Glencroft Paperclay Shingles

Deb G

...which is to say that I finally stopped analyzing the process and just jumped in. :) It's going to take quite a bit longer than I had anticipated, but I think the results will be worth the extra time. What do you think? I've posted a few more images to my gallery, too.

sm-closeup.JPG

Whoa Deb!! That roof is great. I'm doing a slate roof on my Sugarplum but I'm going to try the egg carton method. Hope it comes out as fine as yours!!

Wow!! That's wonderful!! Do you make the "shingles" after the layer of clay is on the house? I'd love to do that sometime, just not sure I would know how to doit....

Thanks, everyone! Now if the painting part goes this well, I'll be a very happy camper! There are probably many ways to make the shingles, but the method I settled on was to roll out the paperclay to about the thickness of a pie crust, then cut strips about an inch wide by the length of the area I'm covering. I spread a strip of tacky glue on the roof section I'm covering and press the top part of the shingle strip down, leaving the bottom free. Cut the shingle sections not quite through the clay except for about an eighth inch up from the bottom edge so I can lift the bottom as if the shingle had curled a bit. I scored fine vertical lines in each shingle for texture. Overlap the next strip on top of the current one by about half the width of the strip. Repeat repeat repeat repeat... :)

fastastic job! How big is a shingle? How much space for the overlapping part?
Thanks! The part of the shingle that's visible is about a half inch square, I think, but I'm not terribly good with estimating measurements, especially from memory. When I get home tonight, I'll post a picture with a dime on the roof to give it some scale. The part of the clay strip that's underneath the next row is not textured, and it's pretty flattened out so the rows don't get too high. Maybe I should take some photos the next time I work on it to show you what I'm doing. Sort of a tutorial? More than anything, you should make them the size that works for your particular application. Make it suit your eye, and it will automatically be the right size.

:jawdrop: AWESOME!!!
:moon: Much as I appreciate the many kind words from everyone, praise from a fellow "Glencroftian" is special. ESPECIALLY you, my dear! I have images of your Glencroft on my desktop as inspiration. Thank you so much!

P.S. I added a few images last night with more of the stones painted. Back to it as we speak!

:jawdrop: I love the variety of effects paperclay gives, are you going for brick inside the fireplaces? The second floor stucco with the first floor a different infill looks so good! IMO. Yours blows me away exactly as Tracy's did, I saw it when she was still working on it before painting and then, when I got home from that three-month trip & saw it painted I was overwhelmed, it looked so real! Go very easy on the washes, you want to keep the color distinctions.