Fall Cleaning

kellee

Once the boys are back in school I usually do fall cleaning, clean carpets, windows, move furniture and declutter ... this year i have not been into it yet... I may start this week.... The kids are in school and we dont have any incoming shipments this week... so I am off until Tuesday!!!

Kellee

Heaven knows I should, but I keep telling myself not until I get that monstrous old sofa out of my living room and get down to some serious furniture re-arranging. I am promising myself that the sofa GOES before first snow - I don't want to spend another winter locked in with it. When I got it I had almost no furniture, it was free and better than nothing, but it reeks of someone's old marijuana and is generally filthy. OUT it goes!!

Gotta find a couple of big huskies to haul it to the dump for me - the common currency here for such services is a twelve-pack of beer. Works for me!

It's a goal of mine this Autumn for several reasons. I'm letting my daughter have a Halloween party, so I need all the space I can get. Our community is having their semi-annual yardsale in October, so it's perfect timing. I've already got about 10 boxes of stuff for that...

On top of all that, I've started watching a show on A&E called Hoarders (10pm EST on Mondays) - wow, I definitely have the potential to be a hoarder, and I'm thinking as long as I keep watching this show, it'll be therapeutic in keeping me from going too far - and possibly even get me to throw out more than I would have.

So lots to the yardsale, lots to the garbage and maybe a little to EvilBay if I can get up the nerve to deal with them again....

Yep, but only in October. That's when all the Winter stuff comes out, and all the Summer stuff, gets put to rest, and we do an indept cleaning, moving every peice of furniture and appliances, and a basement dejunking, complete with a paid trip to the city dump. It's just a habit. Never really thought about it as Fall cleaning, per se, but I guess that's what it really is.

I am from the north where Sept/Oct means cool but down here I am still running the AC in the day so I am not so motivated to do fall cleaning...still feels like summer to me! LOL

Now thats what I call cleaning down to the bare walls and beyond Grazhina!

Ah, the differences in the generations. My mother used to do both spring and fall housecleaning - flip and vacuum the mattresses, wash down the walls, etc., etc., etc. Me, it's all I can do to make myself wash the dishes and vacuum the floor once in a while. I need a male wife or a maid, either one would do. :p

I have certain things that I do for Fall cleaning. I clean all the ceiling fans and turn their rotation, clean all the heating registers, wash windows and sills (for plastic installation), clean the basement, clean the food pantry, and re-arrange the livingroom furniture for better heat distribution and the Christmas tree.

That does not include all the cleaning that is done in the yard.

I'm in the process of re-arranging the furniture in both living room and bedroom, which also means a complete vacuuming, washing windows (before winter really sets in - need all the light I can get!), wiping down heat registers, etc. Mainly all the furniture is getting moved because I acquired a wonderful comfy recliner that needed a place made, and also my bed needs to not have its head right by the window, the sofa in the living room needs to be away from the window and the forced-air AC/heat unit (who needs hot air blown on you?). This will probably slop over into a reorganization of my storage room and sorting through the storage bins/drawers that have crafting supplies....I should be busy until Spring!

Our house is located on a heavily traveled gravel road. The windows are open all summer long. By fall the house needs a top to bottom dusting. I always wash windows as I hate looking out thru the frime for 5 months. Woodwork is washed before the plastic is applied. Then the kitchen gets a good scrub down. After that I pick a room and give it a thorough cleaning. This year it iw our bedroom. Rita

I would clean the windows, but this past summer was so cool that I never took the plastic off them. Seems silly to take it off, clean the windows, and then put new plastic up.

I have an arrangement with the spiders: don't put a web where I'll walk into it, where I fix food, or on my toothbrush, and you can catch bugs undisturbed.

The dustbunnies are my friends.

I'd vacuum my car, but I might need that sand and gravel on the floormats for traction this winter.

The oven ... ok, I'll get right on that [pushing buttons]. :blink:

We are still repainting, doing new floors, etc, so it seems kind of useless to do much cleaning. I'm too busy cleaning up those messes! We did wash windows last weekend and dh is working on getting the garage reorganized since the kids moved all their stuff out. I am trying to get my room organized, but everytime I go in there, I get to playing with minis and forget the cleaning!

We are still repainting, doing new floors, etc, so it seems kind of useless to do much cleaning. I'm too busy cleaning up those messes! We did wash windows last weekend and dh is working on getting the garage reorganized since the kids moved all their stuff out. I am trying to get my room organized, but everytime I go in there, I get to playing with minis and forget the cleaning!

Now that the roofers are done with the roof above the attic, Dh is up there with DS cleaning it out. He's on one of his throwing away binges.

When I go to throw things out, he tells me no, keep that. When he goes to throw things out it's, I don't know why your mother keeps all this crap.

He did finally throw away the wine rack that was in a house we bought about 20 years ago. I wanted to throw it away when we moved to Maine 12 years ago, but he insisted we take it with us. It's one of those things that gets built into your kitchen cabinets.

The man doesn't even drink wine. The only wine he's ever bought was Cold Duck.

I just checked the trash and fished out a perfectly good radio I had stored up there, because I had another one I was using. He's thrown out 3 lamps. Two were old and ugly, but I used to keep them plugged in up there so I could see. Well, it's a good excuse to buy some clamp on work lamps instead.

I already dragged down into the bedroom the bags of clothes I had stored away. I'm not sure what's in them, because they were buried under tons of stuff DH had tossed into the attic during the past year.

I'm afraid to go up there and see what's going on.

That sounds like my DH and his cleaning. he put all the holiday decorations in the attic, which is fine if he would go back up there now and get my Halloween stuff out! He also went through cans of paint, throwing out stuff he thought wasn't any good anymore-so now I'm ready to do the final touch up on the exterior paint of my farmhouse. Guess what I can't find in the garage!

they ought to make a commercial when we come into Home Depot carrying a gigantic dollhouse and say 'match this color, could you, please? :p

This year is different from other years as we are in the progress of re-habbing a new house and all, which means that we arem't doing all the things we usually do but otherwise yes I do fall cleaning and winter cleaning as well as spring... We'll be doing the bigger tasks as pruning the hedges and oil the back wooden deck after a through scrubbing and the windows but the inside will have to wait a little so we'll do a combined winter fall cleaning I suspect. Just not enough time to do it all >sigh< the RL job does indeed steal to much time at times, especially when one is studying alongside it as well.

Hugs

I just hope large garbage pickup doesn't come too soon! My chestnut tree doesn't drop it's leaves until the snow is almost here. It's the only tree from which I really try to bag leaves. Having about 25 trees, I put the leaves in a compost pile, but the chestnut is too far to the back (lot is 235 feet deep), and the spiny husks and chestnuts are a nuisance.

We've had an unusual year. My husband has been sick, and I've been re-painting the kitchen and now the bathroom. I have no energy left to clean the house, but I try especially when someone is coming over.

My DH never got around to putting up the Christmas tree in the attic, so I guess it makes sense to not put it up now!! :)