Staircase Options

kawinkle

I put the staircase together for the orchid last night and do NOT like them. I am looking for some stairs like in the garfield. The kind that comes down, has a small landing and goes down at a different angle. The ones I have right now look like a ladder and are ugly. Does anyone have any prefernces for ordering staircases or any other dollhouse options. I am in the mood to change a bunch of things on my orchid in an effort to make her look and feel better! :-)

Haha, you and I think alike. :welcome:

I replaced the stairs in my Orchid with Houseworks stairs. Take a look at miniatures.com, you can probably find something like the ones you've described (but you might have trouble with stairs that turn due to the placement of the windows on the first floor...)

Maybe a curved staircase would work. I wasn't paying attention and I made the stair hole on the side with no windows on the side. I was going to place them so the back of the stairs face the back of the house but that leaves a tiny little space in front of the stairs and at that point what's the point of the stairs except to take up room in the house?! I planned on partitioning the bottom floor between the door and window on that side of the house and making a kitchen with the stairs in the kitchen. I know they traditionally go in the living area, but I wanted more room in there. So maybe the curved staircase would work better for that area. Then it would at least curve out away from the window some. But the set that came with my orchid just look like a loft ladder.

They have EXACTLY what I was looking for Kim! Thanks! They are indeed pricey, but I can save up for them. I would have to modify them slightly to give it a rail since it would not be totall against the wall in a corner. But those would work perfectly! This forum is so GOOD! LOL

The curving staircase is gorgeous. I used that one in my Pierce, but it would be too large for the Orchid. I think the only option for a curving staircase in the Orchid would be to use a spiral staircase which would be awesome.

Kimberly, I've also used the houseworks staircase that Fov told you about and it works very well in an Orchid. I added some railing and bannisters around the top and it gives a nicely finished look without taking up too much space.

post-329-1249923677_thumb.jpg

Deb

I was going to put mine in like that as well but you can't see anything that would be in that room behind the staircase. So I was going to have them go the other way but then what is the point. Maybe I can put a dining table behind the stiars and the cabinets along the divider wall there. I will have to play with it some.

Hi Kimberley, I had the same objection to the Orchid "ladder", but not wanting to spend any additional $$ on it, I bashed up the kit a bit:

I didn't like the Arthur "ladder" either so I patched on some backboard and added wallpaper and trim:

• 1 month later...

When I was working on my Orchid, I did away with stairs altogether...they just took away too much space in such a small house for my liking. I also took out the center divider and made the first floor one large space. For small houses, I just prefer to say that the stairs are on "the imagined other side of the house" :lol: I guess it really comes down to what you like. First and foremost, it's your creation so there is no right way or wrong way.

I really like rbytsdy's ideas...very functional and clever! :thumb:

Now that works pretty nice! Maybe I should think about the stairs again. They do take up a lot of space though. Do dolly people need stairs or can we pretend you just can't see the stairs? They are in a part of the house we can't see from the front.

I used to think that a dh had to have stairs - this had been my opinion since I was a tot. Now, I think there are times when one can take refuge in the "they're in the part of the house that you can't see" theory! (Sometimes, the extra space is more important than the staircase.)

I love the creative ideas people have come up with for solving the stairs dilemma. :jawdrop:

There's also the "phantom" stairs - you use just a few steps, that turn with a partial landing, and a false wall, that gives the illusion that the staircase continues beyond view. There is a company that sells a kit ... I looked for the website, but I can't find it. Does anyone have the link? I use to have it in my "Favourites" - but it seems to have disappeared. :)

When I was working on my Orchid, I did away with stairs altogether...they just took away too much space in such a small house for my liking. I also took out the center divider and made the first floor one large space. For small houses, I just prefer to say that the stairs are on "the imagined other side of the house" B) I guess it really comes down to what you like. First and foremost, it's your creation so there is no right way or wrong way.

I really like rbytsdy's ideas...very functional and clever! B)

Thanks, Chris! I guess I am one of those "must-have-stairs" people-- I don't trust the "fourth wall"... B) The staircases are one of my favorite parts of a build-- had alot of fun with the BH and Pierce staircases-- and the staircase would be the reason that I would get the Glencroft, if I ever get around to it...

• 1 month later...

I am glad to see this thread here...I will be starting an Orchid after Thanksgiving and am really excited about it. I was trying to figure out what to do with the stairs as well. My Orchid will become a Quilt Shop/Sewing school. I love the way you all altered your stair cases they look fantastic. =D

Deborah

If you don't like the stairs you can also bash them, perhaps cut the stringers apart so your stairs could take a bend; if you then close in the backs you have extra room. You would want to make a landing, it would be something to noodle with in cardboard first, of course. You could also trim the treads and risers to narrow them a bit.

• 9 years later...

I just got to this part and I HATE the stairs, and a lot of it has to do with that sheet being more crumbly than the others to start with.  In fact if I put them in like the directions say, there is no space at the bottom. And they are huge.  I actually considered more of a ladder but I'd really like stairs.  I've been looking at diy stairs and trying to figure it out. I have lots of popsicle sticks dowels and cardboard/home made chipboard.

Spiral stairs take up a fair amount of the room. Another option is to leave them out entirely -- pretend they are in the unseen "back of the house."