Dollhouse Book Reviews

I go through spurts of buying mini books, and re-checking others out of the library to read.  This is what I've been reading most recently:  I've ordered all three Dollhouses to Dreamhouses, and have received books 2 and 3 so far, which have been interesting, but I'm not sure when/if I'll be able to try the modifications they demonstrate.  I also ordered The Secrets of the Dolls' House Makers by Jean Nisbett.  I ordered a copy from my phone, and I wish I had taken the time to read ALL of the reviews of this book.  I thought it was going to have methods and techniques, but it didn't.  Oh well, it is still an interesting book, it just isn't what I thought it would be.

Our county library system has a pitiful selection of miniature books, but I have all three of them checked out now - The Big Book of the Dolls' House and A Beginners Guide to the Doll's House Hobby, both by Jean Nisbett, and Making Miniatures: Projects for the 1:12 scale Dolls' House by Christiane Berridge.  I enjoy reading these books, but I won't buy them for myself, I hope that by continuing to check them out, the acquisition librarian will decide to purchase some more titles.

• Like 2

On 5/24/2017, 12:01:15, vbharrington said:

Alleged Hoarder: Miniatures and Dollhouses. Completed - Artply Rutherford  In Progress - Greenleaf Travel Trailer, Duracraft Farmhouse (rehab), RGT Harborside (Rehab), San Franciscan 550 (Rehab), Fisher Price Loving Family conversion to haunted house, RGT Newport  In the Box - RGT Beachside Bungalow, Greenleaf Beacon Hill, Greenleaf Buttercup, Duracraft San Franciscan 557

I just wanted to tell you that this signature made my day. Your alleged, but not convicted.:eek:.

• Like 2

• 9 months later...
15 minutes ago, Elsbeth said:

This one was worth every penny:

The Big Book of of a Miniature House by Christine Lea Frisoni

91DQb%2BJwQ%2BL.jpg

https://www.amazon.com/Big-Book-Miniature-House-decorate/dp/1861089546/

$18 for used with free ship:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/THE-BIG-BOOK-OF-A-MINIATURE-HOUSE-Christine-Lea-Frisoni/282865015116

I picked up this book with the 40% off coupon at Hobby Lobby. I love it. :D 

32 minutes ago, Samusa said:

I picked up this book with the 40% off coupon at Hobby Lobby. I love it. :D 

Love love love this book it’s the first miniature thing I bought. Thinking I could just make it. I love the book but freaked out and bought my first kit instead. My goal is still to make that house and everything in it. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, NellBell said:

Love love love this book it’s the first miniature thing I bought. Thinking I could just make it. I love the book but freaked out and bought my first kit instead. My goal is still to make that house and everything in it. 

A German lady did just that:  http://ritasminis.blogspot.com/p/mein-lea-haus.html

• Like 1

8 hours ago, NellBell said:

Frisoni discusses how one of her houses was made of a kit that she refurb'd and filled with easily found kit furniture that she painted, but is only mentioned in the back in the house gallery. I am building a version of this house in 1:48. I love all the photos and the house gallery. It's just a marvelous focused project book. I would love it if she published the kit house/kit furniture project.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, havanaholly said:

3 hours ago, havanaholly said:

I’ll have to keep this link I just felt I dint have the proper tools to do it justice. I’m getting there though. 

I still need a proper sander and a table saw of some sort. I think I saved  the name of the little dander that was posted last week  now I forgot it though. I want to purchase it this weekend 

• 1 year later...

From my public library, I checked out Dian Zillner's "Furnished Dollhouses from the 1880s to 1980s" and I LOVED it. I love how many photos and historical houses she shows off in the book. Had a lot of color photos and when my time was up I tried to renew it but there were 2 people waiting for it. SO...since I couldn't really bear to be without my new favorite book I went online and found a used copy. That says a lot. If you feel like seeing Bliss, Schoenhut, Haacker and many other old houses plus revisiting the 70s and 80s (Lundby, Smaller Homes and Gardens, etc) then this is awesome. Text is nice and helpful but it was the photos that got me.  It's  a large book too. Photos in the book I had not seen elsewhere online.

love love love

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/634973.Furnished_Dollhouses_1880s_1980s

• 1 year later...

I hope I’m asking in the right spot. Just found this forum. I’m trying to find 2 books about building and furnishing your own dollhouse that I used to check out of the library in the 70’s. I believe they were from the same guy. One was about his childhood home that was built around the turn of the century. The other was about building a house from the 1700’s using cardboard. In both these books he tells how to build and furnish them. I have tried to find on internet but no luck. Thanks in advance for any help. 

Unfortunately I cannot remember the authors name. I keep thinking it was a guy but that was almost 50 years ago. I just remembered the books were full of pictures and how-to descriptions. I remember cutting out fireplaces from cardboard by instructions on 1700s home. 

4 hours ago, MaryKate said:

The first one sounds a little like The Remember When Dollhouse, by Phyllis Jellison, but if the book you remember was written by a man, that's probably not it. 

I looked this book up and also the author. That is the book I was looking for. She also wrote the colonial dollhouse made from cardboard. Funny how the years make you think the author was a man. Thanks very much. I’ll have to get both of them. Brings back a lot of memories of going to the library with my mom. 

I'm glad I could help, William. I spent years tracking down a library book my father and I used to make my sister's dollhouse, which had come from the library and then sometime after we returned it, left the shelves forever. Finally found it a few years ago. Enjoy your books!

• 5 months later...

I'm so happy, I was finally able to buy "The big book of a miniature house" from a private seller, because now this book is almost unobtainable at a reasonable price in French. 
I've read a lot of good things about this book, it's going to be Christmas before it's time when I get it.

• Like 1

On 11/22/2020 at 2:10 AM, Elly said:

I'm so happy, I was finally able to buy "The big book of a miniature house" from a private seller, because now this book is almost unobtainable at a reasonable price in French. 
I've read a lot of good things about this book, it's going to be Christmas before it's time when I get it.

It is such a great book - the eye candy and the instructions are so interesting to me - awesome present!!!! Hurray!!

• Like 1