Please Lord don't let us go back to PetSmart tomorrow...

bookmarm

or we will come back with another cat.

Youngest son and I popped in there today to pick up kibble and litter (what goes in certainly comes out in great regularity). Of course we glance at all the sweeties in cages and tell them 'hello, you'll get a good home soon!'.

Then we spotted "Ray". I kept thinking how cute this tiny yellow tabby rascal is, and how playful. But something's odd about his eyes. Then he stopped and turned towards us and we realized he is mostly blind. Sad foggy blue orbs blinking at us. The note on his cage said his previous owners didn't take care of him when he had conjunctivitis and it robbed him of most of his vision. He can probably only see shadows. Just a little boy of about 3 months. Neutered. He was precious.

Golly. Kellan and I just stood and stared at him for so long :welcome:

Nooooooooooooooooo...noooooooooooo...we already have 4 indoor and 1 out!

Please pray we have the strength to resist and hope someone perfect will come along and love him absolutely!

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Awww, Gayle! I am sending out wishful vibes, but they may not be the kind you want! :welcome:

On the other hand, I know all too well about being overwhelmed with pet care.

Still......

Let us know how you feel in the morning.

Oh, I hope so! He sounds adorable - and aren't people awful who let something so treatable go to the point of the little guy losing most of his sight!! Oh, looooong string of very bad words....

My Koko came from PetSmart also. He was being boarded there by a local no-kill shelter, and I am SO glad I found him. He is a dear, and I put it all down to the shelter. See, he had been born and raised in a "collector" house which finally got shut down and all the cats went to this shelter. Well, they had Koko for a year before they even put him up for adoption, so you can imagine the shape he must have been in - he was about three years old when the shelter got him. They worked miracles with him, he is still a little skittish in new situations, but very loving, adores other cats (has friends all over the neighborhood LOL), gets along with dogs, is bursting with health and vitality, and is to me absolutely gorgeous. He's gone from being an indoor only cat to being outdoors (with instant access back indoors) and romping in the fields nearby - I think he thinks he's died and gone to heaven!

I can't go anywhere near pet stores or shelters or even someone giving kittens away at the grocery store - thank goodness my apartment building lets us have one and one only pet, otherwise I'd be neck deep in kitties! (have been in the past LOL)

Gayle, I was in there right after you left and Ray asked for your address...I gave him cab fare and directions.....I would have brought him over but I was going in the other direction.....

Seriously, I can not go in there....I come out with yet another unresistable responsibility...hence "Ms. Pie" who, after over a year with me, will allow me to touch her and she will finally touch me......nope....I try not to go there unless I really can't find what I need anywhere else....I understand completely.....

of course we told Christopher (son 1) immediately after he came home from work. He's going over to visit Ray tomorrow with Kellan.

We have never gone pet shopping. All our little folks just happened (except ferret boys, who were real purchases) to us. Alexandra WAS spotted in an APL cage at PetSmart while Christopher was buying supplies (see a trend here?), but he fell in love with her ...came home to discuss and mull it...went back 2 wks later and she was there for him.

Ditto for me. I cannot resist animals of any kind.....thank goodness I'm on a short leash from Doug or every animal I see would be living with us. I am not allowed near any "freebies" nor any pet stores......

it's in the hands of the guys tomorrow (good for Baby Ray, not good for the family herd). I work and have all day meetings.

Christopher and Kellan will have the power of attorney.

Sounds like you will have a new little "Ray" of sunshine around the house to me!! I think these things are destiny - your family and little Ray were meant to find each other :welcome: He would certainly be in good hands.

Sounds to me like this little guy already HAS a home. Just has to come to it tomorrow!

I stay away from places like that. My four are plenty..but I'd have a dozen more if I went to a shelter of any sort...

I've got 6, and they ALL came from bad situations. They all bring me more love and companionship than I have ever experienced with any other human (and I've been married 3 miserable times). I do my best to give them the best home EVER, and they are all showered with love, but no matter how much I do for them, I always get more in return. As soon as I walk in the door from work, I am greeted with 6 joyful little faces . . . when I am on the computer, I have 6 little furry bundles gathered around me . . . when I am sick, I have 6 concerned little beings all trying to comfort me. Did I mention I LOVE my cats??? If only humans could love so unconditionally! By the way . . . I'm looking forward to seeing pictures of Ray!

I'm the same way about my kitties. Mine aren't as demonstrative as yours are. Only one jumps up on my lap by herself to be petted a couple of times a day, purring loudly. The others are like little people, but nicer. Twiggy my favorite isn't a cuddler at all but wants to be wherever I am. I think the kitty Ray may be a challenge with eye problems but if he is active and happy, maybe he can overcome it in a good home. :wave:

...and herrre he is! :wave:

His bedroom for now is with DS2. This little fellow is a scamp and has already zeroed in on toys. We chose bright/jiggly/smelly with catnip toys. He loves the balls and the fuzzy possum.

He is healthy and happy. We will intro the girls gently in time. He's having some trouble with our white walls, but responds well to sounds. This will be a challenge, but he seems content for us to try.

post-2290-1248732535_thumb.jpg

post-2290-1248732564_thumb.jpg

post-2290-1248732577_thumb.jpg

AWWWWWWWWwww, he's so CUTE!!! How could you have left him there the first time??!! :lol:

It is always amazing to see how animals seem to adapt to disability, and get along well with things we find to be enormously challenging. I'm sure he'll find his way around your house just fine, in time. A little extra catnip is always a nice thing.. :wave:

If I'd had my check book yesterday, it would'a happened!

Lovely and sweet, he is a nonstop play baby. I'm gonna have to find kitten kibble to suit his tummy. He has a *gas-y* situation right now. His roommate (Kellan) will appreciate help for that. I cuddle him and he's okay with that, but he has THINGS TO DO (!!!) so it doesn't last very long.

We have many challenges with this tiny fellow. Keep your fingers crossed! I worked for a vet for a decade +. We aren't starry-eyed about it being easy.

Yes, Rhonda, it's a Danecraft bracelet I wear almost everyday. Gift from my Boy Toy/Sugar Daddy of 29 years. He grinned when he saw your question and comment. It was love at first sight (hubby and bracelet...Ray)