Harry Potter movie

Jokelly

I went this afternoon. I couldn't wait past the opening day. The theater wasn't as crowded as I thought it would be, but we went to a matinee. It's over 2 1/2 hours so by the time we got out the movie theater was starting to get crowded.

I took my teenage nephew and niece. I thought it went quite fast. My nephew thought it went on forever, but my niece like it. Neither are Harry Potter readers so it's always interesting how they like the movies. They changed quite a few things from the novel. Some of the changes I liked but some of them I didn't. If you're a Potterhead, you'll love it.

Book and Movie spoilers ahead (stop reading if you don't want to know):

Okay, so I didn't like that they left out the Bill and Fleur storyline, but I can see why. Also, I was shocked they had any of Lupin and Tonks in there at all. They hooked them up already even though it doesn't happen until the end of book 6 (my favorite couple of the books besides R/H). But they must be including Teddy in the last two movies (yes, DH is two movies).

I also didn't like how they did Harry and Ginny's relationship. Was it too similar to Ron/Lavender hookup to have them spontaneously snog in front of everyone?

Also, I like how they handled Ron/Hermione, but I so wanted to see Lav Lav's reaction to seeing Ron and Hermione coming down the dormitory stairs. But I did get to hear Ron moan Hermione's name so I'm happy.

I was also disappointed that they left out Dumbledore's funeral. That is one of the the most powerful scenes in the whole series. The replacement was okay, but I missed that scene.

I wonder if Harry will break up with Ginny at the beginning of Deathly Hallows, Part 1?

Things I loved:

Malfoy...I thought he was really good.

Young Tom Riddle...Boy was he creepy. Funny thing is that that is Ralph Fiennes' (Voldemort) nephew playing him as a young man.

Prof. Dumbledore...You could see that Machiavellian streak coming out. He really was the puppetmaster throughout the books. Michael Gambon really did a good job at this. But I do miss the twinkle of Dumbledore.

Got an email from Amazon, Harry Potter years 1-5 on BD 56 bucks.

BAM!

No if ands or buts, is that butts?

Did I buy it? Does a bear, you know, in the woods? Course I bought it. +++++++++- (Sam is helping me type this)

I'll get Half Blood Prince when the BD comes out. I was sad to see that Del Toro aint doing the last 2 films, but kudos to them, they offered it and he turned it down. Timewise wouldn't work. He's gonna be tied up with The Hobbit for 4 years.

We are going to the matinee on Sunday (I am hoping most people will still be at church). I love Harry Potter, have all the books and all the films, however, I was not impressed with movie #5. These books are just too long to put in a 2 1/2 hour movie. I will go to see this one but my expectations are not very high. I believe they will have to leave way too much out of this one as well. My fiance's 14 year old daughter is here from Rhode Island for 3 weeks so she is really excited as well. Harry Potter is about the only thing her and I have in common, well we both love the Twilight Series as well.

I thought I read somewhere that because of the length of the book they were making the movie in two parts? But then one of the previews I saw suggested otherwise. All of the movies were quite different from the books, so that's no surprise. I'll do what I usually do & wait for the DVD at an affordable price.

My hsband took me to see it last night. All I can say is I knew I should not have read the book before seeing the movie. I liked the movie but I was a little disappointed. I had the movie built up much more then that. I am sure that when I watch it again when it comes to BD that I will like it better for the movie it was then for the movie I hoped it would be.

Yep, we went yesterday and the theater was a mad house!

I kept reading the reviews over in the a.m. prior to us going, and they were all great reviews.

Of course, none of the critics had read the books.

Warning!! Spoiler!!

Once again as they did with G.O.F. they left out so much. I think they paid way too much attention to all the relationships and snogging, and left out some really good stuff like Lupin and Tonks and how their relationship got started. If you hadn't read the book, you'd have had no idea what happened there.

Greyback was not introduced and spoke not, and the really cool x-mas Party and it's fab characters was just brushed over.

I was relieved to see the Twins Joke Shop and how grand it was but with the money the spent on that particular set, you'd think they would have filmed more than the 90 seconds they spent on it!

For a 2.5 hour movie, I was expecting a richer story line that followed the book more closely. *sigh*

And it didn't have alot of the "magic" that an H.P. movie should have.

Really too much time spent on regular human issues than the magic of Harry Potter.

Phooey...we don't have a theatre in town.(Very small town) But I'll wait for the DVD.I've

read the whole series 4 times and will read it again no doubt. I have enjoyed every movie

so far with #3 my fave.Can't wait to see all-but at the same time how sad to have it all end. Ole HP has been with all of us for over ten years....one of the family,actually.Ha! :welcome:

One great thing about the movie, it's made me want to go back and reread the last two novels, again. I'm currently listening to CoS on audiobook and plan to work my way through the series, but I think I'll reread, too. It's amazing all you catch when listening as opposed to reading.

I kept touching my fingers to my mouth in an "Oh my!" gesture during the movie and my niece kept asking me why. I told her that it was just parts in the book I'm think about. I thought they did the relationship aspect pretty well. This book had a big chunk of it devoted to relationships so I felt they did cut a bit out. I missed some of the pensieve moments they cut out, though. I wish these movies were four hours long each.

Monica, Lupin and Tonks are my favorites of the adults in the books.

*Book spoilers from HBP and DH*

Everyone thought I was nuts for wanting Lupin and Tonks together pre-HBP. I literally squealed and jumped up and down when I read it. I never in a million years thought she'd actually write it! I'm not a person who cusses and uses explicitives at all but the words "Oh my (insert f word of your choice) (insert religious reference)" came out of my mouth over and over again. I'm glad nobody was home when I read it. I also cried my eyes out with the last two books. Between the funeral to Lupin/Tonks to Snape I was in emotional turmoil.

Snape, it's been two years since the last novel was published and I still don't know what to think about Snape. I hate him, but then again he's so utterly facinating.

Come on JKR, I want the Scottish Book (or whatever she ends up naming it) NOW! Or a new novel please on any topic you chose. :welcome:

Monica, Lupin and Tonks are my favorites of the adults in the books.

Snape, it's been two years since the last novel was published and I still don't know what to think about Snape. I hate him, but then again he's so utterly facinating.

I knooooow! They were by far 2 of my all time fav characters (as well as Serius!).

That's funny, I wanted them together as well. LOL

I hated that J.K. Killed all of my fav peeps. :p

Snape...well ya gotta love Snape.

He's got a few issues and that we know!

I too need to go back and read the last 2 books. We have them on audio too :welcome:

I can just read faster than listen! lol

Phooey...we don't have a theatre in town.(Very small town) But I'll wait for the DVD.I've

read the whole series 4 times and will read it again no doubt. I have enjoyed every movie

so far with #3 my fave.Can't wait to see all-but at the same time how sad to have it all end. Ole HP has been with all of us for over ten years....one of the family,actually.Ha! :welcome:

Llyn!

You really should get to a theater!

The Joke shop is 1,000X's better than you could imagine!

Hugs,

Monica

Spoiler Alert!! Don't read this if you haven't read the last Harry Potter Book....

Snape was such a complex character..you hated him for being so unreasonably mean

to Harry and when Harry had finally seen Snape's life in the pensive-and you realized how much he had loved Lilly Potter(even took on her Patronum) it became a sad

moment.And you finally knew why Snape was the way he was. I admit that I cried for Snape-cried alot during that final book.And cried even more when I had finished the series.....I'll probably never see another series such as Harry Potter!

Yeah, the Joke Shop (no it's not a spoiler) is fantastic. So much better than I pictured it in the books. It was great. I was waiting for them to slip Hermione a Daydream Charm. I wonder how many of them she used and what the twins actually put in them.

So much has been made of Snape. Is he a baddie that has moments of good or a good guy who got caught up in the dark side. He's so twisted and multidimensional.

Wouldn't it be great to be able to to ask JKR all. If I could sit down and have dinner with anyone in the world I wouldn't pick some world leader or some celebrity. It would have to be J.K. Rowling. That woman is just fantastic.

Okay, I'm such a blubberer. I just watched the ABC special "J.K. Rowling: A Year in the Life" and I cried all through it. Not all out but tears were in my eyes through it. It followed the year she was finishing writing Deathly Hallows and aired in the U.K. years ago back in 2007, but never in the U.S. I lost it at the end when she started talking about her mother. Having lost my brother at a young age and my mother a few years ago I just lost it. I knew all of her background info, but hearing her talk about it was different. I got the feeling, though, that the U.K. version was probably longer. I wish we could have just seen that one and not the ABC News version.

I did love her comment about Albus Severus and how he's the one she's interested in. She also mentioned about her post-Potter writing project, one she talked about a few years ago when Deathly Hallows was published about how it's for younger readers than Harry Potter and it's a bit of a political fairytale. Whatever the heck that it.

She's just utterly fantastic.

Monica,

We had a teenagery issue last night and I did NOT get to see it. We decided to go to the late night showing (after the dust cleared) and the show was SOLD OUT!

I think I will wait another week until the newness has worn off the movie.

I am not reading this thread cause I do not want to accidentally read any spoilers.

I'm sure i will wait for the DVD but i really can't wait to see this movie. hate going to the theater tho. I absolutely LOVE Harry Potter. I'm reading the books again. Started on Chamberpot of Secrets last night.

I'm listening to Chamber of Secrets right now on audiobook. I feel that is the darkest of all the novels, and probably my favorite of the series. There is a lot of underlying subtext in that novel. I listen to the audiobooks when I'm in the kitchen doing the dishes or other housework or making dinner. I also started Half-Blood Prince rereading yesterday.

I'm odd about the movies. I go out and see them the day they're released and then buy them on DVD and watch them and then I usually don't watch them too much anymore. I love the movies, but they just don't have the humor and heart that the books have. They're like two separate entities. The Harry, Ron and Hermione of the movies are not who I picture when I read. And I really miss Peeves. :rofl:

I have pushed Harry Potter on so many unwilling people that now I'm getting payback in the form of Twilight. I'm just not into vampires and have no desire to read the novel even though my niece says its so much better than the movie. Someday I'll pick up the novel. It's sitting on my end table. But I did promise to take her to see New Moon in the fall when it comes out.

Went to see Harry Potter yesterday morning and personally thought it was worse than #5. I love Harry Potter and loved the movies 1-4 but they just have not been able to do the books justice with the last 2 mvoies. IMHO, the books are much too large to fit into a 2 1/2 hour movie and too much gets lost. Half Blood Prince seemed extremely boring while the book was very exciting. Bill's 14 year old didn't care for it much either. I am hoping they do a much better job with # 7 since it will take place in 2 movies.