Other Hobbies?

pdlnpeabody

Does anyone else have other hobbies besides dollhouses? I have too many to count, but drawing and painting was my main hobby before motorcycles and building houses came along. The pic below was drawn in dots using a 1/10 millimeter ink pen. What are your other hobbies?

BTY, I would attend Hobbies Anonymous, but thats for quitters. :banana:

Jeremy, the drawing is gorgeous! When I was in college, I did some scientific drawing for the herpetology department professors (snakes and lizards) using the dot technique to illustrate their papers. Most of my drawings were of mini frogs, done under a microscope. I find the technique very relaxing to work on and love to see the dimensional features appear as the dots thicken. :banana:

I've had a number of hobbies over the years, but minis and genealogy and my garden keep me busy these days.

Jeremy, the drawing is gorgeous! When I was in college, I did some scientific drawing for the herpetology department professors (snakes and lizards) using the dot technique to illustrate their papers. Most of my drawings were of mini frogs, done under a microscope. I find the technique very relaxing to work on and love to see the dimensional features appear as the dots thicken. :banana:

I've had a number of hobbies over the years, but minis and genealogy and my garden keep me busy these days.

Herpetology?! When I was in college my roommate had three Burmese pythons. He kept them until his wife got pregnant. After that he found good homes for them, especially since one of them was nearly 16 ft. long. Still miss them, but they were difficult to care for.

I've drawn seven pieces in stipple, the largest were 30" X 40". It is relaxing, but it takes a long time to finish a piece. Airbrushing has really good results, but its 90% preparation and 10% painting.

Gina,

Those are incredible! I've imagined doing projects like that, but I wouldn't know where to begin. Absolutely stunning.

There isn't a lot I do up here in Washington except the miniatures and some ghost hunting now and then, but when I was in San Jose, I had a garden, took my telescope out with my astronomy club every month, and showed mice and model horses, trained my dog in obedience and SAR for a number of years and when he was gone, helped my friend with her real horses, plus did SAR for group attached to the local police department.

I think I have SO many...sometimes it affects my sleep and marriage!!!!

For Example........Gardening/yard

Scottish Terriers

Hitty Dolls

Betsy McCall

Vogue Ginny

Sewing

Home decorating

Vintage linens

Antiques

Garage Sales

Family History

EBAY

Thrift stores

Old Books

Poetry

This forum(That forum)

Miniatures

American Girl / Bitty Dolls

There REALLy isn't enough room here to go on and on and on and on and on..............................................................................

Well, I've always loved mini things but now I build houses...I collect dolls:BJD's,My Twinns,

I love to read and collect first edition books,Harry Potter anything,and all sorts of fairies-

elves-gypsies etc.Lots of stuff.....too bad I don't have more room! :p Then there's my

dogs-two retired Greys...three cats....occasional fish(all named Finley)Also have a

collection of my fave toys and books from when I was little-many,many,many

years ago.(Must be Antiques!) Yup, need more room... :woohoo:

Oh, gee, where to start. I have so many hobbies, although some of them I won't do for months at a time.

dollhouses

sewing

needlepoint, crochet

quilting

genealogy

reading

antique advertising

antique Mexican pottery and art

vintage jewelry

gardening

garage and estate sales

my house redecorating

house plants

Dolls houses are the first (and only) hobby I have had in years and years unless you count gardening which has taken a bit of back seat this year. I used to paint watercolours many years ago and I used to do competitions when my son was very small. I had one great year where I was constantly winning prizes including 2 holidays. As he grew older and was awake and boisterous for longer, I was too tired at the end of the day to spend time on anything except vegging.

I'm intrigued about the ghost hunting though - what a great hobby

I've acquired several new hobbies along with mini-making, as well as using the old ones:

doll making & collecting (and making other toys)

needlecrafts (sewing, embroidery of all kinds, quilting, crochet, knitting, tatting; applique)

drawing, painting, sculpting

BOOKS

woodworking, attempting cabinetry/ joinery

cooking

travel

hiking

cycling

paddling

Several hobbies I've left behind include philately and bottle collecting and geneology.

I know better than to discuss religion, but I'll say I don't believe in ghosts. However, when I was very young I lived in a house that was occupied by something much worse and I wouldn't go looking for something like that again.

As for hobbies, a few off the top of my head:

Musical instruments:

Oboe

piano

Great Highland Bagpipes

Harmonica

Door harp

Purcussion

Recorder

Banjo

Puzzles

researching history

Cycling (until wear and tear took its toll)

Road trips

Airbrushing

Acrylic painting

Color pencils

Stippling

Scale model building

Full-size replica building (although this was actually a job, I loved it like a hobby).

I would count reading, but I do so much of that at work I haven't done much reading at home. I still ride my motorcycle 7 days a week, but just for commuting these days.

My dollhouses have taken a back seat lately because I have just run out of room. I have always collected dolls and they take up room also but not as much. I have mostly vinyl dolls, Barbie, (packed away in plastic containers for now), Euro Girls, Gotz, Heidi Ott and this past year, American Girl. All except Barbie are 18". They have taken over my collecting for now. I also knit, sew and crochet and lately spend too much time on the American girl Board and not enough here. I like to read what everyone is doing but unless I can either sell or store some houses I just can't start another now. When I do get back to building I'd like to build a new laser cut house.

My other hobbies are

crocheting

sewing

baking

cake decorating

reading

and whatever craft my kids come up with at the moment

I have had no time lately for any hobbies including my dollhouse. That and to be honest the mood has not struck me for any hobbies in the last week and a half it is a wonder I was able to get my mending down this weekend.

Forgot to add that I also do scrapbooking, as well as other minor hobbies. Seems that I get into a hobby in a big way, then I drift away from it for a few months to a few years or more. dh's is the hobby that I have been able to stick with the longest because it has such variety within it. Also, I have big dreams for my dh's, and I want to see those dreams become reality!

I also collect dolls. I collect Blythe dolls...i love their big heads and small bodies. I collect Tonner 16 and 17 inch dolls. I'm trying my hand at sewing outfits since outfits can be so expensive. i've made two sun dresses, but just need to finish them up, they are almost completed. Oh and i collect wedding dresses for the 16 inch tonners.

I just remembered another - making chain Maille (you know, the metal rings Europeans made into armor). I mostly make wallet chains, but I have made one vest using 30,000 1/4" rings and two head pieces (I can't remember the name for it).

I have to say, building doll houses is the most diverse hobby I have. I can do masonry, carpentry, electrical, painting, tiling, landscaping and fine woodworking all on one project. Best yet, no two projects are alike!

I think a lot of the reason so mini of us have taken to the mini-making aspect of the hobby is precisely because it gives us the opportunity to use all these other craft skills in mini; plus the opportunity to learn new ones!