Our car was SHOT

ImaginaryRain

Yea. I'm still wt*!!! over it all.

I was sitting here sorting out seed beads into single-color containers when I heard the LOUDEST bangs I've heard since the 4th of July when someone next door to my mother's was setting off real deal fire works.

I told my son to SIT AND STAY on the couch and ducked for his room- it sounded like it was out back that way. Halfway across his room and I heard another round of reports- and felt them too. Got to the window, didn't see a thing. Didn't hear anything else, either.

About 20min later I went and looked out his window again, and there were Sheriff outside. I went out, told 'em what I heard... and came back in.

And then about an hour later, the guys from downstairs came up and told me our car had been shot! Seriously?! I went out... sure enough. Two bullet holes in the front panel on the driver's side. One hit the side of the fender, dimpled, and fell out. The other one... well, it went right into the engine compartment, through part of the air intake system (I think) and right into the ... battery. Thankfully it stopped in the battery, but the battery leaked allllll over.

Later on we found some more bullets the police didn't get/find the first time around. I ended up showing them to the Sheriff who had to come out and fish the bullet out of the pan under the battery in our car. It's just all so weird and ... unreal!

I should see the insurance people tomorrow. Hopefully we can get the car fixed- we do NOT have the money for this- we just managed to pay rent on time for the first time in a couple months on our own.

There were no casualties (except our car) here in the complex. The Sheriff's officer who came to get the bullet from the car said they thought they may have found a victim (my guess is the guy who was originally being shot at/returning fire) about half an hour north of here.

I'm late to bed now and probably won't sleep well. I'll have to haul a hose down and really wash off the battery crud tomorrow. Holy cow.

OMG! Thank goodness none of YOU were hurt! So sorry for your poor car - an innocent bystander too, but better the car than a person.

I would freak out if I heard gunshots so close by...the most I ever hear is the crazy duck-hunters <who should be cleanin' their pesky guns about this time in preparation for duck season :groucho: :blink: > down by our lake.

Glad to hear that no one was hurt.

Holy crow!!! Glad it was your car and not you or your son!! YIKES!!

Reminds me of why I finally left Seattle - actually saw/heard a gun murder right in front of my apartment one night. A domestic/drug thing gone bad, and I was already on the phone to the police when the actual shooting took place. The dispatcher heard the shots over the phone and the cops caught the woman still sitting in the car in front of my place, sitting there trying to act like there was nothing wrong, and a dead boyfriend/dealer next to her! That got my butt moving out of THAT neighborhood, where I'd lived nearly twenty years. Give me drunk duck/deer hunters any day!

I can imagine you're not sleeping too well right now.... :groucho:

Geeze! I am so glad no one was hurt but how scarey! I don't understand what is going on these days. Someone tried to break into my apartment twice back in Jersey. I keep doors and windows locked tight at all times even out here. Its no way to live with fear I feel for you. Stay safe!

The first time I ever heard gunfire in the streets we were visiting our friends attending grad school in the Summer at Columbia U and we were living in NJ and had gone in to spend the weekend with them; that was the night the Harlem riots broke out, and there was shooting a block from our friends' dorm!

The last time was when we first moved into our house and the property behind us was a hunting camp. I was painting the back porch and heard a "hum-ping-crack" sound and realized someone had fired their shotgun at the house! I yelled out that people were living in the house and would like to continue to do so, to please shoot in some other direction!

I don't care whose rights it steps on....I'm afraid of guns.I do not own one.It's a shame that so many do.It makes our country kind of dangerous and scary.

I'm sorry that your car was shot but I'm so very glad that the family is alright!!

I'm amazed no one was hurt honestly. As the guy down at the end kept saying, we've got a lot of kids around here! But there was NO ONE out there except the guy who may have been the target/returning fire. As far as I can tell, the only damage is some damage to the siding in a few places on the building, and... to the car. I thank heavens everyone's ok!!

I think we have comprehensive insurance because of stuff like this. When we were in Ohio, we had someone tear our windshield wipers apart and then bend the wipers back the wrong way, and let all the air out of our tires. I think that was Labor Day too! Jeez. So we decided to get more then basic coverage- here's hoping. Haven't talked to insurance yet.

Truth is, I don't even wanna be here. If I weren't waiting on their call, I'd probably be fixing to head to my mother's place. There is some irony- my mother moved us out of my grandmother's place in Portland when there was a shooting almost on the front porch when I was seven or eight. Now this? Honestly, until this I'd felt perfectly safe here- we'd not even really had much of the normal yelling/screaming or fighting I've come to expect from apartment life. There's been noisy parties a couple times, people leaving their kids unwatched, people talking loudly outside the windows at late hours...

The worst thing was the robbery (or robberies?) around Christmas- someone breaking into the cars and stealing stuff out of them. That happens randomly all over the place around Christmas time though, sadly, so I can't say it's any reflection here.

Thank goodness you and your family are OK. Once during the riots in Los Angeles my husband and I were driving our MGA Roadster home from UCLA and our car was shot too. In the fender. Left a lovely hole, but the bullet fell out of the car. The front fenders were higher than the engine compartment - if the guy had got us a foot down, I probably wouldn't be here to write about it! And it was scary. We didn't go back to classes until the riots were quelled.

An ex boyfriend fired a rifle at my back in 1988. The bullet went through my hair (he was drunk and a bad shot). I "heard" the report for weeks afterwards and thought my hearing was affected. Needless to say that was the last time I saw that man. Other than cutting off some of my hair, I was not injured.

I made it onto one of the local news stations. I'm such an idiot here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g8q4ubi5vMg

Insurance company will cover it, but we won't know if it's going to be repaired or junked till tomorrow or the day after.

Geez Wolfie... that's even more insane then what happened here!! O.o

Can I admit now that guns scare the holy &*^@p out of me?

Oh, yeah, you can say they scare the living **&^ out of you. Even though I was brought up to know how to handle guns, and there were always guns, big and little, in the house when I was growing up, they still scare me, too. Well, not the guns - what scares me is the hands the guns are so often in.

Remember guns don't kill people - people kill people - using guns. Most gun owners are responsible people who don't run around shooting their guns off whenever they feel like it. We live with guns. We have to. This is Montana and we are remote and rural. We have a property management piece by the front door which is loaded and it would stop an elephant. But we know by living here that a bb gun would not stop a grizzley bear - which we have on our property on occasion. And the property management piece gives us security. Bears are also known to break into houses.....and we have claw marks on our doors.....so we also sleep with revolvers under the pillows.

Let me tell you that you can take away the guns of all the citizens, but criminals will always have them. The criminals, drug lords, drug people, gangs are the ones you have to watch out for.

As I say, guns don't kill people - it's the jerks that pick the guns up and use them against people and against the law.

Nuff said!

My DH has always said..you could take a loaded revolver and lay it on the table...and it only becomes dangerous when picked up and in the hands of someone who either knows nothing about it, or intends to do harm...otherwise, it would lay there forever doing no harm to anyone.

I myself prefer not to have them anywhere near me, however, if I was Wolfie, I'd be packin' :p ..I would not want to tangle with a bear any time!!

I'm so relieved it was a parked car, and that no stray bullets hit anyone. Unfortunately there are frequent stories in the news about local shootings by gang members, many killing innocent people through mistaken identity. Not the kind of thing I anticipated growing up in Salt Lake City - that sort of thing happened in Los Angeles.

Just gonna sit here and shudder a bit... Glad you are all O.K. cars can be replaced/fixed, people can't...

You and me both, it was a tough one to comprehend for sure and I am so happy to hear that you were safe eventhough the car suffered!

Over here the gun and gun permits are really restricted but they are around for sure, not always in the hands that know how to handle them though...

Hugs