We got us a dog now

nechee

My husband managed to get his mothers dog, Rocky, for us to have. He barks at the slightest noise. I would love to be able to post a picture but I have no camera anymore to be able to do that. He is a pure bred cocker spaniel, white with brown markings. Right now he is looking a little rough because my husbands sisters boyfriend had nothing to do with him unless it was to abuse him. He needs to be clipped and shaved and defleaed(sp) badly. He looks like a very shaggy dog right now. We plan to get him off to the vet to make sure he has no permanent damage from the abuse. Right now he just seems really sad and thinks he is going to be in trouble over the smallest thing. When I manage to get a picture of him (hopefully I can get my camera replaced soon) I will post it.

Awww Kathie, that's so sad. I hate to think of any animal or person being abused in any way. Still he has now landed on his feet and found a loving home. You take care of him and he will take care of you in return - not a bad arrangement. I hope that having a dog in the home sees the start of a new beginning for you.

Best of luck

Jo

I think he is starting to adjust to the family. He is tolerating the kids better. At first he would just growl at them if tey came near him, but now he lets them pet him for at least a couple of minutes before he starts growling.

I think he might have a hurt leg though, but we can't get him into the vet until Friday. I can't touch anywhere near his hind quarters or he tries to bite. And I am the only one who can touch him and he will not growl at me.

He is a great dog, he just needs some extra attention right now and I can give it to him all day long. I may be allergic to him but I will not seehim left in ahome where he was being abused.

Good for you! He will learn that you aren't going to hurt him and I bet when he is feeling safe and secure, he will be a fantastic dog. I've had friends who adopted abused dogs and they forget after a while. He'll be a loved member of the family soon!

First of all, my congratulations for taking in a rescued pup. Little cocker spanials make wonderful pets. It was the first dog I ever had as a child and I remember him with much affection. May I add some suggestions to make the transfer easier for you both? Depending on how he was treated in his previous situation he may take a certain amount of time to accept the you. The wonderful thing about dogs is that they live in the moment and will for the most time will adjust quickly.

Set aside an area in the house where he can feel safe from everyone. If you have a small crate set it up there, add a comfy blanket and leave the door open. Add a water dish and feed him here as well. If he has not been groomed for quite a while and he has lots of snarls in his coat he may well also have feces in the area around his rear. This is not unusual when the dog's grooming has been ignored for some time. Snarls can be pulling on his skin and developing sores and the feces can add to his discomfort. We try to get those dogs we deal with in rescue into a bath as soon as possible both to do a de-fleaing and to make them more comfortable. To start the process of grooming do not try to pull a comb or stiff metal brush through the snarls as it will hurt and he will fight. When you can handle him see if you first can cut out/off those snarls. He will probably look a bit rough but he will feel much better. Once he is clean and the major snarles removed brushing with a soft grooming brush will be much easier and he should enjoy the process more.

Spend a lot of time holding and talking to him gently. Do not baby him but be firm and gentle. Try not to let the kids play with him right now and certainly do not leave them unsupervised with the dog. He will be feeling a little overwhelmed and quick to be defensive. I do not know the age of your children, but small ones tend to move quickly and if he is suspicious he will defend himself since he has not developed any bond with them yet. Think of him as a wounded little soul who will need time to heal.

Again my admiration for taking him on. It sounds like when you both have adjusted to each other you will find your lives much enriched.

Bless you,Kathie and your family for rescuing one of God's creatures!! Lucky Rocky to

have found a good home! We have two rescue Greyhounds and we have their cages(left open) in our livingroom and they use the "dens" often.Or if Fred(the male) feels over-

whelmed and wants quiet he goes in my room to lay down OR looks for bits of wood

that I may have dropped and chews on that.They sleep in my room at night and that's where I do my dollhouses also...hence the wood bits!Good luck!! :p

Oh Kathie,

You are truly a great person. I'm so glad you got Rocky. I know when he sees that you will give him nothing but love, you will truly have a "devoted friend for life". I have a Cavalier King Charles Spaniel named Abbey who is the love of our lives. God bless you!

I'm with Wolfie on this one!!! I think your husband's sister ought to dump her boyfriend like a hot potato!! :unsure:

Sometimes a dog will bite because they are being touched where they are hurting. I am very happy that you are taking him to the vet. Please let us know what the vet says.

The poor baby!!!! I HATE animal abusers!!! I HATE THEM!!!!

How does your sister-in-law feel about a boyfriend who abuses animals?!?!

I'm sorry if I am coming across too harsh at your sister-in-law and her boyfriend, but I am a HUGE animal lover, and my heart goes out to this innocent creature.

Bless you for rescuing it. :)

I think your husband's sister ought to dump her boyfriend like a hot potato!!

Sometimes a dog will bite because they are being touched where they are hurting. I am very happy that you are taking him to the vet. Please let us know what the vet says.

The poor baby!!!! I HATE animal abusers!!! I HATE THEM!!!!

How does your sister-in-law feel about a boyfriend who abuses animals?!?!

I'm sorry if I am coming across too harsh at your sister-in-law and her boyfriend

Does anyone else see the danger signals here? Any lout who abuses an innocent, sweet cocker spaniel puppy won't hesitate to abuse humans, either. If this isn't a red flag for the SIL to get out while she can, I don't know what is!

Working for the Health Department in school health the only other area i got nearly as many hours' instruction/ training as diabetes mellitus education was recognizing & intervening in abuse situations. Abusing animals is almost always THE red flag outsiders have to what's going on behind closed doors.

Does anyone else see the danger signals here? Any lout who abuses an innocent, sweet cocker spaniel puppy won't hesitate to abuse humans, either. If this isn't a red flag for the SIL to get out while she can, I don't know what is!

HUGE red flag as well as some buzzers and sirens going off. It's not always the case, but it can definitely be an indicator. Anyone who will beat up on a defenseless animal won't have many reservations about abusing a human if they can. On the other hand, I've known some really violent men who only show compassion and tenderness to animals. But any way you look at it, a person who will abuse an animal is pretty sick and needs to spend 10 minutes alone in a sound proof room with Wolfie and the weapon of her choice.

Kathie, how is the poor baby doing now? Have you been to the vet yet?

Deb

But any way you look at it, a person who will abuse an animal is pretty sick and needs to spend 10 minutes alone in a sound proof room with Wolfie and the weapon of her choice.

The sound-proof room's probably not necessary, it seems to me that there are quite a few here who'd be lined up cheering while Wolfie takes care of this guy. :groucho:

Rocky got a clean bill of health from the vet. There is some bruising on his hind quarters but no broken bones or anything permanently damaged. He is slowly getting used to the family. He follows me around like an idol or something. He attached hmself to me to the point of where the kids can't come near me if Rocky is sitting next to me. We could not afford to get him clipped and shaved down this week but next week we should be able to get him all groomed up and looking pretty again. The vet gave him some advantage to help with the fleas, and I had cut all the snarled and matted hair off of him before we went to the vet. But he still looks like very shaggy dog. He is even fattening up aain and getting to not be so thin looking. Hopefully I get my camera replaced soon and I will be able to post a picture of my rescue pup.

I am just so glad that there is no permanent damage.

According to my SIL, her boyfriend did nothing to him but I do not know if I believe it or not. After all the dog was bruised.

I am sooo happy the dog has a loving home now! Give him lots of love he will adapt on his own he might need some space from time to time. Just a thoght but give him a blanket or a towel with your sent on it, it sounds weird but sleep with sid blanket or towel, it will help him get used to your scent, later on this can be a comfort thing when you go out of the house. Congrats on the dog he is very lucky!

:p On that boyfriend and I am soooo happy you took the little furbaby in with you!!!!

Lots of patience and love and things will start to settle in, it will take time but it is sooooooo worth it!

HUGS