Hello from Hawaii

jenrleech

Hello... I'm brand new to this community and intimidated. I can't figure out where i'm supposed to post what! There's too much here! I've spent 10 hrs reading posts this week and have not scratched the surface!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm working on a BH (by working ... I mean mentally as I've barely started) This is only my third dh and I have worked on one in at least a decade.

I need mentors and folks who won't be bothered my dozens of questions. Hunting and pecking on the posts doesn't seem to work for me. I want fast answers or this dh will NEVER get done! :woohoo:

Any one will to take me under their wing?

My first question is what people use (saw/knife/etc.) to kit bash. I need to make a trap door to the basement.

My second question is how to make the stock doors movable? Will gluing on the houseworks hinges work okay?

My third question is: AM I ALL ALONE IN THE MIDDLE OF THE OCEAN :p ... THE ONLY MINIATURE LOVER STRANDED ON AN ISLAND IN PARADISE. :D

shipping is a pain!!!!!!!!!! No stores here! Shipping costs bucks... takes years... and often requires much repairs to the shipped items. :lol:

Thanks for listening

Jen

Hi and :p Jen!

I hear ya that it's both a blessing, and a pain living over there!

That is the sole reason I have not pick up my booty and made a permanant move to "those Islands in the middle of the ocean"! LOL

I wonderd myself if there were any miniatuist living there as I day-dreamed about my move to the tropics :woohoo:

There are lots of helpful peeps here to give advice.

Good luck on the BH! It's a wonderful house with lots of possibilities.

Aloha, Jen. This Forum is Mini-nei.

I'm brand new to this community and intimidated. I can't figure out where i'm supposed to post what! There's too much here! I've spent 10 hrs reading posts this week and have not scratched the surface
I have been a member for a little longer than 10 hours and I still have to hunt & peck my way around. Whoever thought of limiting search key words to four or more letters doesn't recall terms the way I do!lol

I'm working on a BH (by working ... I mean mentally as I've barely started) This is only my third dh and I have worked on one in at least a decade.
When you make five posts you can start an album in the Gallery of your build. What are the other two houses? Do you have pictures? Please share them, too, if you do.

I need mentors and folks who won't be bothered my dozens of questions. Hunting and pecking on the posts doesn't seem to work for me. I want fast answers or this dh will NEVER get done!
This is the place to ask questions. If it has been asked a dozen times before, there are probably three dozen different answers, plus since the last time someone is bound to have found three new ways to do it.

Any one will to take me under their wing?
How many thousand of us are there now?

My first question is what people use (saw/knife/etc.) to kit bash. I need to make a trap door to the basement.
Whatever will work for you. I find a utility knife and LOTS of new, sharp blades works best for me. You might also bash an extra wall & doorway and make a regular basement door.

My second question is how to make the stock doors movable? Will gluing on the houseworks hinges work okay?
My "Quick Tips" in this month's Greenleaf Gazette discusses hinging doors to make them working. I haven't found a great way to make the itty brass hinges work properly.

My third question is: AM I ALL ALONE IN THE MIDDLE OF THE OCEAN ... THE ONLY MINIATURE LOVER STRANDED ON AN ISLAND IN PARADISE.
We have quite a few members from Oz & NZ, not sure where else; but it seems to me I've noted members of other mini forums who hail from the Aloha State...

Anyway, :p to the little family.

Hi Jen and welcome!!! Maybe when you need things from the big continent I'll just gather them up and fly on out to bring them to you! I mean really, you do need your stuff and I do need lots of vacations....right? Seriously, you'll find all the answers you need as well as some really great resources on this forum.

Hello Jen from another small island, but not quite so tropical.

Loads of people have build the BH so there will always be an answer forthcoming to any question you have about it.

Glad you've joined us - have fun with your build.

Jo

Okay so............. I'm going to make my basement opening with a sharp utility knife or x-acto knife. Now that I've gotten an answer I have a million more questions. But as I sort them out in my mind... I have an observation.

THEN:

I love this forum.... but boy is is a Pandora's box. I had a simple plan to get back into the swing of building. HA HA HA HA simple plan! I WAS going to just make a small kit to specs and practice techniques.

NOW:

I'm completely overwhelmed and the build is on hold while the plan becomes anything but simple. My little kit is now the BH beast. My building to specs has already sent me to the county permit office for many amendments :D . My simple question of what tool to kit bash with ... came back with Holly's excellent answer ... and her weighted question "why not bash and extra wall and a real door". I know this SEEMS like an innocent enough suggestion :p but wait till your hear where's it got me.....

add a real door... sure why not... but then I decided that my Phantom Mansion was probably built on a hill of rock. I didn't have enough rooms to do everything I wanted ... so if I did a real door... why not just add a real basement. WAIT a basement is not spooky and how would they build a basement in such a tough rocky lot???????????? What my BH needs to be built over an elaborate system of caves. CAVES!!!! yes that works. So know I'm thinking of building an entire stand... sort of structurally like a bookcase that I will then create an elaborate system of tunnels, space for wiring & transformers, and extra haunted space for the really spooky. Rough plan involves creating "rock" surfaces thoughout the caverns. I envision about 3ft of tunnels raising the BH up to 6.5ft at it's peak.

I've always worked with water features .... so why shouldn't the caverns have a small riverlet and still pond (yes real water)..... if there's water below in the caverns why don't I have a working well in the yard with a bucket that lowers to the still pond. Since I have a yard and need a grave yard .... why don't I have an additional entry to the caves from the yard and the face of the mountain/stand... then I needs stone stairs and ladders down the face of the mountain/stand........................

Sure a "simple" project and an "innocent" suggestion. :lol: Wish me luck I'm on the three year plan from the start and I will keep you all posted.

Nichole - I love your furniture .... decadent colors... looks rich and comfy. Let me know when your making a trip out to paradise... we have a guest room (unless the BH beast takes over that as well as the two car garage). I'll start making my shopping list :woohoo: Doors open anytime ... unlimited avocados, limes, mango's........... ocean views....... pool........ perfect but no mini's or mini friends.

Holly ........ thank you for all your great answers and inspirations... I'm sure i'll appreciate the mess it gets me into!

Jen (the mini-mally insane today)

A warm welcome to you, Jen - you certainly have caught the mini-bug in a major way!! I hope you will share lots of pics with us. :p You'll have noticed already that this is a friendly, helpful group - so ask away with the questions - just be prepared for a lot of answers! :woohoo:

Holly ........ thank you for all your great answers and inspirations... I'm sure i'll appreciate the mess it gets me into!
Um, Jen, remember my comment about the kit talking to you and telling you what it wants?...

For the basement in the hillside both Minis on the Edge and Corwin have done sort of similar; check out Corwin's Garfiled blog and Tracy's Team Haunted House blog to see what they did. Unless you live in VERY dry climate (which you do NOT!), I'd consider Scenic Water; LOTS of Scenic Water.

As for doiing it, where there's a will...

Hi Jen & welcome to the group. :p Don't be afraid to ask questions. I'm sure someone here will have an answer. Get your basic toolbox ready & as you go on, you will find out what else you need for it. Start small with your utility knife, sandpaper, saw, etc. & go from there.

Steve in PA

Hi Jen

Welcome to the community. No I do not live on the islands but sure have been there lots. My mothers family lives there. Some on the Big Island, some on Oahu, some on Maui and yes I have to go to all when I am there (havent been lately - reason called cash stressed :p )

Am I a master builder of dollhouses - no...I chug along and hope I get it right. You will find soooooo much help here.

Sounds like you have great plans for your house

Donna