I'm Back....

PATBIDLACK

Hi

the knee replacement went well. I had a bit of breathing problem which got me transferred to the heart ward. My transfer meant I stayed an extra week in the hospital.

My pt is over and the knee is gaining daily. I'm even thinking I will go ahead and get the other knee done.

I was supposed to have both of mine done back in 2007 but haven't done it yet. Too many life complications. So far I'm living on pain meds and braces and hobbling alot !!! :jawdrop: I need to bite the bullet and get my quality of life back again.

Glad to hear yours went well. :) I need to hear positive stories and not all the horror stories everyone seem so willing to "share" (???)

Keep going with the PT. I know it's the most important part - at least it was for my DH.

Well, don't even think about leaping tall buildings with a single...you know!!

Keep doing your PT and here's hoping your breathing probs are no more!!

Welcome back!! :jawdrop:

Was it your ACL, or the whole knee? I haven't gotten brave enough to go to an orthopedic doctor (just PT) to find out what I've done to mine. If it is an ACL or PCL, I work for a company that makes allografts for that, but a total knee is a lot of surgery.

Glad you're doing well!

Selkie,

The leading cause of knee surgery complications is surgeon error and the fact that the knee is the perfect environment for infections. If you find an experienced surgeon who is familiar with the causes of these issues and has a good success ratio, you shouldn't have any problems. I've heard from lots of patients who had a good surgeon and they were ecstatic about the improvement in their mobility.

One of the areas in which great medical progress is being made is the developpment of new, more anatomically functional orthopedic appliances. After seeing the new hip replacements a few years ago, I figured knees were next. One of my main incentives to maintain my weight or lose a little more is to take the weight off of my knees so I can use the original ones a little longer.

Pat, you'll be my inspiration when the time comes for new ones!