5/14/06 All About Mom

My Mama always told us and also practice that you don't judge a person by their looks, the clothes they wear or their material possessions, or the acts of other family members. Each person should be judged on their character. She also said to look around and you can find someone in worse need/shape than you are, so count your blessings and be proud of what you do have instead of dwelling on things that you don't have.

I sure do miss her.

My mother taught me always to wear clean underwear, you never know when you're going to be in a wreck! My grandmother taught me needlework & cooking, and all three of my sons can cook & sew on buttons.

My favorite one was this: "If you don't have anything nice to say, keep your mouth shut."

Believe nothing of what you hear and only half of what you see.

Always carry a jacket until June 1.

There were lots and lots of home remedies passed down through the families, and to tell you the truth, I can't remember them all or where they came from or even why I do certain things. They are like second nature to me, and sometimes I do things without knowing why I do them. Like, when I scramble eggs, I put cheese in them. I was doing that one day when my Mom was over, and she laughed. She said that's how she did it and so that's where I learned it from.

I do wonder how much of my teachings will stick with my children though.

Linda, probably more than you think. Since they grew up with you doing things a certain way, they'll do it the same way without even thinking about it.

My mother used to say" treat others the way you want to be treated' and when one of us was mad about something she'd say Don't worry they'll get glad again"

This was my first mother's day without her and I miss her dearly.

My mother is always coming up with something new, so it is hard to say what stuck the most. I would have to say my mother inspired me subconsciously as a child, she was an Avon sales rep, on and off for over 20 years, I think. She taught me needlepoint when I was nine, and how to make potholders when I was between 6-8. She also taught me how to sell them to the family members for a quarter-- B) so I would have money to buy stuff for my Barbies! :)

Things my mom told me, and I remembered, when I was listening: :p

1- Do unto others as you would have them do unto you.

2- Diamonds are a girls' best friend. (that's debatable--I love my dollhouses too much!) :lol:

3- Never wear white after Labor day....? (can't remember on this one...)

4- Save a little for a rainy day....

5- Ice, rubbing alcohol, and Vicks vapor rub can cure just about anything. :)

She has more, but at the moment can't remember them all.

I don't think I can begin to say what I got from my mother, everything, or at least everything that means anything. Jean Jackson died of brain cancer December 11, 1995. I miss her.

What did she leave to me? A disgusting sense of humor, believe me I DO NOT let loose here, if I did I'd be banned so fast your head would spin. There are only 2 types of people, morons and decent people, it holds, honest. Animals are da bomb! They are, all of them.

A year after me Mum died Me Auntie Doreen (Mum's older sister) said to me that she didn't think me Mum actually died, she thought Mum's spirit had gone into me. That blew me away.

Terri and Andrew, I'm so sorry that your mum's aren't still here. That's gotta be rough. I don't believe that time heals, you just learn coping skills. If someone's worth loving, they're always worth loving even after they're gone.

My mum taught me to sit up straight and never slouch. I still sit up ramrod straight.

She taught me to eat all my vegetables - still do.

She told me not to worry about what other people say behind my back, she said they only know the half of it. Besides, if they're talking about you, you've got their interest. LOL

Be kind to animals and bugs - everything has a right to live.

Looking forward to hearing others' sharing their mothers' sayings.

Things she told me that haven't come true:

- I've never fallen down the stairs and stabbed myself while carrying scissors

- I still have both of my eyes - never did poke my eye out

- I'm not deaf (even though I listened to Iron Butterfly and Jimmi Hendrix really loud and really often

-Susanne