5/3/06 What is the weirdest thing you have ever eaten?

Well, I was stting here at the computer eating 1 ding dong, 4oz of Pepsi and some salt and sour potatoe chips (well we don't have any crakers not that I would eat those with this unless we did not have chips :D) and sardines (NO I am NOT pregnant, I eat this all of the time together) Hubby won't come near me cause he hate the smell of sardines :lol: Sarah eats it with me while the rest of them look at me like I am froma different planet ( :lol: maybe I am )

What is the weirdest thing you have ever eaten and was it a one time deal or do you find yourself eating things others find "weird" B) :p

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have this weird thing about sweets

I cannot eat sweets unless I follow it up with salt.

one of my favorite treats is fununs and chocolate icecream

not that I get it very often because they all look at me weird,

I also like ketchup on my potato chips.

yanno chips in bowl ketchup all over them and crunched up mmmmmmmmmm

have ya tried the new ketchup potato chips/ really not as good but saves me from using a bowl....one less thing!

lol...of course when I buy those I enjoy dipping them into sour cream.

but its been awhile since I had any of those things....still seem to prefer a more bland diet for now

nutti :lol:

Better sit down and take a deep breath for this one, coz it's gonna get weird. Just remember..........you asked for it. :lol:

I can't eat pancakes without peanutbutter and maple syrup, and a big glass of cold milk on the side. If you've never had peanut butter on pancakes with maple syrup, trust me, it's delicious.

When I was younger and on a shoestring budget, potted meat was common in the cupboard. The problem is that I *hate* potted meat. The only way I would eat it was on sandwiches with bbq sauce and chopped onion.

I also used to eat a lot of bologna and don't care much for it either. Those sandwiches were made with miracle whip, chopped onions and slices of sweet pickles.

I'll make a batch of cheese sauce and sit down with a loaf of bread and sop it up right out of the pan.

One of my favorite things is to mix cashews into a bowl of m&m's and I'll snarl at anyone who gets one hand near them.

I like grilled cheese sandwiches dipped in Dorothy Lynch salad dressing. I'll also eat club crackers and ranch dressing till I'm sick.

Then there's peanut butter and banana sandwiches on toast.

Deb

Ooo, one of my VERY favorite things in the whole world was to make a big batch of hummus (using low-fat peanut butter instead of tahini) and eat it with nacho chips. The diet our Dr put us on won't let us eat like we used to & that's one of the things that had to go. We still eat peanut butter on our breakfast toast, DH's absolutely favorite bread for toast is Jewish rye.

Probably the one wierdest thing I've ever eaten is frog-legs, they're too much work for the expense and trouble to buy & prepare them, but, as Mr Food says, they're SO-O-O good!

Then there's peanut butter and banana sandwiches on toast.

Deb

I like banana and mayonaise sandwiches! Yum! Jimmy likes to eat spam and peanut butter sandwiches.

I also like to eat vanilla icecream on nacho cheese dorito chips.

I can't eat pancakes without peanutbutter and maple syrup, and a big glass of cold milk on the side. If you've never had peanut butter on pancakes with maple syrup, trust me, it's delicious.

Deb

That's a staple around here. :lol: Sometimes we top it off with powdered sugar.

The weirdest thing I have ever eaten was cow tongue. It wasn't bad. Tastes good. Very tender.

Ok, in our early years of marriage, DH hunted anything that was in season, so we've had fried squirrel, squirrel stew, (this is not counting the deer we've fixed anyway you can ground beef).

We've BBQ goat, and when I was pregnant with first child,craved pickled pigs feet and black coffee.

We've cooked possum, eel, fried frog legs. When DH use to take a lunch, no one would share, cause they were afraid of the "mystery meat" he may have for lunch. :lol:

I've never tried it, but DH says he has eaten rattle snake when he was in the National Guard.

Well the weirdest thing I can think of is Rocky Mountain oysters ( Bull Testicals)

They have a big festiable in Montana that celabrate eating these things.

if there cooked right they tast like chicken gizzards.

Donna

A rare treat for me is Underwood deviled ham on saltines. I know the sodium! That is why it has become rare. I like to eat it right out of the tin with a sleeve of crackers. Smells godawful. Kids and dh run for the hills. They say it looks and smells like cat food. I guess it does cause while they run away, the cats run towards!

I also make a steak salad. Sliced thin cold rare (the bloodier the better) london broil, sliced cukes, and sliced red onion. It is really great with italian blue cheese dressing! (mouth is watering). I made it one day cause I was hungry and there wasnt anything I wanted. Now it is a leftover steak staple. They run cause of the blood! LOL

Snacks all for ME.

I guess if you want to be weird, my dad and I used to fight over the roasted turkey b$*#s on thanksgiving

Weird things I've eaten.. well "wierd" is really subjective isn't it? lol :lol:

Boiled snails in spagetti sauce (I can't spell the name for them in Itallian)

Rattlesnake,

Turkey nuts (believe it or not there is a resturante here that sells them - that's how they're listed on the menu and exactly what they are - and they're pretty good)

Dove

Rabbit stew

Shark

Buffalo (the american Bison) burgers

Pig's feet (not the pickled ones)

I think those are most of the things that people might look at as unusual. I also like to dip frenchfries in chocolate shake :lol:

-David

One of my favorite things is to mix cashews into a bowl of m&m's and I'll snarl at anyone who gets one hand near them.

Deb

Ohh...my mother makes something we all call garp..and it is nuts and sweets all mixed together...we usually get Cashews, peanuts, walnuts, almonds, pecans, and green pistacious and mix that with m&m, chocolate chips, white chocolate chips, butterscotch chips, and my fav. rasberry chocolate chips... Needless to say she has to make everyone thier own container because we all get rather grumpy if someone steals our stash :lol::)

And on the scale of weird most people will gag at this one...I take an artichoke and cut off the bottom stem till it is about 1/2" from the base...run the whole thing under cold water to clean it...then in a big pot with a smaller holey pot inside of it..(can you tell i'm not a cook..i know it has a name I just don't know it. :lol: ) Fill the main pot with water and put the smaller one in side with the artichoke in that...shake some garlic salt on it and cover and boil the water (basically steam it) for an hour...in the mean time...take about 1/2 stick of butter and melt that in a bowl...put about 2-3 tablespoons of mayonaise in it and mix well..add a splash of Lemon juice and a LOT of garlic salt to this and mix again..This concoction will be a dip...then when the artichoke is done take it out and each leaf has meat on int near the base of the leaf...dip it and scrape it off with your teeth...then when all the leaves are gone...take a spoon and clean out the hairy part of the heart of the artichoke and then cut up the heart and put that in the dip..MMMMMM good... :D You def. have to like garlic to like this and most people think it is way too much effort for it...but I LOVE IT!! :p

I don't think I have any strange eating habits but my husband loves Twizzlers which is fine but he wants the ones with the hole in the middle so he can drink orange juice through them. He says it tastes yummy.

SuzyQ

OMG! Kristen that sounds so good! (making mental note for next time artichokes on sale)

If you have a green thumb at all you could grow your own... :lol: I'm gonna give it a try...and too boot...they make some really cool flowers if you don't pick them :lol::) Here are a few pics of the flower...ohh...and the seeds are only a couple of bucks :D

7423p678828ti.th.jpgartichoke7hw.th.jpg

Just one word here people: eeeeeewwwwwwwww!

:lol: Just kidding - everyone has their own tastes - and I guess mine are just rather *plain* compared to everything I've read here! Peanut butter frosting on top of homemade brownies is about as adventureous as I'm willing to get!

Now my husband - he will try any food item at least once. On the rare occassion that we have gone out for dinner, he would always try something new and would urge me to try something new too. Nope - nada - not me - if I'm paying those kind of prices (it was a fairly expensive place) - then I wanna know that I'm gonna like what I'm paying for! If I can't identify it or my stomach rolls smelling it or looking at it - then it has no business being on my plate! lol!

I have one son who is like my husband - he will try anything once - the other son is like me - picky picky picky :lol:

Lisa

Rabbit is a wierd food? Uh-oh...I haven't eaten rattler, but 'gator tail was tasty (too high inh cholesterol now). I've had chitlins (strictly starvation ffod IMO) and menudo (there's a difference?); don't care for brains or tripe (too greasy-tasting). I'll eat just about any critter that swims, crawls, or lives by the sea (being from FL). I don't like veggies with a lot of sulfur (rutabagas, etc), probably because I had an overzealous lab partner in chem (the first time through, in the early '60s) give me hydrogen sulfide poisoning.

I have eaten Chit'lins and I Love them (Hubby hates them though and the smell of it so I don't cook it but every blue moon like 4 years ago :lol: ).

Nutti, I love ketchup and hot sauce in my bag of potato chips :lol:

I also like a pepermint stick in the middle of a very sour BIG Pickle :D

I've never had chitlin's but if it's anything like Menudo or Trippo (again I cant' spell it in Itallian but it's sort of like tripe soup) then it ought to be pretty darn good! yum - tripe :lol:

I've always been curious about Gator and I hear they serve it in fritters a lot of places in Florida but out here in Calif it's not easy to come by. I don't really think of rabbit as a strange food either... from the people I run into on the street I seem to be in a minority on that one. Maybe it's just not considered California cuisine lol :lol:

-David

What are chitlins? Is it vegetable?

I'm not a meat eater, so a lot of the weird things you guys eat are pretty weird to me.

I'm a really plain plain eater. I don't cook much. I prefer raw foods: carrots, cucumbers, tomatoes, spinach, apples, oranges and bananas. I like tinned tuna and eggs. I LOVE peanut butter. Most days I eat the same thing. Mini Wheats and 1% milk for breakfast. Peanut butter and banana wrapped in pita bread for lunch. Dinner varies because I try to make something that Ray likes and then I just eat around it. Often I'll just cook myself some noodles and mix a little butter or cheese into them. I always set out a plate of raw veggies and fruits with our meals. Otherwise I mostly just eat raw fruits and vegetables. My extra weight is becaue I do like butter, cheese and peanut butter and I like them spread thick.

For supper today I roasted a pork loin for Ray. I ate cooked mashed turnips, some potatoes (little gravy), and raw carrots. Sometimes I just eat cold cereal while Ray has meat for dinner.

-Susanne

I like banana and mayonaise sandwiches! Yum! Jimmy likes to eat spam and peanut butter sandwiches.

I also like to eat vanilla icecream on nacho cheese dorito chips.

Okay, you win the prize. :lol: :lol: B) gross on the banana and mayo sammiches.... :D okay it all sounds very very odd ;)

What are chitlins? Is it vegetable?

lol....(not laughing at you in a mean way)...ummm they are like intestines....grosssssss!!!!!!

Growing up we had potted meat, sardines, spam, bologna, cow tongue, pigs knuckes, menudo with tripe (GAG, cough, choke, vomit), deer brains with scrambled eggs on toast, liver, heart (dad was a hunter), our pet rabbits (once i realized what we were eating i couldn't do it anymore, we used to have a rabbit cage out back). I know there are more interesting things but i can't think right now.

About the oddest combo of stuff that i eat now....sunflower seeds and for dessert a hostess berry pie and a pepsi. :p i have a very strong gag reflex now and certain foods or combo of foods makes me vomit very easily.....bummer but i can't eat rice crispies and milk anymore...guaranteed to make me puck!

Yeap, they a instestines of a Pig :lol: I know, I know but I grew up around my grandmothers from the South (Mississippi ) and those were wonderful times. We had "cleaning parties" where we CLEANED them, then cooked them.

It's not a meal you would eat from just anybody cause everybody don't CLEAN them good :lol: . But it is a delicacy (At least it cost enough per pound to be considered one IMO .

Yeap, they a instestines of a Pig :D I know, I know but I grew up around my grandmothers from the South (Mississippi ) and those were wonderful times. We had "cleaning parties" where we CLEANED them, then cooked them.

DH loves them. When we first got married many many moons ago, and I was trying very hard to learn to cook things he liked, I cooked some for him. It smelled up the whole house, we had to open all the windows and doors and this was in the middle of winter. (this was also after they had been cleaned and boiled :lol: )

After that time I told him he could he all he wanted as long as someone else cooked them at their house.

Marg you would have definitely puked, cause I have a cast iron stomach and they made me sick. :lol:

I also like banana and mayo sandwiches. So Linda you are not alone.

The strangest thing I have ever eaten is ostrich. there is a small meat market here that sells exotic meat like ostrich, buffalo(we tried that) lion (won't try that) I've had moose and muledeer too. Didn't really care for the moose or muledeer. My neighbor shot both on a hunting trip and had the meat shipped back home. I still had some of the moose left over and stuck it in spaghetti sause to hide it. No one ever knew it wasn't beef.

I love peanutbutter and jelly with syrup on waffels. And peanutbutter sandwiches with marshmallow cream.

I guess I don't eat weird things. I've had Swordfish (yes it was dead and cooked) and Frogs' legs, I swear mine were from Kermit, he's never looked the same since. But that's about it, I tried squid, like eating a plateful of rubber bands. Though here in Utah there's a penchant for meat on meat sandwiches, f'rinstance, a Malibu Chicken is a grilled chicken breast with ham and cheese. Crownburger, a chain around here, offers the, get this, Crownburger, it's a monster burger patty topped with pastrami and cheese, the veggies are underneath the whole concoction. There's a place nearby that evidently has their own signature cholesterol fix, can't recall the name, but it's a burger topped with essentially a Filly Cheesesteak. Carnivore's heaven Bay-bee.

I tried squid, like eating a plateful of rubber bands.

Our favorite Thai restaurant serves a wonderful dish with a "medium strength" (doesn't immediately set off the sprinkler system) curry sauce that uses teeny, tiny squid, they look like little flowers amongst the veggies and they are just a bit chewy, but not a all like rubber bands.

There used to be a restaurant the man who started Red Lobster built near Flagler Beach, FL, when he retired and one of the speicalties was conch chowder, I've also eaten conch fritters at the occasional Carribean festivals we had in Tallahassee (another diet no-no now).