TV or no TV?

KathieB

(setting down the remote to respond) I gotta have my TV. Hubby and I battle often over it. he wants it off, I want it on. I need to noise. Too dang quiet without the TV on. I hear every little sound outside and in the house. Sick of hearing the neighbors noisy car drowning out my TV. Hate the loud car commercials, but that is what the mute button is for. I just gotta have my NCIS and Dealiest Catch.

Hulu addict here. I called the cable company to cancel because they'd gotten so expensive and I have Hulu - well, they asked what it would take to keep me and I said give me the rate I had years ago - $32 / month! And they did, for six months. Apparently every six months I have to call and threaten to cancel. Eventually, I will, because I really don't NEED to watch any particular shows. I'm more a movie goer....

I'm with you on that, Andrew! Even the mute button doesn't keep me from feeling suicidal and/or homicidal part-way through one commercial break.

Just plain spoiled rotten by watching movie and TV series DVD's without the added grabage, that's me.

I'm with you on that, if I'm interested I'll get a DVD set of a show, I have quite a few, lot of British comedies. I'll give an example, Chappelle's Show was in a 30 minute time slot, DVD, from the beginning of the opening credits to the end of the closing credits: 16 minutes.

I can easily live without tv and did for a long time. I never, ever turn it on. When I was single, one of the first things to go out the door after my ex was cable. Bruce watches tv but he's not obsessed with it. He doesn't turn it on unless he's going to watch something. I'll watch Eureka, Saving Grace, Leverage and NCIS with him but if he didn't turn it on I'd never think of it.

I do watch movies on dvd from time to time but only if I'm really sick.

Deb

I like to watch the local and National news every night--I feel lost without it. I don't have cable and have had a hard time getting good reception since the switch to dtv.--It started out ok--I actually had more channels at first, but they are slowly dropping off--I keep wondering if they are turning down the power on the towers or something.

I have had cable a few times in my life--in college in the dorms & when my job sent me to another state and provided my housing. I always got bored with it, so never bothered with it on my own. A lot of times I just watch tv to vege out, especially after a long day at work, but I always think of how much more productive I would be if I just pulled the plug. Right now the only show I really feel motivated to turn on (besides the news) is "Merlin" on NBC. It is cute, wholesome and the only thing not showing re-runs.

I guess if I got internet at home, I could dispense with the tv, but I don't have a home computer, and am not really motivated to get one. I work on a computer all day at the office, and we are allowed to use it for personal stuff (with restrictions) on our lunch breaks (which is what I am doing now). The last thing I want to do is sit at a computer at home when I feel chained to one all day!

So I guess at this point I am "For TV"

Tappy

Arguing with my cable company after a price hike worked only once. I had some sort of "itis" and my voice was, mmmm, weak. I think the sales person envisioned a little old lady alone with 35 cats or something. Next time I tried to negotiate a deal I was quite healthy; the answer was 'take it or leave it' so I left it.

I do still miss BBCAmerica.

I don't watch alot of TV but everyday the TV is mine from 5-6 because I have to watch the Glenn Beck show and then most nights I watch Fox news at 6. On the weekends I mainly watch true crime stories on any channel, biography channel and history channel and once in a while food network. I cannot abide any of the reality shows at all.

However, I think I could get used to no TV if we had too.