John and Kate

chattycathy66

Hope this isn't a duplicate topic...havent seen it in awhile.

I guess I was just wondering what everyone thinks of this whole John and Kate thing now....I"m not a huge fan--my kids loved the show, so I"d watch it every so often. I know most people have thought pretty negatively of them the last time we talked about it...I did too...but I almost feel sorry for Kate now...I know she's a control freak and kind of narcissitic now,but after listening to John last night--I think he's a big part of the problem too. He doesn't seem like the most motivated person, and maybe Kate had to be the "strong" one, she just went overboard.

Mostly I feel sorry for the kids--that #1, there so much of their lives have been played out on screen...even if it's been done for their "financial security" and they bought that 1.1 million dollar house for "them" (as John said it last nite). I was just kind of "upset" with John last nite for the way he kept talking about how this divorce(although they called it a separation) was an exciting time in his life--and basically I thought he acted just too happy at times --maybe to get away from Kate,lol. I guess I think it was just in poor taste that he let himself be photographed with those girls--he just wasn't very discreet...and I think that was very disrespectful to all his family. Seems very passive-aggressive to me.

I don't know why this whole situation makes me sad--I guess I am always sad when I hear of situations when people break up because they can't "get along"--do people really change that much or were they really that way before, and the "rose colored glasses" of being in love blinded them. I had a close cousin and his wife divorce for similar reasons, and it really made me sad.

I guess when 8 kids are involved, I think the parents have an obligation to try everything and really work to make it work. Maybe they did and we just don't know it.

Of course, I know there's so much we really dont know....I just think it's all a shame :giggle:

i feel bad for the kids most of all bc they are still going to do the show I think they just need to stop and be done with it let the kids have normal lives that they can and go your seprate ways if you want too if you want to work it out dont do it in the public eye. The poor kids have been thru enough with all of this and now they are going to drag thru more I used to like the show when it first started but when the trips and new cars and million dollar house came into the picture they were real to me anymore :giggle:

You do not want my opinion because it will include some bad words. But that can tell you what I feel about it. I had to walk away from all the talk about this dastardly duo because I was getting a headache over it.

There is alot more then you know.

Let us all be civil on this subject though. There are two strong sides on this subject (i have been in the trenches) and Greenleaf is my safey safe place away from that! LOL

You are right Heidi, I'm sure there's much more than we know....

Hope I wasn't being uncivil-wasn't trying to be, because I know there must be many strong opinions and I totally respect that--I like to hear what other people have to say about it because it opens my ways of thinking :giggle:

I think I've only talked about it with my mom, and she feels pretty much the same way I do, so we were pretty much in the same trench;) Without starting a big thing, have you heard many people that feel really positively about them? Just wondering. The only thing I kind of disagree with my mom is about Kate's manicures and tanning and how she's changed so much--it just reminded me of girls I work with that become nurses and now have a huge increase in income--they tend to change their hair, wardrobes, cars, houses, etc---but then I realized it's not the same thing--when people get a new position, or new job, new title, whatever, it's their hard work that earned them that money to do those things....of course, there's always the thought that Kate worked hard--carrying 6 babies! Yikes! Taking care of 8 kids--that's hard too...but then I thought, that's her job, she did the invitro, knowing what could happen...See, it must be the libra side of me, playing "devils advocate" and see-sawing back and forth amongst opinions, lol.

LIke I said, for some reason, this whole drama has made me kind of sad and I have no idea why since I don't know them, have no 'stake" in anything they do....and I guess that's why I brought it up...maybe the topic of reality shows and how they distract the American public is a better topic,lol And, did you see those "Crooked Houses" (playhouses) --weren't those cute! I bet they cost a fortune!

The show should be taken off the air PERIOD!!!!

Why anyone really watches these type shows is beyond me anyway. Why would you let someone come into your home and see this stuff.

I have no use for either of them.

Cathy, I think people begin to feel they "know" people from these reality shows because they see them all of the time in what is supposed to be "real life settings". I am not a fan of the reality shows. I watched Jo Millionaire all those years ago cause the guy looked gorgeous and I wanted to see how things played out after the women found out that the guy was NOT a Millionaire and made under $20,000 a year as a construction worker. After that show ended, I must say it left a bad taste in my mouth because honesty is so important to me and then I know people act different when a camera is on them. How can you truly "know" a person when a camera is on them. I bet some people loose themselves in all of the camera drama issues too.

I feel sorry for Jon & Kate & their kids as I feel they did what they thought was best for their family (at the time) and as parents we have all probably made a not so smart decision at least once. It's just that the world don't get to see it and strangers don't get to edit things to create a big audience and change the context of things. I have not watched the shows but have friends who talk about them as if this was a family living in their neighborhood or something LOL. It took me a while to figure out that this was not a neighbor of theirs :giggle:

I have to admit I know nothing about Jon & Kate and I think I am better off not knowing. I'm not sure why people would want to live their lives for the whole world to see.

I'm with Rita.

I never was a fan of the show, until all this hype started I'd never even hear of them. I personally think they should end the show, but they can't from what I've read lately. The show has become their "JOB". TLC sends Kate around to do promos, pays them both salarys,and most of their living expences. Jon hasn't had a real job for several years,So how could he afford to support the kids in the lifestyle they have become accustomed to? Most of the trips and vacations are either paid by TLC or the resorts they go to, as an advertising write-off. I read that TLC is looking for an apartment for Jon that will be "camera" friendly, so I guess they are paying for that also. Pennsylvania is looking into whether the kids have been exploited under the child labor laws.

Seems like TLC is the only one who benefits from this whole situation with large ratings and advertising money.

This is just my opinion, and I don't mean to take sides or upset anyone with it, but I don't see how this is reality TV. A divorce is hard enough for kids to go through, they don't need it to be headline news everyday.

Some people are absolutely rabid about this show and family. Cathy, you wanted to know and that is okay. Just letting you know that there are some extreme *EXTREME* opinions on the topic out on the web. Scary extreme.

I was wondering who the heck you all were talking about, so I googled.

I saw two episodes of that show a long time ago when I was desperate for something to watch. I have to say, from their interaction, their relationship didn't look like it was something that was going to last.

I feel bad for the poor kids, they were cute.

lol, Tracy, I watched Joe Millionaire too! That was pretty trashy, huh,lol.

Of course people have free will to do these things, but these networks really "dangle the carrot" so to speak and by the time people get a little nibble of it, they're hooked. It seems the more drama that can be created, the better. It's amazing how easily some people on these reality shows "sell out" on their lives and allow themselves to be expoited--but they are probably so happy at first......it's too bad. The funny thing is, up until a few months back, I refused to watch the show because it was just too "painful"--I think raising 3 kids is difficult,lol. My daughters think the kids are so cute, so I caught a couple episodes....

I was reading a little of the Comcast messageboards on the subject, and yup, there are lots of people with strong opinions...like I said before, I think reality TV has become something to distract the American public from the real issues out there....and they convince us that it's just giving us all something to talk about,lol.

I should stop now,lol, I don't want to emind myself of our local newspaper than prints the most ridiculous "letter to the editor" and then watch the flurry of controversy that arises. :hug:

Who are John and Kate?

Or do I really wanna know?

If you do not already know..you are lucky. Back away slowly and do not make any sudden moves. LOL

Same question as Doogster! If it's a t.v. show, I'm always at work when the good stuff comes on, and don't have time to watch on weekends. I can honestly say, I have not watched t.v. in 18 years!! With the exception of the dollhouse cake bake off, my DH hauled me up from the basement to see awhile back.

Jon and Kate are from a show called Jon and Kate plus 8. They have twins and sextuplets, hence the plus 8 part. They were supposed to be showing what it was like for normal people to raise 8 children. I have never watched the show, but from what I have read on the internet Jon and Kate announced on Monday nights show that they were seperating. Their entire life has basically been shown on TV. Same with the kids, their lives are in front of the camera. I have never heard anything good about the show or about the people on it except that the kids are cute.

Too many important things going on in RL-to watch useless stuff on TV.Lots of more serious stuff to send positive energy to.'nuff said......... :hug:

I hate those reality shows. Too real for old Wolfie. And think what they are doing to their kids thrusting them into the public eye with all the good and all the bad. Poor kids.

I hate reality show too. My own reality is more than I can deal with sometimes. These people and all the other reality show people are getting rich airing all their problems. I can't stand to watch it. I think I'm an understanding and compassionate person for real people in need but with people like this, WHO CARES?

Most "reality" shows are so far removed from reality they ought to be called UNreality shows!!

Until all this kerfluffle, I didn't really know much about either of these folks. And still don't. And I suspect that anyone who actually fervently watched this show doesn't really know much -- only what the network wants them to see and know. Like the "Octomom"...these folks ought to really get a life. Learn what it really means to raise 8 kids, without having someone else foot the bill, pay for the nannies, follow them around with a camera.

I watch a lot of news shows...other than those, not much else on TV. Oh yeah..the weather channel. :hug:

Ok, I confess, I occasionally find some of the reality shows "entertaining" ...mostly because it cracks me up to see how ridiculous some people are...I've been practically parked in my bed the past 2 weeks (since the family room is "destroyed" the only place I can get some peace and quiet is my room-lol) and some of those mindless shows are just what I need. ( too much of anything serious gives me an anxiety attack,lol) If you haven't seen "The Real Housewives of ..." you're truly missing out,lol j/k But like I said earlier..."vive la difference" (pardon my editing of the French phrase,lol ) I changed it to "hooray for the differences between tv watchers :violin:

The Real housewives are a laugh riot. Fred and I only like the NYC one. The others not so much. In fact, not at all. In the world of reality tv, the only shows I really like are Project Runway (come back!) and Top Chef.

All those other ones I could do without. I will take a nice science show or historical documentary, hands down, everytime.