Predicting electricity will double or triple in cost

Sherry

They are predicting that if the new tax on energy passes, our electric bills will double or triple. Ours is running about 200 a month now, our electric company says that will go as high as 700. I've been trying to call and voice my opinion, but unable to get in right now. I guess everyone else is calling, too! In case you want the numbers, they are 202-225-3121, or 224-3121. Speak up now or don't complain when it happens!

Even the average income couldn't afford that, and people on the poverty level would be SOL. We may all have to go the way of the Amish and get gas generators to run our homes. If the price of gas goes up too, it's back to the dark ages, at least after the sun goes down.

Would certainly be interesting to find a link to info on this. I wouldn't want to call and complain about something if I didn't have the facts first. Not sure that I'd trust info from the power company, either, as they would be biased for sure. I'll look around and post back if I find anything.

I have read a lot on this the last couple of weeks. sorry no links right now but I believe it is true that the energy will go up but it is up to everyone to read and keep with these actions and act upon them as they see fit. My light bill was $225 this month and it has only gotten hotter so I am pretty sure I will be looking at $300 bucks next month.

It was on our newscast , and that's where I heard that it was attached to the health care bill. It taxes any electricity that comes from a coal powered plant. That covers a lot of electricity! Those of you who get it from dams, won't get taxed, I guess. We have no dams out here, so we are out of luck, they are all coal powered. That's why people are talking about it on the news here.

I think this is part of the cap and trade thing. All I know is Palosi is going to get super rich if this thing goes through. I did not appreciate her when we lived in California and my opinion of her is even worse now.

They are predicting that if the new tax on energy passes, our electric bills will double or triple.

I don't know who "they" are ... but the World Resources Institute has an understandable analysis of the American Clean Energy and Security Act of 2009 [hr 2454] (that's it's name and links directly to the bill on line ... it's not buried in the health care bill as stated above). In part, The WRI says:

What assistance would industry and consumers receive to cushion the transition?

Title III of the bill provides details on the distribution of allowances allocated to aid affected industries and consumers through the transition to a clean energy, low carbon economy. Rather than being auctioned to the highest bidder, the lion's share of allowances are allocated to entities in specific sectors, mostly with strict strings attached. For example, the largest chunk – 35% - is awarded to electric power distributors, with the requirement that the benefit of these allowances must be passed on to consumers to cushion against potential increases in energy bills. Similarly, allowances are also designated for consumers of natural gas, heating oil and propane. States would also receive some allowances to be used for specific purposes such as the deployment of clean energy technologies.

The bill also earmarks a small percentage of allowances to the automobile industry to help re-tool factories to manufacture new, clean vehicles such as plug in hybrids. At least 15% of the allowances would be auctioned, with the proceeds channeled into programs to assist low income energy consumers. Up to 17 percent will be given away for free to petroleum refineries and trade exposed industries to assist them as they adjust to a carbon constrained economy.

For something as complex as this issue, I put trust in the people we put in office to take care of things like this. Voting on a national issue on the word of a newsreader doesn't make much sense to me. Please use the link above to look at the bill itself, then Google the real name of the bill and get yourself informed on the pros and cons. Then think before y'all start dialing.

The bill is more popularly called the "Waxman Markey Bill" or the Cap and Trade (or as known on blogs, crap and trade). It wants companies to purchase carbon offsets equivalent to all the carbon they emit. The problem is that the costs of purchasing carbon offsets are going to be passed along to the consumer in higher energy prices, a la the "tax increase" that is being talked about.

There is a vote pending on the bill today in the House. Discussions in the House of Representatives are being quelled and limited, as the House is trying to get this bill passed today.

This is a hotly contested political issue that I have been following closely. I could go on and on and on, but I don't want to get too political or opinionated here. Instead, if you really want to read more, google Cap and Trade or Waxman Markey or visit your favorite political blog/website and you'll find the info you're looking for.

I don't know if this is true, but I heard Rush Limbaugh ( sorry if it's mispelled) or Glenn Beck, can't remember which one, say today that lower income people don't have to worry, as they will recieve monthly "rebates" deposited to their bank to cover the increases. I wish I had paid attention as what exactly he said. I'm not sure what constitutes low income.

They are predicting that if the new tax on energy passes, our electric bills will double or triple. Ours is running about 200 a month now, our electric company says that will go as high as 700. I've been trying to call and voice my opinion, but unable to get in right now. I guess everyone else is calling, too! In case you want the numbers, they are 202-225-3121, or 224-3121. Speak up now or don't complain when it happens!

I don't know who the "they" are in your first sentence..but your electric company is scaring you with myth. Here is a link to an article which describes the actual proposed costs. Even if you take the Republican high-end view, you'd still pay much less than your energy company is telling you:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/31494770/ns/us_news-environment/

I called my representatives and asked them to vote "yes".

Unfortunately it passed the house. Here is one of the parts I do not care for that I am quoting from the article linked above "The CBO study said that overall most of the costs of the cap on greenhouse gases "would be offset by income and other benefits provided to households" under the bill."

IMO, this means again the higher income people will pay for the lower income people in the form of higher taxes. The article states that higher incomes will pay more. Why? If I use the same electricity as my neighbor down the street, why am I not going to be charged to the penny the same as they are.

I am 100% sure that if any business is charged any money they will pass this on to the consumer whether it be energy, clothing plants, etc. This will not just affect energy as all plants use carbons and will have to pay for them eventually which I can assure you they will not let eat into their profts but will pass on to the consumer in the form of higher prices.

I am sadded that it passed but am proud to live in America where we can state our opinions. None of us can be 100% right on everything we just have to vote with our hearts and not be hateful to others that think differently than us. Courtesy is to allow both sides of a story and I can assure you that if you read the story from MSNBC it is going to be different than the same story you read from FOX. You just have to base your own opinion and stick with what you truly believe in without stepping on others toes.

The bill passed, and we will find out one way or another. Once again, I apologize and will try harder to keep my opinions to myself.

No! Thank you for bringing this topic to light..hehehe light..get it. Deana, I am with you on that one. I am the light switch nazi in our house. I have been unplugging stuff and keeping an eye. I can bet that my state utilities will find a way to get some of this money some how.

We havent even put the ACs in the windows yet. I do not want to until absolutely have to. Otherwise the girls will flip them on the second they feel a bit warm.

When I start to break a sweat while using the remote, then we will put them in.

Unfortunately here in Savannah we have had the central air on full blast for the past 6 weeks and light bill was over 200 for May. I cannot imagine (probably closer to 300) for June. We have had 95 degrees and above for almost 2 weeks with heat indexes of 110 to 115. It is hot. I leave the air on about 74 but usually during the night I will have to get up and turn it down to 70 (those night sweats are the worst aren't they). We leave the 3 ceiling fans running 24/7 (master bedroom, living room and Katie's room) and I swear with those night sweats I am tempted to get another fan that sits right on top of me during the night.