copper flashing alternative?

miniwendy

Wanting to use flashing in the valleys on my dh roof, but not sure I want to go out and buy real copper strips. Is there an easy household alternative?

I don't think aluminum foil will survive my children. Well, who am I kidding - I KNOW it won't!!! What about using masking tape painted with copper colored metallic paint? Or has anyone tried using a thick paper painted with copper color? I have the paint already...

Thanks!

Wendy

Wendy, I have used the metalic paper that is made for scrapbooking. I have also used the copper tape that is used for electrical. There is also copper tooling foil. That is a bit heavy though. As far as that goes, you could just gesso the area and paint the house seams with copper paint. You can use anything that you think works. There are no flashing police out there. Wait. That didn't sound quite right. I guess there would be flashing police in the real world, but that's a different kind of flashing. :groucho: In other words, use what you have. There are no strict laws about what you can use.

Since most rural Southern houses didn't/ don't use copper I use the dull side of regular aluminum foil strips; so if I were simulating copper flashing (somehow that reminds me of The Village People!) I'd cut strips of copper foil.

;) I never thought of the phrase "copper flashing" like that before!

Thanks everyone for the ideas. I think I can use some of them and come up with something that will look very nice.

I got some rolls of stuff in the shelf paper section at lowes. They had copper, brass, aluminum, & a lot of others. You can see this in my album on my Magic Shoppe. I did the bay window with it. It is self stick & cuts easily. I have used it for several of my projects.

Steve in PA

So while you are there......Check the window blind section. They have samples of window blinds that they sell that work great for doll houses ! They were marked 50 cents each, but were on sale when I got them for 37 cents. I stocked up on these & keep a whole box of them. They are hot glued to the backing cards & come off with a heat gun. Then a small dowel & 2 screw eyes & you have some first class window treatments !

Steve in PA

post-1188-1247487740_thumb.jpg

I guess I need to read about roofs and "flashing"...I thought this was a G rated site :)

Sorry I couldnt help myself...I didnt 'know about flashing and my sandpaper roof shinges don't meet at the gables. Tutorial reading time.

• 2 weeks later...

Ducking the flashing police ;) but this thread certainly helped me a lot today as Mz Chantilly went all hmmmpf around here when she heard that we are definitley going to take the plunge and purchase the RL house which will mean a move and al ot of other building adventures and told me pretty well that she is NOT moving without her roof done, so there...

And when I painted the interior I realised that there were pretty many gable kind of bits and pieces on her... So went with the coppar paint idea and that is drying as I type...

Hugs

Well, I ended up going with masking tape painted with metallic copper paint (simply bc I happened to have both here already!). It looks very nice. Only negative is wood glue doesn't stick to it, so I'm having to super glue/gorilla glue the shingles that are touching the flashing.

Debra- your emoticons are great for the copper ;)

The tape from the stained glass dept works well, that's what I put on my farmhouse.

Roxxie, flashing was put on the roof wherever there might be a seam to cover, I think, or exposed wood, like where the shingles on the roof don't exactly meet the shingles on the gable, or around a fireplace. It is supposed to prevent leaks but is also great for spots where you might have gaps. Better a little pretty flashing showing than bare wood! I also put it on the very edge of the roof where the first row of shingles is. Not a thing you have to do on a dollhouse, but it does look good! I didn't bother with it on the puzzle houses.

ive used these self adhesive outlet coverings from home depot. they come in a variety of finishes. theres more pictures in my gallery if you click this picture below they are the next few.

gallery_1884_864_79910.jpg

• 4 years later...

After looking at several craft stores, I found the perfect copper foil for roof flashing at Home Depot. It is clean copper on one side, with adhesive on the other side. It is about the same thickness as good quality aluminum foil, and it came in a 4" diameter roll, 1 1/8" wide and 15' long for under $8. It is sold in the gardening area as a snail and slug repellent! Highly recommended!

John.

• Like 1

Wow, thank you so much for the tip! You certainly can't beat that price. I want to try out copper roofing soon and I know I'm going to make a bunch of mistakes before I get the hang of it so I wanted something cheap and easily accessible, in case I need more. Going to Home Depot is simple enough!

• Like 1

Yes, thanks. I decided to do the main roof on my big Tennyson in copper (I used copper scrapbook paper for the second floor balcony roof) and I wanted something I could experiment with that wasn't as costly as copper sheets. I've been looking for alternatives, so great timing :)