template is quite elaborate (in my opinion). They lost me with some of the more childish, felt projects, but I guess you could say there was something for everyone.

Cristin, Patricia King's books are wonderful starter books for making your own furniture and accessories from found items, because you can achieve some wonderfully detailed items that way.

Tiny plastic sample medication bottles and the really small plastic fillable eggs make nice commode stool parts, and I have used seashells and barnacle casings to make bathroom fixtures:

gallery_8_305_93531.jpg

I have also sculpted commode stool bases out of white polymer clay> For the McKinley, the lavatory is a seashell basin set onto a barnacle base. The commode is a stylized sculpted dolphin base with a plastic egg half bowl, and the bathtub is a large clamshell set on a sculpted polymer clay base (the hotwater geyser is a plastic cigar tube with cutout bits of paper lace doily painted silvery).

• Like 1

A book I was REALLY disappointed with is "Dollhouse Accessories; How to Design and Make Them" by Margaret Duda. Of course I should've known since it was published in the 70s, but still. One of the projects in the book was to make a log pile... cut a bunch of sticks to fit your fireplace and glue them together so they don't roll around. Find a plastic squirrel to glue on top and "dress up" (actual wording) your log pile. You can also "add a plastic ax from one of the toy gumball machines". Great book with lots of projects for young kids... for miniaturists, not so much.

Helen Ruthberg was published in the late 1960s or 1970s (my copies are all out back in the shop and I'm in the front of the house) and her accessories are a lot nicer. So are Patricia King's and Andrea Barham's.

• 1 month later...

Just spreading the news in case you hadn't heard. Christine-Lea Frisoni's fabulous ( but previously only published in French) book Le Grand Livre De La Maison Miniature is now available for pre order on amazon (reasonably priced) and now published in English! I was so happy when I heard this news. Will be released the first week of January 2015.

• Like 4

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Okay, so I've been going through this list and I've ended up ordering 8 books through Amazon - most of which were under $5 - but of course with Shipping to NZ it works out just under $10 each. Now I'm looking at the Christine-Lea Frisoni book. On the book depository site - www.bookdepository.com it states that it is due 6 January 2015 and will ship to NZ for NZ$45.26. However on a NZ website - www.fishpond.co.nz it states it was published in 2014 August and will ship for $49.99 for Christmas! Hmm....strange.....

• 2 weeks later...

I read a good review online of Miniatures en pate polymere (Miniatures in polymer clay... So is duck pate duck clay?) by Peiwen Petitgrand. The review said that though the book is in French the photos are good enuff to enable one to easily make the mini food. So, I bought it.

I am a noob to Fimo-like clays and mini food. I think that I would need the verbaige in addition to the photos. But, her talent is awesome and the food so realistic I just had to have the book to give it a try w/o explinations of what's going on.

I am really pleased with the book. Since making food is subjective I should be able to handle working from just photos. I'm going to tove it the old college try anyway!

• 4 weeks later...

Very gently disassemble them and use the old upholstery pieces as patterns to cut new pieces. You want a book? Janet Storey's Making Upholstered Furniture in 1/12 Scale is nice, I scaled down her Knowle's settee and made it in 1:24 for the Fairfields.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

This is an update to an earlier post. I received Christine Lea Frisoni's book last week and can say it is definitely A+++ The whole book is a treasure, wonderfully photographed and her directions are very straightforward. A wonderful addition to any mini library. I also recently got a book by Derek Rowbottom, Miniature Dolls' Houses in 1/24th scale. Splendid resource with lots of photos and templates. Finally,a needlework project book by Pamela Warner called Miniature Embroidery for the 20th Century Dolls' House. Lots of great charts and project ideas; it is one in a series of several books she did. I have Miniature Embroidery for the Georgian Dolls' House ordered so I will leave another review when it gets here.

• Like 1

• 7 months later...

Just wanted to ask about the book by Sheila Smith, "Making 1/12 scale Wicker Furniture for the dolls' house" as I am trying to plan ahead this time for while we travel next year in February.

hugs

Anna, I used her book to make the dining table and chairs for Maggie:

gallery_8_988_162290.jpg

and then I moved it into the kitchen:

gallery_8_988_239687.jpg

Looks great Holly! Have emailed a seller on Amazon/UK to see if I can purchase it.

Hugs

• 3 months later...

I came across a book entitled "In Praise of Dollhouses: The Story of a Personal Collection" - by Catherine Callicott from the 1970s.

Mrs. Callicott had a huge collection - a mixture of antique houses from the 1800s - early 1900s, and houses she had built from plans. The book has lots of photos of lots of houses -though I wish there were more.

What struck me was she obviously had a lot of resources and money, but her collection is like anyone elses would be...she seemed to discover houses and just had to bring them home.

All houses appear to sit together in a big dollhouse room.

I liked this book because I have a lot of books where I am in awe of people's insane skills and attention to details...but Mrs. Callicott (who had ample resource$ and a yen for older houses) seems to just have the mini-bug. 

I recognize some furniture pieces, and some chrysnbon, mixed into some of her houses - and then she has some Schoenhut and Bliss houses...and Tynie Toys...it's so much fun. Her collection is huge and varied.

She died in 1981. The book is a wonderful look at her collection.

• 1 month later...

I've recently been on a book buying binge myself, both for DIY books as well as some collection books.  I've read The White House in Miniature, America's Dollhouse,  as well as Patricia King's Making Victorian Furniture, Lots of Little Loos, and Making Stoves and Fireplaces (still waiting for it to arrive) .  I have also been reading a blog that has me fascinated http://dollhouseescapes.blogspot.com/ .  This lady has blogged her miniature journey with hundreds of posts over last four years. I spent my snow day reading all of them.