FairField

temujn

I am thinkiing about buying the Fairfield and was wondering if any one has put one together.

It is a half scale house and is adorable.

Do you have to build the parts like windows stairs and such.

I would appreciate any information.

Thanks so much :lol:

hi there I have the fairfield, but unfortunatley mine is still in its box.

although i can't wait to get it out. i think the windows are precut in the wood, llike the other greenleaf houses. so they just need sanding, I plan to buy the fairfield windows and doors upgrade, think it is almost as much as the house mimd you. but hey ho ! I thnki they will look nice.

you will have to build the stairs.

I would recommend getting it and to pass your time while you wait you can practice making lots of lovley 1/2 scale things to go in it

I would recommend getting it and to pass your time while you wait you can practice making lots of lovley 1/2 scale things to go in it

:lol: I bought two when HBS had a grand sale, with the idea of bashing them together into one grand Bar Harbor-style "summer cottage". I'm stitching an Aubusson carpet for the diningroom now, and after seeing what Valerie (from Sweden) did with the same pattern to make matching chairs, I plan to do similar for the rather boring red fuzzy seats on my itsy dining chairs.

Thanks for the heads up, Linda! I probably would have missed this thread otherwise.

This is a beautiful little house. The stairs and windows that come with the kit do need to be assembled, but as Tracy said you can upgrade to the Houseworks components which are easier to put together (and nicer, IMO). I bought the upgrade kit with the windows and doors, and if I were to build this house again I would replace the stairs.

The house is a bit farther along than this now (I finished the shingles on the roof, still working on the tower) but this is the most recent picture I can find:

shingles06.jpg

You can see more pictures of my Fairfield in progress on my website.

Hi!

It is adorable, isn't it? The kit comes with the basic doors/windows -- there is an upgrade (costs twice the house kit, tho) from Houseworks for the Fairfield. They have it at miniatures.com BUT you can also upgrade with other 1:24 windows and doors if you want at a lower cost than the upgrade kit. I've not started the house, yet, but it's pretty much the same as 1:12 kits in construction.

This particular house will be my first 1:24 kit and I'm really anxious to start, but have two other projects to finish up first.

I use a hot glue gun for shingles too Holly :)

Emily, it looks wonderful!!! I really love those color combos. :D

Yes, I only use the glue gun for shingles. :lol:

I really love this house. I'm happy with the color combination and (so far) with the house itself. I love the furniture I have and what I've done of the interior, too. Just can't seem to finish it though... :lol:

• 3 weeks later...

I'm working on the Fairfield right now, it's my 1st house, and you have to assemble e-v-e-r-y-t-h-i-n-g lol. The windows come on a sheet and you punch them out and glue them onto the window spots on the house....I've only done 2 windows so far (I'm about half way done with the house) and it seems to be okay, dunno though! The stairs weren't as bad as I thought they would be. I cheated and used a hot glue gun and it worked wonders!! I was able to put the bottom riser, and the middle one and square them off then it was smooth sailing from there.

Just don't do what I did and put them in before you paint them! I'm still trying to figure out how to get in there. Ya live and learn I guess! :unsure:

Until the magic day when GL makes a half-scale furniture kit, there does exist a half-scale tab-and-slot furniture kit that I think is made by the same company that makes the half-scale gothic villa and fantasy palace. The wood is similar, anyway. I remember it having a kitchen and bath as well as LR and BR.

I have that set. It is cute and the doors even open and close. I am going to modify the drawers so they work. It has just about everything but the kitchen and dressers. It does have a wardrobe and highchair and even a patio chair.

Greenleaf does make a 1/2" furniture kit, don't they? Or has that been discontinued?

In my opinion, the best 1/2" furniture kits are Cassidy Creations, which are available at Scale Designs. SDK Miniatures has very good kits, too... I got some of the Heywood-Wakefield bedroom pieces and the modern coffee tables and couches for my Fairfield.

Greenleaf never made 1/2" scale furniture though there smaller houses like the sugarplum and the cantebury came withit's own furniture. They also had a 19 peice furniture kit that was for houses that were close to 1" scale but not quite that size.

I have the ½ scale tab-&-slot wood furniture kit that Calamari mentioned. I've never heard of Greenleaf making one. It would be great if Greenleaf remade their Victorianna kit, which is like a ½ scale McKinley. Scale Designs(formerly Bauder-Pine) has neat furniture kits. :angry:

I also have that set, I got it with the second Fairfield kit when HBS was having one of their really good sales. I was blown away at Earth & Tree when Kari was showing me all the 1:24 scale Bespaq-type furniture she stocked.

I just bought a Fairfield with the 50% off deal at Joann's. (Shh don't tell my husband) :angry:

I've wanted to get a 1/2 scale house for a while and this looks like a good one to start out with. Eventually I want to get the 1/2 scale Thornhill. :(