Michael's hutch bash

fov

The conversation here gave me the idea to turn a Michael's hutch into a double bed. This is the one I used:

post-7-1249525913_thumb.jpg

(Apparently this hutch isn't sold anymore...? I had a few in my stash that I probably bought 5-6 years ago.)

I removed the door and the feet, and turned the hutch on its back to make the bed. The top of the hutch is the footboard. The door became the mattress (removed the knob, laid some batting down on it, and then glued a piece of t-shirt material over it).

post-7-1249527503_thumb.jpg

Today I added some embossed trim that I got at my local mini shop to form a headboard. It's a little hard to see with the pillows in front of it so I decided to add it to the footboard as well to show off the pretty pattern.

post-7-1249528723_thumb.jpg post-7-1249526844_thumb.jpg post-7-1249526098_thumb.jpg

Close-up of the headboard:

post-7-1249526874_thumb.jpg

I glued lace to the bottom of the bed to look like a dust ruffle but using the embossed trim all the way around probably would have looked nice, too.

This is a little bit too small to be 1:12 scale - 4" across by a little over 5" long - but I needed a small bed for my Westville and I'm hoping that once the rest of the furniture is in, it won't look *too* small. Here's a picture of the placement it'll have in the Westville bedroom.

post-7-1249526257_thumb.jpg

I made the bedspread out of some fabric I've had set aside for the Westville bedroom for a while. The pillows I just grabbed out of another house but I'll probably make some new ones for this bed at some point.

AHA! (lightbulb going off!) You could add porch posts or paintbrush handles to each corner and some of the fancy pressed wood decorations or heavy laces and stain it all to match, make a frame around the top of the posts and have a Tudor testor bed! Thank you, thank you!

AHA! (lightbulb going off!) You could add porch posts or paintbrush handles to each corner and some of the fancy pressed wood decorations or heavy laces and stain it all to match, make a frame around the top of the posts and have a Tudor testor bed!

That's a good idea! Originally when I went to the dollhouse store yesterday I meant to buy some kind of bedposts, but didn't see what I wanted. Most of what they had was either too short, or too round for what I had envisioned (I wanted more of a squarish post). But I was thinking of shorter posts on the footboard and slightly taller ones on the headboard... adding tall posts all the way around hadn't occurred to me. The boxiness and the decorative trim definitely give it a Tudor feel and I think turning it into a testor bed would be a great idea!

It is looking soooo good, great use of one of those hutches! Very inspirational :) to say the least and lots of great ideas for future houses...

Hugs