Coast Guard?

Daisel518

The only thing I can tell you is that I live in the city where the Coast Guard Academy is.

Would he go to the academy?

If so..and if you are going to relocate, I can tell you about the area.

I'm not sure, there are so many things up in the air right now and after reading everything we can it seems like the selection process is very very picky. He's debating if he wants to go enlisted officer and I think that's what would determine where we would go first off. I'm very excited though and hoping he makes it.

Susan,

If he goes to the academy, let me know.

I have lived here my entire life so if (he goes this route) or is placed in this area (CT)..I can tell you practically anything you need to know about the place.

Good Luck!

All I know anything about is AF, since my DS1 is in. If he goes in as an officer, he'll most likely have go to the officer's candidate school first, wherever that is. For the AF, if you get your degree from the AF academy in Colorado, you don't go to officer's school because you do that in college. If you get your degree elsewhere and then join the AF, you have to go to officer candidate school, which is not at the same place...it gets complicated! After that, you can choose 4 places (I think) that you would like to be stationed, but that doesn't necessarily mean you will get sent to one of them! That's the downside of military service, but I guess it has to be that way or half the air force would be in Hawaii! I have never really understood any of it, one time he's going to Pensacola, the next time to Colorado Springs. Then sometimes to Pueblo, since he does data analysis for Lockheed Martin, so I never know why or where he's going!

Another Air Force family here. DH was in 22 years. I've got a nephew who is in the army.

Well, not much in the way of Coast Guard spouses, but at least there are people here who will understand when he has to be gone for awhile.

Good luck to him (and you) and keep us updated!

Thank you guys, I will definitely keep you posted. I'm just wondering why it's taking the recruiter so long to get back to him. I'm just so nervous that they're already gotten enough people for this year. They only take 5500 a year, but their fiscal year ends in September so maybe he'll have a better chance in October. He's got his bachelor's in business management, and is a triathlete, so as fit as fit can get in my opinion. I know if they talk to him, they'll think he's a good candidate, but we aren't hearing anything yet! He is also considering Air Force if this won't work out, but his first choice is Coast Guard and I'm definitely loving most of the CG duty stations...so fingers STILL crossed.

Air Force mom here also. I must admit those longs weeks of basic training seem even longer since there is little to no contact with your loved one. When my son joined the AF, he enlisted in July of 2007 but did not leave for basic until Feb. of 2008. He even signed up for a quick leave. One thing I noticed about the AF (not sure about the CG) is there was no sign on bonus. His recruiter explained it as "We want people who want to join to serve, not to get a bonus." Good luck to your sweetie with his enlistment. We need all the good people we can get defending this wonderful country of ours. Hats off to him!!!

Currently, my son is filling out the paperwork to take his dad and I on as dependants. This would mean that we would move to where he is stationed and could live on base with him. We are really hoping this goes through. Hopefully we will know by the end of the year. Sherry is right in her saying the AF treats their people very well. My son has nothing but positive comments about his superiors.

Judi, my stepdaughter is joining the air force reserves and with certain jobs there are sign-on bonuses. It just depends on the job. The one she is applying for is in intel. However, she has to be interviewed the the officers she will be working for just like a regular non-military job. She goes to Charleston on Tuesday so hopefully she will find out then.

I agree with everyone else, the airforce is awesome.

Sharon please tell your step-daughter I wish her well with her future. We need all the great people we can get. My son is in intel also (really boggles my mind too). He listens to phone calls and monitors emails from various bases, looking for any classified info that might slip out. He really enjoys it. That is all he can tell me though. No juicy AF gossip...LOL.

lol-that's the way my son is. He was involved with the development of some new equipment or something. When he'd call me up,, he couldn't even tell me where he was, other than the 'mountains' or something like that. Drove me crazy!

DH had to do stuff like that too. Lots of stuff he couldn't tell me. But that goes with being a first sergeant. My sister called it "unit Mom" and it was fairly accurate. He retired in 2003 and he still misses it. We met and started dating in July 2001, so I was only around for the last 1 1/2 years, but that last 1 1/2 years was kinda scary. He wanted to retire 6 months before he did, but due to 9/11, the AF wasn't letting ANYONE go.

At least he's working for a civilian company doing a Defense Dept. contract and the guy he reports to in the DoD is a retired AF colonel working for the Army. I think it's funny, but they get along well.

He's leaning more towards the air force right now, after looking into it he thinks it actually sounds more like something he'd like to do. We're waiting to hear back from his recruiter, either today or tomorrow! I'm excited and we're going to ask for Alaska, I've lived there before and hear that Alaska has very few volunteers so we'd likely get it if we request both bases as his first two pics. *Fingers crossed that this time next year I'm enjoying the 24 hour sunlight dollhousing it up!

Only things holding us up at the moment are their rule of coming in with only two dependants; we're not married yet and I have two daughters from a previous marriage so that would be three. His recruiter told him that we could all go in together if he scores a 65 or higher on his ASVAB and I hear this is almost impossible not to do so. And second, he's a citizen of Germany and Austria, but not America yet, and he would like to go into para rescue which requires being a citizen. He won't be eligible to apply for citizenship until Feb and then we have no idea how long the process would take. His only other option, other than waiting it out, would be to go in enlisted and wait it out for three years which at that point he can then apply for para rescue school. I think we're going to try and enlist and wait it out instead of waiting it out here for 1 to 2 years.

My husband was in the Coast Guard for 13 years. He worked search and rescue on helicopters and loved it! It's a small service-has about the same number of people as the NYC police department. We did two tours up in Kodiak, AK and had a great time. Wonderful people and lots of outdoor type things going on. My son is in the AF and is training to be an air traffic controller and he enjoys that branch too. Good luck to you all.