Fabric On The Walls

susanklein

Hello - I would like to attempt to "wallpaper" a roombox with fabric. I know I have seen it talked about here, but my search doesn't lead me anywhere concrete. Basically, would I put the fabric on card paper, or would I need something sturdier? And what kind of glue might be best? Fabric glue? Or tacky? So many glues around! I know somewhere someone mentioned foam core - but what the heck is that?? This roombox is your basic four walls with no cutouts, so I figure it will be relatively easy. I will probably put a faux window somewhere, but I don't even know about that and that would just go on top of the fabric anyways.

So any help would be greatly appreciated! I know someone on this forum will lead me in the right direction!

Thank you!!

Susan

I don't recall what was said on that topic, but in real life, they put fabric on walls using liquid starch. They'll dip the fabric in the tub of liquid starch, then spread it out on the wall. It'll stick in place til they decide to change the "wallpaper" and then it peels off easily.

I have used it for mini wallpaper many times. I just use watered down Elmer's white glue to stick it on poster board. If I have spray glue handy, I sometimes use that also. I cut a template to match the wall that I want to cover and cut the fabric a bit larger so that I will have about a half inch to wrap around to the back of the pb. After that dries, I stick it to the wall, also with white glue. It works well. You may have to clamp it or weight it if you get carried away with the glue, but once it's on it's on for good. Good luck!

Recently, I used the liquid starch idea with my mom's Orchid. With my level of expertise, I felt safer using a method that could easily be removed :welcome:

It worked quite well, actually. We put it directly on the primed wall, even turning corners without cutting. It stuck easily but remained movable to jockey it into position. It was pretty easy to smush out bubbles and when dry, it was stiff and easy to trim with an exacto. Additionally, it leaves sort of a mat finish on the wall that would allow you to gently wipe it down with a wet cloth. Best of all, if you hate it, you can tear them off, wipe the wall, wash the fabric and try another method. No harm done.

(In RL, I once bought quite a bit of yardage super cheap of a printed sheer. I tried sticking the panels directly to two of my windows that faced the neighbors where I wanted light and some visibility, but not so easy to look into. I used liquid starch and they really stayed okay for several years, even with a little condensation on the windows. When the edges began to peel away, I'd slop a bit more starch and kept it going. When they looked a little dirty I tore them down and washed the windows and the panels and we were back to new. I probably could have put the panels back up, but were tired of them by then.)

i did my garfield all in fabric and that was very interesting. I tried the stock paper on and and didnt care for it and then I just ended up gluing it right on the walls and figure out where the windows were then. It wasnt that hard just a little time consuming but I think it looked pretty good at the end. I tried the starch and I didnt care for it, I didnt think it made it stiff enough. I used aleenes tacky glue on it and it is defently stuck on there, one it dries its very hard to get off.