What's the best fabric glue?

I friend of my told me to try Liquid Stitch . I got mine at walmart and I think Joanne sell it . It it a white tube and has a small hole for a thin line . It dries clear and dose not get hard like most fabric glue. I just made a house robe with it and it came out great , I am really happy with this glue

I do a very lot of gluing on my mini furniture and I always use Aleen's Fast Grab Tacky. I think it holds the best and leaves the nicest finish, even compared to the "fabric" specific glues.

This is going to sound awful, but I made a bedspread the other day and just used Elmer's wood glue since it's what I had handy. :)

These other products sound good, maybe I should invest in some actual fabric glue for next time!

I'm looking for fabric glue that sticks to fabrics but not to my pincushion. I take pins out of whatever I'm working on, stick them in the pincushion, and then later when I reach for a pin the whole pincushion lifts up off the table. <cackle> It's like a weird practical joke that I play on myself without even knowing it.

I also glue pins to my lips every now and then.

Deb

• Like 1

I'm looking for fabric glue that sticks to fabrics but not to my pincushion. I take pins out of whatever I'm working on, stick them in the pincushion, and then later when I reach for a pin the whole pincushion lifts up off the table. <cackle> It's like a weird practical joke that I play on myself without even knowing it.

Deb

Wow! I thought I was the only one who does that!

Deb

<cackle> That's why I sew everything! Except upholstery. I use plain ol' Elmer's white all-purpose glue or wood glue and it works just fine.

I reach for a pin in the pin box and 14 come out - all stuck together - lol

Jo

Deb

That's too funny. At least you always have a pin handy if you can remember where you put it!

Wow, these are a lot of different ways to do this, thank you all very much for the information. Does the wood or white glue stain? I already have that, so if it works ok, I won't need to purchase anything further.

The wood glue dries yellow and it can show up through white or light-colored fabrics. On darker fabrics, as long as you use it sparingly you should be fine (at least, that's been my experience).

If you put it on with a fine nosed bottle, Elmer's works well. I put it on and then smear it with my finger a bit so that it won't go through to the right side of whatever I am using it for. I use it to do seams in dolls clothes and put hems in skirts. I have also been known to hem a bed spread or two with it. Just don't go overboard. :yes:

I have the greatest respect for you mini upholsterers, bedspread and curtian makers. I've tried about five different glues, (didn't have Elmer's), but tried the Liquid Stitch, tacky glue, white glue, Aileen's Now-Sew and Quick Grip. Aside from the fact that all the glues stained this silk-like polyester, I had to sit and hold them down with my finger forever. The one that worked best for me was the Quick Grip. Now I have to go and peel off the glue from my fingers. Hey, if you put it on your face, does it feel like new skin when you peel it off like it does on your fingers?

silk-like polyester
That stuff is a booger to glue, and stains if you look at it crooked. I love the wide old polyester neckties for upholstering mini furniture, and I'm here to tell you that Elmer's all-purpose glue will hold it, BUT you learn all sorts of clamping techniques to keep the glue from soaking through and staining the fabric.

Most of us that have been at it for a while avoid synthetics like the plague.:p I find either 100% silk ties or shirts at thrift shops when I can. Also make sure that your cottons arecotton. If they have any polyester in them they are, as Holly says boogers, to glue. A good source for real cotton is quilt stores and old, ladies hankies.

I use the generic tacky glue from Wally Mart...works for me. I used that fast grab glue and I had to keep washing my fingers it was sooooooo sticky! I haven't glued any pins to my tongue yet but the cat had some on him I had to cut out of his fur!

My funky old sewing machine won't handle anything small and delicate...

I read in Time Magazine that cursing is good for you! :p

I apply Alean's (can't spell worth a nickle) Tacky Glue on the end of a toothpick or pin to apply just a dot wherever I need it. It will hold and not look "glued." If I'm making curtains, table cloths, or bed skirts and bed spreads, I use liquid starch. Soak the fabric, test a sample first, and drape it like you want it to finish. When it's dry, it stays in place and will not slip off the table or bed. Good Luck!

Toppy

I read in Time Magazine that cursing is good for you!
When we owned a bookstore a number of our customers were Hell's Angels & Outlaws, so I broadened my vocabulary somewhat. I'm good enough to send up an indigo-hued cloud that stuns little birds flying through it so they fall to the ground; before distemper killed off all our feral cats they used to flock to our house whenever I started a new kit, to feast on all the inert little birds lying on the ground!

• 9 years later...