TV or no TV?

KathieB

Someone (Dogster/Andrew) mentioned in another thread that he does not have TV. We have been thinking of disconnecting the satellite. I'd love to know who else here is already without TV and how you feel about it.

I cancelled cable in, I think, February. It was costing me a bit over $100 a month, iirc, and I watched all of maybe 3 channels.

I use hulu.com for amusement. News programs I watch on their own websites. Helps that I have a p/t time job for a dear person who has a huge video collection and likes to share. :banana:

Mostly I get books on tape or CD from the library and listen to them while I'm mini-ing.

I get much more done without the TV. I'd turn it on for background noise and end up watching whatever was on just because it was on.

I quit watching TV about 8 years ago, just didn't find anything I wanted to watch anymore. We have a TV, my husband watches the news, the grandkids watch DVD's. I don't watch many movies either, if I've read the book I don't need or want to see the movie and, since I don't watch TV I don't see the ads and don't know what movies to choose.

Honestly, I'm not much of a TV watcher. Left to my own, it would rarely if ever come on. Do like to watch sci fi with my hubby though, which is actually what we're doing right now :banana: We havent had any kind of pay tv for close to 20 years...dont miss it really. I do think its handy to have a tv in case of weather emergencies, though

We had satellitefor about 10 years. Rates kept going up, programming went down. We dropped it 2 years ago and neither of us miss it what-so-ever. Now thanks to the governement and their HD TV we cannot get the local channels. Tv breaks up badly. So all summer we have had the tv on about a total of 6 hours. Don't miss it at all. I do have a collection of movies which I watch while I am sewing or doing mini work. We rent movies now and then. Right now I have the radio on. Rita

I had to drop cable when I lost my job and without cable, I can't get any channels. Right now I'm listening over the computer to a talk show radio that's based in San Francisco. I really like it, but I miss my TV. I miss CSI and Monk and I can't wait till I can afford to get cable again. I miss my TV.

I never watch t.v. I would throw the whole unit out in the alley, if it were only up to me. DH, however is a permanent fixture on the couch infront of the set. That idiot box blares whether he's actively watching something or not. He could be reading or sleeping, and if it gets turned off, it's like he lost his best friend. He pays the cable bill. I flat out refuse to waste my hard earned money on it.

I used to be one who always had the TV on for background noise - didn't really watch it because I was always making minis, but DID listen to it. That was with cable, should say.

Then I moved to this tiny town up in the mountains where no stations come in unless you sign up with the one cable company in town (they have a real monopoly on cable, phone and internet) and I just never had the cable connected. It was hard the first few months, but then after a while I stopped caring, and now nearly two years later if I DO try to watch a show on someone else's TV I just about can't stand all the commercials which seem to go on forever and even old favorite shows don't hold my attention anymore (well, except for anything Star Trek LOL).

I listen to a lot of radio online and love to listen to audiobooks, so I am online most of the time and listening to SOMEthing while I work.

There's some good stuff on TV, but you have to wade through such a huge amount of garbage to get to the good stuff and now that I've learned to live without it, the good stuff just isn't worth the wade for me anymore!

I am, actually, like nechee. When I say I don't have TV I mean I can't watch TV shows. I have a very nice home theater (aint watched it recently). Blu-ray. Commercials just make me want to rip my own eyes out.

We have no TV - haven't for years. We had cable, must have been about 1992ish. We had a very wet November and a tree came down at the top of our driveway. Well Christmas Eve came and we thought maybe there would be something good to watch on the TV. Well when the tree came down, it had brought down the cable - it had taken us six weeks to notice! At that point we shut it off. We have four girls who didn't miss it a bit.

Quite frankly when the girls were young we rarely had time for TV - we would watch movies at the weekend though.

Now the kids are grown we do have a wonderful TV - a 60" Pioneer - that can access our file server via ethernet so we have tonnes of movies digitally on the file server for the family (and grand-kids) to watch either on the big screen or on a laptop in bed, outside on the deck or elsewhere, or on the computer in our kitchen/dining area, we also have blu-ray for the latest movies. Best of all we use www.uknova.com to get the latest and not so latest shows and documentaries. We get our news on the internet and the kids get many of their shows there too.

Lisa R.

ooooo interesting subject.....

i have tv and what you call 'cable' but i never watch it...the tv is hardly ever on so i was thinking of getting rid of it....hmmmmmm seems i could survive :p

i dont think i could live without tv period but i think i could make it without cable. just channels 2-13 or whatever it is but i would miss my ABC Family channel a LOT!

I don't think i've ever been a big tv watcher....and for a number of years i didn't watch it at all. i have satellite now because i like to watch cold case files, the first 48, etc...i also watch hgtv. that's about all really. i don't watch it much tho.

I love my TV....we have satelite and I hardly ever watch network.But the politics,

Discovery,Science,Movies etc I adore.Since I worked nights for 20 yrs.I've always used the TV for background noise and even now retired I have"ole paint" on in my room all night.If I shut it off(timer) I wake up 'cuz of the silence!!It's on now in the LR and I'm here typing away and my roommate is in the kitchen cooking.I love the background noise!! :p

I only watch about 3 channels out of the gazillion our cable provider has -- and I normally have specific things I watch that I just record and play back at my convenience without ads -- other than CNN. But I'm pretty sure the husband would just dry up and die without TV/cable. He definitely gets his $$s worth!

Confessions of a TV Addict: Now for the extreme other side...I watch tv ALL the time. There are tv's in almost every room of my house. When, I cook, the tv is on, when I sleep, the tv is on, when I mini, the tv is on, when I'm on the computer, the tv is on, when I.......you get the idea. I can tell you what I watch EVERY evening of the week. I do think I started watching more, since I now live alone. I guess I like the company and do find myself talking back to the tv. However...no apologies....this is where I am in life right now! :p

We went mini years when the kids were small without TV after our original set blew out the night CBS censored the Smothers Brothers last show. We have had cable a couople of times, when that was what there was, and we got a C-band big dish when we first moved out into the woods; lightning ate it for good last year, and I really missed my Discovery digital shows. Since we got our two HDTV antennae (one is aimed East-West & the other North-South) we have a great selection of local channels that, when the weather's just right, can range from Jacksonville to Mobile to Atlanta. There are very few network shows I care for except "Extreme Makeover: Home Edition", but I've been a PBS junkie since the mid-60s.

We have not had TV for almost 12 years now and we really don't miss it. We get all of our news updates online and our weather reports as well. We read more and I do my dollhouses and dolls. We are not bored, nor are we boring! We have more quality time with each other and our pets. I might add that we are very remote here in MOntana and do not miss the chitter chatter of TV whatsoever.

And I have not gone stir-crazy either!