Dandew1

Hello everyone,

I am a new member and I would appreciate any help not only with putting together a Beacon Hill dollhouse but with getting around on this site as I am new to blogs. Thank you, Dan

Hello Dan & welcome to the forum!

Is the Beacon Hill your first dollhouse build? It is truly a beauty. If you click on the Gallery link near the top of the forum screen you will find all sorts of beautiful examples of the Beacon Hill (you can also run a search in the gallery for pictures).

I've not built the Beacon Hill but I have built other tab/slot houses & I can give you a few general pointers if this is your first build (if it's not your first build then these pointers are probably not new tips).

1. Do not use a glue gun to construct your house, no matter what the instructions might say. This type of glue will usually not withstand the test of time or the *love* a granddaughter might show it :yes: There are several glues that would work well to build your kit, just not the glue gun. Many members here use wood glue and many use tacky glue - I myself like the tacky glue.

2. Read the instructions over a few times before starting your build - to familiarize yourself with the steps.

3. Do a *dry-fit* of the house shell before gluing anything together. This will give you an idea if there are any areas of the house where it would be better to paint or wallpaper before putting together. Some houses have areas that are almost impossible to paint or wallpaper once put together. Also, a dry fit will show you any modification you might need to do to a tab or slot, sometimes I've had to make a tab a little smaller or enlarge a slot a bit to get them to fit properly.

4. Masking tape is your friend B) It will hold various house pieces together while you wait for the glue to dry - freeing you up to work on another aspect of the house. Small clamps and wooden clothespins with the spring closure work great for holding small pieces together while the glue dries as well.

Have fun & let us know any questions you have as you work on your house! There's probably not any building question that can't be answered by someone here! And be sure to share pictures of your build. We love pictures!

Welcome to the little family, Dan, and ask all the questions you want/ need to. In the very first Forum on this site there's usually a new member welcome from Dean & the gang, and most of the topics there will answer a lot of basic questions you may have, such as how many posts you need to make to activate certain other features, like making five posts to be able to make an album in the gallery, and stuff like that.

You may already know that you cannot have too many clamps. I have built a couple of kits, and even though the instructions do say to use hot glue, it refers to a high-temp, hot-melt industrial strength glue (like all glue guns used back in the 70s, when most of these instructions were first written) and a control of the gun that doesn't result in drips & globs. I have rehabbed a Laurel that was built with hot glue that was falling into pieces (page 2 of my "Laurel rehab" album) and I have a Pierce neatly stacked in pieces (waiting for me to finish a 1:24 build & bash) to put into dry fit that was built with a higher-temp glue gun wielded by a HEAVY HAND! I adopted DH's heat gun, which not only melted the glue globs but stripped much of the old paint, as well!

Hi Dan, welcome to the group. I am building my first house (the Orchid) and am finding this group to be very helpful and encouraging. They answer questions and praise my progress, no matter how minor it is.

Have fun building your house and post pics so we can all see how it is going!

Kimberly

Hello Dan & welcome to the forum!

Is the Beacon Hill your first dollhouse build? It is truly a beauty. If you click on the Gallery link near the top of the forum screen you will find all sorts of beautiful examples of the Beacon Hill (you can also run a search in the gallery for pictures).

I've not built the Beacon Hill but I have built other tab/slot houses & I can give you a few general pointers if this is your first build (if it's not your first build then these pointers are probably not new tips).

1. Do not use a glue gun to construct your house, no matter what the instructions might say. This type of glue will usually not withstand the test of time or the *love* a granddaughter might show it :welcome: There are several glues that would work well to build your kit, just not the glue gun. Many members here use wood glue and many use tacky glue - I myself like the tacky glue.

2. Read the instructions over a few times before starting your build - to familiarize yourself with the steps.

3. Do a *dry-fit* of the house shell before gluing anything together. This will give you an idea if there are any areas of the house where it would be better to paint or wallpaper before putting together. Some houses have areas that are almost impossible to paint or wallpaper once put together. Also, a dry fit will show you any modification you might need to do to a tab or slot, sometimes I've had to make a tab a little smaller or enlarge a slot a bit to get them to fit properly.

4. Masking tape is your friend :blush: It will hold various house pieces together while you wait for the glue to dry - freeing you up to work on another aspect of the house. Small clamps and wooden clothespins with the spring closure work great for holding small pieces together while the glue dries as well.

Have fun & let us know any questions you have as you work on your house! There's probably not any building question that can't be answered by someone here! And be sure to share pictures of your build. We love pictures!

Hello,

Actually this is my second dollhouse I am building. The first one was over 20 years ago that I built for my daughter, the Beacon Hill is for my granddaughter. I took your advice about not using a glue gun. There were only a few joints that I put that on. A great suggestion not to use one. Thank you! I am also follwing your other suggestions. Thank you again!

Hi Dan, welcome to the group. I am building my first house (the Orchid) and am finding this group to be very helpful and encouraging. They answer questions and praise my progress, no matter how minor it is.

Have fun building your house and post pics so we can all see how it is going!

Kimberly

Hello Kimberely and thank you for your warm welcome. I am taking a break right now from the gluing. So far so good!

Welcome to the Greenleaf Forum,Dan. Lots of people here to help with any house and with running around this site.Good times ahead! :welcome:

Hello LLyn and thank you for your very nice welcome! This sure looks like a great site with so many friendly folks!

Welcome to the little family, Dan, and ask all the questions you want/ need to. In the very first Forum on this site there's usually a new member welcome from Dean & the gang, and most of the topics there will answer a lot of basic questions you may have, such as how many posts you need to make to activate certain other features, like making five posts to be able to make an album in the gallery, and stuff like that.

You may already know that you cannot have too many clamps. I have built a couple of kits, and even though the instructions do say to use hot glue, it refers to a high-temp, hot-melt industrial strength glue (like all glue guns used back in the 70s, when most of these instructions were first written) and a control of the gun that doesn't result in drips & globs. I have rehabbed a Laurel that was built with hot glue that was falling into pieces (page 2 of my "Laurel rehab" album) and I have a Pierce neatly stacked in pieces (waiting for me to finish a 1:24 build & bash) to put into dry fit that was built with a higher-temp glue gun wielded by a HEAVY HAND! I adopted DH's heat gun, which not only melted the glue globs but stripped much of the old paint, as well!

Hello havanaholly :welcome: Thank you for your nice welcome and your tips. You are right as I have followed your advice on the clamps. You really can't have too many!

Hello and Welcome! Good luck with your Beacon Hill- its such an amazing house!

Hello miniwendy :welcome: The Beacon Hill truly is an amazing house! I know that my granddaughter will get many years of enjoyment out of it!