When Did People Become So Mean?

Merry

I am posting this as a new topic because I wanted you to be sure and see it. Please forgive me if I shouldn't have done this, but I am terribly upset.

My DH has to have another surgery. This has been quite an unpleasant ordeal, and my DH has missed work although he did use his sick leave and vacation time.

Yesterday my DH was told he no longer has a job because they need someone who can definitely be there. Those were the exact words spoken.

My DH is so hurt.

I am so angry because these people have hurt my DH, and that's the last thing he needs.

I am so angry!!!! Everything is about the almighty dollar!

I am so angry.

It is 100% illegal.

I am documenting everything.

However, you would have to know my DH to understand that he will never seek legal counsel on this; he's just that way.

And, the employer is a national chain with lawyers out the gazoo.

My DH already has a very potential job lined up, but he is so hurt - mainly because he trusted in a person he thought was his friend. I think that has hurt him more than anything.

My son majored in human resources, and he is furious about this whole thing. He has told my DH that this is illegal, but my DH has seen this large chain fire people for taking perfectly good food out of the trash bin. (Food, candy, etc. must be thrown away after a certain date.)

This is no more than a huge company squashing one person down with their thumb. They don't care, and I think that is what is getting to me the most - the fact that no one cares anymore.

The economy is also playing a big part in the picture here too. Read the news, people are layed off for little or no reason. If I were back in the workplace I would not try to be out for any reason. You don't know what is going to happen to your job. It is recommended that right now at this time don't take vacations or leaves. You will jeopradize your jobs.

The economy is also playing a big part in the picture here too. Read the news, people are layed off for little or no reason. If I were back in the workplace I would not try to be out for any reason. You don't know what is going to happen to your job. It is recommended that right now at this time don't take vacations or leaves. You will jeopradize your jobs.

That's so sad! I'm glad that DH can still take his vacation soon without fear of losing his job.

Wow, that is horrible. If your husband hasn't been off over 3 months, he should qualify for Family Medical Leave-- Since he works for a chain, I assume there must be more than the amount of employess needed to qualify for Family Medical Leave. I do know that if you don't return after your leave is over, then they have the option to post your position. (our hospital will give a person 1 yr of "leave" after the FMLA is over to get well enough to return, (although it might be a position in a different area)before "terminating " them).

I'm just sorry to hear about all this--it's just become such a "cut-throat" job market out there...glad to hear he has a job lined up, though. Also hoping his next surgery goes well!

I guess I would have to know more about his job to voice an opinion. If it's a large company, then shifting people around to cover his absence shouldn't be a problem. If it is an ongoing issue he has and he is a necessary person to handle something, I guess I have to side with the company. I am a small company. If someone doesn't come in for a day, it's not bad, but that means that everyone else has to stay late to cover their job. If anyone takes a vacation, I have to find someone to come in and help - sometimes I can cover for them, or if a friend is on vacation and wants extra money... If anyone got ill and was going to be off for any amount of time, I would have to let them go and hire someone else.

You've hit the nail right on the head, Wolfie.

This would not be illegal in South Carolina or Georgia but not sure about other states. Both SC and GA are right to work states and they do not have to have a reason to fire you. It is perfectly legal to fire someone if they miss too many days no matter the illness or problem. It is unfortunate and probably shouldn"t happen in a large company but I agree if it is a small company they sometimes don't have any choice. I worked for a hospital a few years ago and we had 2 admin assistants, me and another girl and this gilr was always out because either she was sick or her son was. I know she was probably genuinely sick or had to take care of her child but from my perspective, I had to do the work of 2 people and we had to have someone that was going to be there or work was just not getting done. It is hard but sometimes people have to look at both sides and choose which one they believe. I did feel bad for her but I couldn't work 16 hours a day either, I had a child to take care of as well. I hope you husband gets better very soon.

:p oh i am so sorry they had not right to do this talk with a laywer . this happen to me i was sick and i had sleep apena also a head injurie i could not see i was falling asleep at work i was moved from school to school far way from my home. they treat me so bad i . i had breast cancer and i report a person for abuse they let me go everyone who had cancer got their job bad but me. i am now retired with a dsabity and it was not easy i was full of chemo and they had me sign a paper i could sue and had the paper but i could not remember anything . i am so sorry they did that they can not fired you with out some type of package . look into what they have left on your DH's things they let me go and i did not know i have retirement for years i still had my insurance to my surpise please look into the human resources they or the union would know what you will need. and again those who are unkind to use trust me they inturn will not be untouched by their evil deals and that was so evil . you have every right to be as mad and angry as you want. i did sue and won but i miss my job so much

jane

Hi: Definitely understand his situation and your anger. This happened to me in February -- had a heart attack and then cardiac surgery. My job was held open for me until the day before I was released to come back to work and then they needed someone there right then.

I did file for unemployment in February, but did not finally get it until just last week because my employer tried to deny it due to health reasons and all. But, because I had kept them aware of what was going on and had exhausted all of my vacation/sick time, I was finally awarded.

If I were you, I would go ahead and file for unemployment and whatever aid you can get. Sounds like the same situation.

Now that he is out of work, they do have an insurance program (LINC -- spelling???) which is Federal. And, the state of Indiana also has a program for unemployed persons without insurance. Check out every option available.

My prayers are with you during this difficult time. Call me at ***-***-**** should you need any support or whatever.

Debbie

Edited by Minis On The Edge
Please Send A PM To Give Personal info To A Member~ Thanks So Much~ Tracy

Your son will help Dad understand that he has a right to fight. If the company has more the 50 employees..he is eligible for FMLA. It will save him from getting fired.

There is no money in FMLA, but it saves his job for a large number of weeks.

Just the fact that the job did not offer the paperwork and contact with the department that handles it is wrong.

I agree it may be the economy, but twice I was threatened of losing my job due to not recovering from pneumonia fast enough to suit my employer and the next time for having to have major surgery. I was working for a hospital at the time as a transcriptionist. If a hospital can be this callous, I'd say anybody can. Both times I returned to work sooner than I should have. This was only a few years ago. They use the economy as an excuse for everything now.

This kind of negativity is exactly why I like minis,and any kind of Fantasy. I can make

my own world. It's a nice one too! I do live in the real world....but I can always take nice "vacations".Good Luck.

I also work for a HUGE company and regional offices might try to do this but I'm willing to bet that if the main office HR and benefits knew of this they would FLIP..... I understand not wanting to pursue this legally etc but every time something like this is allowed to go on they will continue to do it and others will have to go through the same thing.

I will say what I can.

When I mentioned the person who was fired for taking food out of the dumpster (the food had just been put in there), he was really fired because he was a whistle blower.

I've even taken my personal picture off because I am posting this.

This is a very large drug store chain. They use a skeleton crew to save money, and they require more from their workers than anyone can possibly do - I am serious - No one can do what they require. The workers are working overtime for free, taking book work home to do, etc. for free so that they can try to get everything done which is impossible to ever get done.

What this chain is doing is illegal. It's the same with every other big drug store chain. By law a pharmicist can only fill a certain number of prescriptions in a certain amount of time - meaning that if one pharmacist filled twice that amount, the pharmacist would not be mentally capable of filling prescriptions safely.

The state boards know about the big chains but they look the other way. They know exactly what is going on.

If someone is sick and the chain has to have a fill-in, the store's "numbers" go down because it spent money on an extra person.

I could say so much more - much, much more, but frankly my head is hurting over all of this.

At one time pharmacists from all over the country tried to gather up signatures from other pharmacists to "fight" back, but people were afraid, and those pharmacists that did sign up were fired.

The big drug store chains have become crazy in how they treat their workers. It's all about the "numbers."

You would not believe the stress that is put on the pharmacists! It is insane! It is impossible! It is hell to work in one of these stores!

It is about the almighty dollar, and literally working people to death, and building more stores without doing what is humane for the people who work there.

It's all over the United States.

Thank you, everyone, for your replies and "talking" to me about this.

one of my new coworker's is homeless right now. Her husband was 'transferred' from another state to our area, so they sold there home, pulled up roots and moved their three teen kids over. A few weeks later the husband was laid off. They had been living in a company rental home for a month so they could find a permanent home. Now they have no home/no jobs. Tell me why a company would do that!?

one of my new coworker's is homeless right now. Her husband was 'transferred' from another state to our area, so they sold there home, pulled up roots and moved their three teen kids over. A few weeks later the husband was laid off. They had been living in a company rental home for a month so they could find a permanent home. Now they have no home/no jobs. Tell me why a company would do that!?

I don't know. It sounds very unprofessional to say the very least.

Do you remember Mr. Fezziwig in Charles Dickens' "A Christmas Carol?" He was all about his employees being happy and providing them with decent salaries - sort of an extended family. There doesn't seem to be anymore Mr. Fezziwigs anywhere.

I hope your friend's husband finds a job, and they get back on their feet soon. :p